Delusional UGA fans

techfowl

Jolly Good Fellow
Have another question.

I have a UGA friend that swears that the average incoming freshman SAT score for UGA is higher than the same for Tech. Not athletes - all freshmen.

I have a hard time beleiving that's the case for any subgroup between the two schools.

Does anyone here know a quick way to verify what's what?

As if these guys don't have enough relevant ammo already... I think they are so used to making up stuff that they don't know what to do when there is no fumble...

The UGAG website says their 2002 frosh SAT avg. was 1215, Honors Program 1404.

GT avg for 2003, 1352.

Did anyone else notice last night on the news that once again the state of Georgia was dead last on SAT scores for this past years graduating HS Seniors ?

I'm going to give you my information which comes from having a Junior in high school. The academic requirements we are seeing for UGA are very much in line with GT's.

Reason being, from my daughter's counselor, the Hope Scholarship has reversed the number of high schoolers attending school out of state. Before Hope 65% of high schoolers in GA looked outside the state for their education. Since Hope 65% are staying in state.

That 65% includes the "academic elite" who might have gone elsewhere but are now enrolling in the Georgia schools. That has caused the requirements for entrance to go up everywhere, including UGA. I know her counselor told us that a minimum 1300-1400 SAT is required for UGA and even that wasn't a guarantee of acceptance because of the demand.

She did say somebody with a 1200+ might be considered based on ethnicity, GPA Avg., extracurricular activities/clubs, etc. but they were getting less and less.

The SAT she conveyed to us for GT was about the same. My daughter wants to attend GT and we were looking and comparing all Georgia schools.

The AJC/UGaG page on 11/26/02 (georgia vs TECH:Tale of the Tape)
Percent scoring 600 or higher SAT verbal
uga 51 TECH 75

Percent scoring 600 or higher SAT math
uga 52 TECH 94

I don't know if this was all enrolled students or just freshmen,but there would have to be an awful lot of TECH students @ 600 and an awful lot of ugag students @ 800 for your friends statement to be true.

Golftango...

As the ole saying goes That is the tale of the tape....Just NO comparison...
We need to save that article...It tells it ALL......

Not to sound rude .. but shouldnt this be in "other topics" or something... we have a football game tomorrow.. this is the football forum.

Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:
I know her counselor told us that a minimum 1300-1400 SAT is required for UGA and even that wasn't a guarantee of acceptance because of the demand.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Think its safe to say the counselor is pushing your kid to do well in school, but she is going overboard. If the average SAT score of UGA's honors program is around 1400 and thats basically the top 10% of the school, the 1300-1400 is simply not right. The middle 50% of UGA last year was 1160-1320 (reported by UGA). I'd be quite surprised if UGA's standards have gone up that much in one year ;-)

That being said, the quality of students that enroll at UGA has definitely improved the last few years.

Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:
[QB]I know her counselor told us that a minimum 1300-1400 SAT is required for UGA and even that wasn't a guarantee of acceptance because of the demand.

She did say somebody with a 1200+ might be considered based on ethnicity, GPA Avg., extracurricular activities/clubs, etc. but they were getting less and less.
[QB]
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">My cousin got in with a score in the 1100's. I don't think it had as much to do with GPA, extracurricular, etc. as it did with the fact that so many of my family members went there. Or maybe she just wrote a great essay. Tell your Junior to Apply Early!

That being said, my brother is having the darndest time as an out-of-state transfer (but GA resident). He's in a holding pattern at GPC right now.

Demand is extremely high at all the state schools right now. The acadmic requirements everywhere have gone up. I've heard that even Georgia Southern is turning people away.

Our common UGA-students-are-stupid jokes may be a little less realistic than they used to be. However, uga fans are in a different class of idiots.

UGAg fans have been saying that for years. They're just too stupid to know the difference between 1400 and 1200.

The day GT and UGAg have comparable SAT score requirements is the day GT needs to fold it up.

This is a ridiculous argument. MsTA, your daughter's counselor is a moron if that's the crap she's espousing (probably a UGAg grad who can't count either). Just go to USNews and buy a subscription if you want to compare the SAT scores. Tell anyone who argues that the same thing--although they probably won't have enough money for the subscription.

You can find the avg. SAT for incoming freshmen for most schools on Princetonreview.com if you browse around a little. Look under "351 best schools". Find the school you want and click on admissions.

Tech's in considerably higher.

Originally posted by jacketguy:
Not to sound rude .. but shouldnt this be in "other topics" or something... we have a football game tomorrow.. this is the football forum.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Not to sound negative ... but we might be safer sticking with this topic this year.
tongue.gif

In recent USN&WR:

Tech was rated #1 for all public universities for incoming freshman SAT scores.

I believe uga was #14 (that had be as high as #10).

Techfowl, you have a UGA friend?

The way I was raised and feel about the Dawgs that is not allowed in my house.

Heck I have been known to roll one up to their feet if the group in front of me on the golf course is 4 UGA types in red.

Originally posted by kirbee:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by jacketguy:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Not to sound negative ... but we might be safer sticking with this topic this year.
tongue.gif
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I hear you Kirbee...

I guess I am just one of those who have a little a little more faith and alot more optimism.. in any case.. this thread should be in other topics

So you are saying UGA has more smart people than GT...

uga 51 TECH 75

uga 52 TECH 94

600 or Higher
Enrollment Verbal Math
UGA 24552 (51%) =12,521.52 (52%)=12,767.04
GT 11225 (75%) =8,418.75 (94%)= 10,551.5

So in conclusion, at UGA, over 12,500 scored over 600 on verbal, while at GT only 8,400 scored over 600.

In math, over 12,700 scored over 600 at UGA, while at GT only 10,500 scored over 600.

Sfalco..

You need to look at the numbers again..The percentages are a lot higher for the School over here on north avenue...

NO Comparison between UGA and GT....GT is a National Reputed school....That says it all...

Originally posted by sfalco:
So you are saying UGA has more smart people than GT...

uga 51 TECH 75

uga 52 TECH 94

600 or Higher
Enrollment Verbal Math
UGA 24552 (51%) =12,521.52 (52%)=12,767.04
GT 11225 (75%) =8,418.75 (94%)= 10,551.5

So in conclusion, at UGA, over 12,500 scored over 600 on verbal, while at GT only 8,400 scored over 600.

In math, over 12,700 scored over 600 at UGA, while at GT only 10,500 scored over 600.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">
rolleyes.gif
You cannot seriously think this way.

Back