da U

Rivals Miami saying: "Deal with Gruden close: Sources have told CaneSport that final details are being hammered out and, barring a last minute glitch, Jon Gruden will be the next Miami Hurricanes football coach. Conference tomorrow."

http://miami.rivals.com/barrier_noe...t=content.asp&cid=1158672&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid=

Dude, nobody knows ...

http://news.lalate.com/2010/11/29/jon-gruden-not-taking-miami-coaching-job/

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2010/11/29/fanhousefanhousesourcejongru.DTL

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2010/11/who_will_be_the_miami_hurrican.php

so, to go off on a tangent, is a new "OB" in the works for Miami, or are they just gonna use Dolphin Stadium forever?

Yeah I don't really get hiring Gruden. His latest stint as a college coach was a wide receivers coach at Pitt for one year, and it was nearly 20 years ago. If it were a school like Tech, I might understand the thought that he could help in luring NFL talent, but Miami isn't exactly hurting for that right now.

The only place he's ever stayed at for more than four years was Tampa, so I'd say it's unlikely he would plan on being there for very long.

they listed a top 5 in the palm beach post. names on it included: jon gruden, mario cristobal (that'd be a good hire for them, he's taken FIU from not having a team to a bowl game in 5 years), endsall from uconn (another good pick) and mike stoops.

From what I'm seeing, it seems like Gruden is a done deal. Press conference is allegedly either on Wednesday or Thursday. $15 million over 4 years.

Yeah I don't really get hiring Gruden. His latest stint as a college coach was a wide receivers coach at Pitt for one year, and it was nearly 20 years ago. If it were a school like Tech, I might understand the thought that he could help in luring NFL talent, but Miami isn't exactly hurting for that right now.

The only place he's ever stayed at for more than four years was Tampa, so I'd say it's unlikely he would plan on being there for very long.

Gruden brings same NFL lure as Groh.
He's been coaching his son in HS in his 'spare time'.
He can think smart (good strategy coach), and speak stupid (communicate with duh-u, lots o talent, not so lots o brain football players).
I wonder how his discipline would be.
I'd expect him to be jimmy johnson 2.0, which may be what duh-u fans want now that they haven't had an on field brawl for a few games.
I think it would be a pretty good look... I mean, hire.

All of this talk though... no Whipple? Really? If he doesn't get an offer to be HC at duh-u, Shirley (RIP Leslie) someone will be offering him somewhere soon, right?

I hope Gruden starts a raging tire-fire of NCAA violations down at duh-U which will make UNC look like a pack of matches. :D

So...what's the big deal about Gruden? If Mullen really would accept a job down there, I really, really, really don't get why they're so crazy about Gruden and not Mullen. If they just wanted a coach who did decently in the NFL, they could have just stolen Al Groh from us.

I'd be much more afraid of the coach that turned Mississippi State around (Mullen) that I would be a coach that was fired by Tampa Bay and has been a talking head on TV (Gruden). I think folks love Gruden because he walks around with a scowl on his face - very impressive coach-like.

Gruden will be happy to steal Miami's money for a while.

I agree, I don't quite get the allure of Gruden. I mean he seems like a somewhat decent coach but he hasn't done much other than win a Super Bowl based off of a previous coaches effort and players. I mean hell he gave a thanks to the previous coach when he accepted the Lombardi trophy. Now this fact may prove the most dangerous since Miami does actually have some talent there, but in a few years?

Granted, wouldn't surprise me if that is exactly what Miami is gambling for, they want a national championship as fast as possible and don't care if it falls to **** afterward.

Gruden will be good name recognition for the ACC. As for the football, CPJ will explode his NFL brain, just like with Grantham.

How many coaches have come from the NFL to college then been successful? I can think of a lot of NFL coaches that have come to college level and failed including everyone from Bill Walsh down to the fat guy at ND. The only one I can think of is Pete Carroll.

This is definitely an upgrade for UM. Shannon was a bad HC that was propped up by some pretty good assistants.

How can the U afford Gruden? The espn report states 4 years for 13-16 million. Does Donna Shalala **** money.

it's a private school so tuition can go pretty much wherever they want it to...am I right? If they think having a good football team will improve their university more so than better professors, the prez can adjust the budget with little to know questions asked correct? Perhaps that's where they get the money.

I believe a combination of donors stepping up with some $$$ and the new ESPN TV contract has infused some cash to their AA.

Hasn't anyone see the track record for former NFL coaches at the college ranks? Besides Pete Carroll, it's miserable! Weis, Wannstedt, Callahan, Gailey come to mind quickly and there are many others as well.

Yea, I coach with a guy that played and coached under him. He still keeps in touch with Leach and said that if Miami offered him, he would definitely consider it.
I would think Leach would fit well with Hurricanes.He is wild on offense and maybe strighten the wild crowd out himself.I bet the air would be full of footballs and attendance would skyrocket.He is great offensive coach and understands the passing game .If he went to the U and has time and a defense he could be trouble.:rotfl:

Back