da U

I'm sure he is going to love being patient and teaching that raw 18 year old Freshman QB. :laugher:

*WHEW*

SOOO glad Miami didn't hire Dan Mullen or Mike Leach. That was close.

Hasn't anyone see the track record for former NFL coaches at the college ranks? Besides Pete Carroll, it's miserable! Weis, Wannstedt, Callahan, Gailey come to mind quickly and there are many others as well.

I'm not sure if even Carroll counts as that. His NFL career is pretty similar to Al Groh's. Plenty of success as a DC, not really any as a HC (which he was for a total of 3 seasons). Considering how things went, I'd call him a college coach who got started in the NFL rather than an NFL coach that did well in college.

Did I miss something? This Gruden thing doesn't seem like a done deal by any stretch.

Did I miss something? This Gruden thing doesn't seem like a done deal by any stretch.

It's been confirmed that he's meeting today in Tampa with UM officials. The rumors are that it is in the "hammer out details of contract" phase and that's it's pretty much a done deal.

I still do. not. get. it. What is so amazing about a .500 coach who's biggest accomplishment is winning a Super Bowl with the last coach's players? Miami might be a little more consistent under him compared with Shannon, but there's no way he's the coach to take them to real success. Successful coaches from lesser programs, like Leach and Mullen, are the ones who would do that.

I expect Gruden to attract even more talent to Miami. Even though other coaches such as Mullen or Leach have already proven themselves on the college level, I think Gruden gives Miami the best recruits. Things should get even more interesting in the Coastal :).

If it is Gruden, how often can CPJ get Gruden to make the Chucky face?

It's been confirmed that he's meeting today in Tampa with UM officials. The rumors are that it is in the "hammer out details of contract" phase and that's it's pretty much a done deal.

I still do. not. get. it. What is so amazing about a .500 coach who's biggest accomplishment is winning a Super Bowl with the last coach's players? Miami might be a little more consistent under him compared with Shannon, but there's no way he's the coach to take them to real success. Successful coaches from lesser programs, like Leach and Mullen, are the ones who would do that.

Many said similar things when Carroll went to USC.

ya and that'd be scary for the ACC. i mean good, it's a legit conference, but we'd struggle like crazy with them more than we do now. apparently it's close to getting done.

Pete Carroll is a chump. He hired a top 5 if not the best OC in the business. Then he lost Chow and his team was human again.

Unless Gruden's brother turns out to be one hell of a diamond in the rough, then this is not a home run.

I thought very, very highly of Whipple.

Of course I am of the opinion that 99% of HCs are overrated and OC/DC are who really win the games for you.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't think Paul Johnson is a great HC. He is IMHO a great OC.

True, but my experience in extreme south Florida is that even in the nice areas, you can't go more than 2 miles without finding a slum.

you're retarded for saying that, because i have lived in south florida for the past 15 years

you're retarded for saying that, because i have lived in south florida for the past 15 years

Irony: You sound retarded for your lack of complete logic.

Because you live there, you can go more than 2 miles without being in 'da hood?'

You'd think in South Florida, you would have your f*** mind rite. Guess not.

Maybe not 2 miles, but I can't think of a single area in Miami where you're more than a few miles from a ghetto of some kind, unless maybe if you go way out to the I-75 area. Atlanta's worst areas are probably worse, but Miami has more ghettos and they're more widespread. You have a hard time travelling any reasonable distance on the surface streets and not driving through one of them.

Also, there is a long list of former NFL coaches who wooed AD's with their NFL experience as "better" than a college coordinator, but turned out to have little success. Carroll's an exception and not a rule. He had Norm Chow and he happened to be able to recruit and inspire kids very well. Usually NFL coaches know X's and O's, but have a lot of issues with players they can't pay and can't fire.

I would think Leach would fit well with Hurricanes.He is wild on offense and maybe strighten the wild crowd out himself.I bet the air would be full of footballs and attendance would skyrocket.He is great offensive coach and understands the passing game .If he went to the U and has time and a defense he could be trouble.:rotfl:

Was listing to Leach today on the radio show he does on Rivals Radio. He could not accept the job due to his ongoing legal issues with Texas Tech and the James family. The only way it could of happen is for him to admit guilt or settle etc. but he stands by what he says happened and will not accept guilt for something he did not do. At least that is his side of it.

Pete Carroll is a chump. He hired a top 5 if not the best OC in the business. Then he lost Chow and his team was human again.

Unless Gruden's brother turns out to be one hell of a diamond in the rough, then this is not a home run.

I thought very, very highly of Whipple.

Of course I am of the opinion that 99% of HCs are overrated and OC/DC are who really win the games for you.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't think Paul Johnson is a great HC. He is IMHO a great OC.

Paul Johnson is a great offensive coordinator. I think he is also a great coach. He prefers to delegate the defensive side of the ball, which is why he hired Groh. I believe there were times last season where Johnson was making the defensive adjustments.

Pete Carroll did the same thing at USC. His specialty was defense. He hired Norm Chow. After Chow left, Lane Kiffin and Steve S??? ( don't remember his last name) took over offensive coordinator duties. Their offense was still pretty good. It didn't decline until both of them left.

Back