Defense improved, or too soon to tell?

justafan

Freedom
The defense played great after that first drive, completely shutting down the run--35 yards on 25 attempts or whatever. Florida State had many close calls or lucky breaks on 3rd/4th and long. Our pass rush looked improved, Romello Height is fast. Big first game for Santucci.

But, is FSU maybe just bad on offense too? They were completely inept on O last year after they lost Jordan Travis. Uiagalelei doesn't seem like an elite QB--Clemson's offense under him was weak. And they don't seem to have a stud RB.

To me the jury is still out on Santucci and the defense. The main thing that makes me think we've actually improved is Key saying our offense struggled against the defense in practice, and we know that is actually a good offense.

To me the jury is still out on Santucci and the defense.

Ok Debbie Downer.

1724594586696.gif

FSU always has elite level athletes. They absolutely have RBs and WRs who could bust off a big one, but that never really happened.

Certainly we didn’t respect DJ’s downfield passing, which allowed us key in on the run with Brooks often playing near the box. However, our defense last year was ranked as one of the worst units in NCAA. We clearly appear better than that after one game.

Their only legitimate drive after the first drive of the game required two 4th down conversion for crying out loud.

However, our defense last year was ranked as one of the worst units in NCAA. We clearly appear better than that after one game.
True, given that we were near last in the NCAA, hard to think this wasn't improvement. I'm still uncertain though whether we have a decent defense yet. Georgia State and Syracuse will give us more data but Louisville is probably the next (first?) good offense we face.

True, given that we were near last in the NCAA, hard to think this wasn't improvement. I'm still uncertain though whether we have a decent defense yet. Georgia State and Syracuse will give us more data but Louisville is probably the next (first?) good offense we face.
Cuse has the Ohio state transfer at QB and still moved the ball well on us running wild cat last year. I’d say that is our first big test

It will be interesting to see how future teams game plan for our new look on D. I realize it’s not like there’s no tape on CTS as he coached in this capacity in this league but adaptation is the name of the game. Because DJU apparently can’t be relied upon to throw >15yds downfield (which I remember was true at Clemson too), it seemed to me we were able to send a lot of late safety blitzes to either overload the protection or proactively attack the run. With a more accurate qb, the risk is much higher to pick out a 1v1 WR well down field. I’m optimistic for sure and there’s no doubt our SOS will bear out the truth.

Improved. Got good pressure on QB. Stopped the run. Didn’t get burned deep. Didn’t give up stupid penalties. Took one drive to settle in but they looked good overall. Good first game under Santucci.

It will be interesting to see how future teams game plan for our new look on D. I realize it’s not like there’s no tape on CTS as he coached in this capacity in this league but adaptation is the name of the game. Because DJU apparently can’t be relied upon to throw >15yds downfield (which I remember was true at Clemson too), it seemed to me we were able to send a lot of late safety blitzes to either overload the protection or proactively attack the run. With a more accurate qb, the risk is much higher to pick out a 1v1 WR well down field. I’m optimistic for sure and there’s no doubt our SOS will bear out the truth.
Also - Efford’s neck roll look will take on a life of its own if he keeps playing like he did yesterday. There’s just something about it.

The defense has definitely improved, it didn't take a lot of improvement to move the needle tho. If the D line continues to improve the defense could be really good.

Also - Efford’s neck roll look will take on a life of its own if he keeps playing like he did yesterday. There’s just something about it.
Cotton candy
sweet and low
Look out for Efford’s
Neck Roll.

There was a cool shot during the game that I want to try to find and clip, from behind the LOS where the FSU guy is about to run through a hole then Efford appears

The defense is improved but we don't know how much. For a while now we couldn't stop a determined run game even if we knew it was coming, so stopping one from a team with a lot of talent is a good start, even if they had their own issues.

Defense is greatly improved. FSU is supposed to be very good on both lines of scrimmage. Scheme was better but run fits and being in the right gap was worlds better. That is coaching.

Back