Delusional UGA fans

PERSPECTIVE:

Many of us remember when you just showed up and took the ACT and SAT. There were no books, no study guides or practice exams, no special software to quiz us. There were no study aids. In fact all that was deemed unethical. There was no "retaining" the exam if you didn't like your first score. There was a time when 1200 really meant something and a score of over 1000 meant you were a pretty bright kid.

Today, kids are awarded 100 points on the verbal just by writing their name correctly and associating each letter with the correct letter bubble on the opening sheet. Im ean get real, they are not taking their parent's SAT.

GT is a great school and I'm proud of it, but I think many Tech fans don't want to admit that UGA is on our academic bumper. To have scores like they do so close to ours with such a much larger student population is impressive. Maybe comparing to their Honor's program is apples to oranges as someone suggested, but regardless they must be attracting some top students to have numbers that high. Let's take off our gold colored glasses and see that both schools are excellent and both contribute to our STATE'S reputation, people, and growth. When it comes to academics, I'm a fan of both schools. When it comes to athletics, UGag can bite my a....!

You STILL cant tell me that UGA is known Nationally for their academics like GT IS....

Originally posted by BLACK WATCH:
You STILL cant tell me that UGA is known Nationally for their academics like GT IS....
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">They definitely are not.
But it takes a long time to build such a rep and they are on the way. With Emory counted, we have three superior schools in Georgia.

Bellyseries...

I was thinking the same thing...
Although they will NEVER be like a UVA or a UNC..2 state universities with an OUTSTANDING Academic reputation....Of course thats why their in the Sec and not Acc...Just a little jab there..Although true......

Originally posted by GeeTee:
GT is a great school and I'm proud of it, but I think many Tech fans don't want to admit that UGA is on our academic bumper. To have scores like they do so close to ours with such a much larger student population is impressive. Maybe comparing to their Honor's program is apples to oranges as someone suggested, but regardless they must be attracting some top students to have numbers that high. Let's take off our gold colored glasses and see that both schools are excellent and both contribute to our STATE'S reputation, people, and growth. When it comes to academics, I'm a fan of both schools. When it comes to athletics, UGag can bite my a....!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I know some of you may have sons or daughters at UGA, but please get your head out of the sand. UGA has a long way to go to catch up with GT. SATs are just one factor and a minor one at that. The highest weighted category is typically academic reputation and that is where UGA is going to fall flat.

But for those of you who are stuck on SATs, here are some sample averages...UGA clearly belongs with the Minnesota's and Clemson's not the Berkeley's and Tech's.

Private
Average SAT: 1469 (MIT)
Average SAT: 1390 (Brown)
Average SAT: 1367 (Cornell)
Average SAT: 1350 (Notre Dame)

Public
Average SAT: 1331 (GT)
Average SAT: 1315 (UVA)
Average SAT: 1300 (Berkeley)
Average SAT: 1283 (Michigan)
Average SAT: 1273 (Illinois Urbana)
Average SAT: 1267 (UNC)
Average SAT: 1264 (UCLA)
Average SAT: 1239 (UC San Diego)
Average SAT: 1235 (UC Davis)
Average SAT: 1215 (UGA)
Average SAT: 1205 (Minnesota)
Average SAT: 1205 (Clemson)
Average SAT: 1172 (UC Santa Barbara)
Average SAT: 1163 (Arkansas)
Average SAT: 1100 (Tennessee)

Jack IT....

YOU HIT THE NAIL RIGHT ON THE HEAD..I MEAN RIGHT ON IT...

You have too many GT fans that have some ties to UGA (Now i know you cant blame them if they do) BUT, they cant get their head out of the sand when it comes to UGA....UGA will NEVER be anywhere near respected ACADEMICALLY as GT....Period....

Originally posted by Jack_it:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by GeeTee:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I know some of you may have sons or daughters at UGA, but please get your head out of the sand. UGA has a long way to go to catch up with GT. SATs are just one factor and a minor one at that. The highest weighted category is typically academic reputation and that is where UGA is going to fall flat.

But for those of you who are stuck on SATs, here are some sample averages...UGA clearly belongs with the Minnesota's and Clemson's not the Berkeley's and Tech's.

Private
Average SAT: 1469 (MIT)
Average SAT: 1390 (Brown)
Average SAT: 1367 (Cornell)
Average SAT: 1350 (Notre Dame)

Public
Average SAT: 1331 (GT)
Average SAT: 1315 (UVA)
Average SAT: 1300 (Berkeley)
Average SAT: 1283 (Michigan)
Average SAT: 1273 (Illinois Urbana)
Average SAT: 1267 (UNC)
Average SAT: 1264 (UCLA)
Average SAT: 1239 (UC San Diego)
Average SAT: 1235 (UC Davis)
Average SAT: 1215 (UGA)
Average SAT: 1205 (Minnesota)
Average SAT: 1205 (Clemson)
Average SAT: 1172 (UC Santa Barbara)
Average SAT: 1163 (Arkansas)
Average SAT: 1100 (Tennessee)
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">In most academic ways the schools don't compete at all. Uga is arts and sciences plus business, law, vet, stuff like that. Tech does entirely different stuff. I have a kid at UGA law school (he's a Tech fan anyway). Am I supposed to regret that Tech has EE and UGa doesn't? The kid wanted law.

Another of mine went to GT nd mjored in psych because that's where she wanted to go. If she had asked me, I would have said go to Harvard for psych, but if you want a big name school, Tech is fine.

Originally posted by bellyseries:
In most academic ways the schools don't compete at all. Uga is arts and sciences plus business, law, vet, stuff like that. Tech does entirely different stuff. I have a kid at UGA law school (he's a Tech fan anyway). Am I supposed to regret that Tech has EE and UGa doesn't? The kid wanted law.

Another of mine went to GT nd mjored in psych because that's where she wanted to go. If she had asked me, I would have said go to Harvard for psych, but if you want a big name school, Tech is fine.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">My comments are limited to the undergraduate schools. Obviously, UGA has very highly rated Vet, Law, and Journalism graduate schools. Although I think these grad schools are still hurt by the less-than-stellar reputation of UGA's undergraduate program, it's a tribute to still be nationally ranked in spite of it.

Originally posted by Jack_it:
UGAg fans have been saying that for years. They're just too stupid to know the difference between 1400 and 1200.

The day GT and UGAg have comparable SAT score requirements is the day GT needs to fold it up.

This is a ridiculous argument. MsTA, your daughter's counselor is a moron if that's the crap she's espousing (probably a UGAg grad who can't count either). Just go to USNews and buy a subscription if you want to compare the SAT scores. Tell anyone who argues that the same thing--although they probably won't have enough money for the subscription.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">She's a Mercer Grad. I believe she was looking down the road here as well. My daughter graduates in 2005. Requirements are going up EVERY YEAR. We've (my daughter and I) have gone online to the Princeton Review as well and seeing some of the other scores mentioned here.

I do have another example - one of our VP's has a freshmen at UGA this year. She went to a private HS and an A/B student. Got a 1275 SAT. Based on the demand for entrance to UGA - she took it over and got a 1350 after additional SAT tutoring. Was accepted with the 1350 but looked like it wasn't going to happen with the 1275.

The old supply and demand adage. She bumped someone out who had the lower 1200+ score and this is happening everywhere because of HOPE opening doors for those 'academic elite' to stay in state.

It may not be UGA specifically that's driving up the score averages but the demand from those students in the Honors Programs staying home now more the before.

Back