Delusional UGA fans

Belly's figures are correct, I hear a lot of spin Drs. say that UGAg has reached parity with Tech. Just go to PrincetonReview.com and check out the facts.

By the way, USNews rate UGAg as a Tier 2 university. Translation for sfalco, "thats not a good thang".

UGA has made a good gain in SAT since the Hope, however, the gap actually increased between the averages of the 2 schools in the latest data.

By the way, the Hope is in trouble!! There was a piece on the news about a month ago that the Lottery revenues are way down and won't cover the cost of the scholarships this year. When other states like SC introducing their own lottery, it takes a lot of steam out of the Ga version. When that Hope money starts to dry up, those smarter lib arts majors satisfied with free rides at UGAg will start going back to UVa, UNC, Duke for lesser grant money again.

Finally, although UGAg has increased their admission standards, its still piss easy if you get in....

I can safely attest to the fact that the academic requirements at ugag have increased substantially. I drove through Athens last weekend with all windows rolled down and not a single diploma was thrown into my car
smile.gif

With all due respect,....save this topic for the library. It's football season, they whipped our ass last year, so who gives a crap about SAT scores, and this type of poor-mouthing makes us look like crap.

GATA JACKETS!!!

College tuition at UGAg for four years: $28,000.

College tuition at GT for four years: $28,000.

Making fun of your UGAg employees after graduation for beating the crap out of them in academics and football: priceless.

gotta give Ugag props here...their SAT scores are not much different than ours. That is a pretty impressive knowing how they have alot more students that we do...alot more (and many of those are of the good looking female race). I've never seen so many southern beauties in one place than Athens.

I'm proud that our state institutions are something we can academically be proud of. Now, their football team is another story.

Originally posted by GeeTee:
gotta give Ugag props here...their SAT scores are not much different than ours (and maybe Ugag is even higher if you look at the Honors programs). That is a pretty impressive stat seeing how they have alot more students that we do...alot more (and many of those are of the good looking female race). I've never seen so many southern beauties in one place than Athens.

I'm proud that our state institutions are something we can academically be proud of. Now, their football team is another story.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Have you been following this thread?
pat.gif

Their SAT's are not close to ours and comparing their Honors folks with our general students is comparing apples to oranges.
confused.gif

How about comparing our presidential scholars to their Honors folk? The requirement used to be that you had to have a minimum of 1400 or 1450 to even apply for a PS at Tech. That was before they made the SATs easier by about 50 points. Now they've done away with a strict requirement, but you will not be a PS at Tech without a score of something close to 1500.

maybe, but I do know they have something like three Rhodes Scholars this year. I hate to say it but that ranks up there with the some of the nation's best schools.

Those are heavily weighted to the liberal arts types, which obviously Tech does not have. Notwithstanding their RSs, those with a degree from UGA will have a hard time finding employment outside of the state due to UGA's reputation.

One thing I must admit, while Tech is great at developing technical skills, it does need to do a better job pushing communication skills (i.e., writing and speaking). You can't make it very far without those skills no matter how smart you are.

Originally posted by GeeTee:
maybe, but I do know they have something like three Rhodes Scholars this year. I hate to say it but that ranks up there with the some of the nation's best schools.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Rhodes Scholar = Liberal Farts

Jacketguy,

My apologies - you guys are pretty specific about about not wanting a bunch of suprfluous crap on the board.

I left this thing this morning and wondered if it would even be answered. I had no idea there would be so many repsonses.

Thanks to those that did, but I'll try to stay with sports from now on.

Here are some facts:

1)51-7 sucked BAD, and to mention it while mentioning academics makes us look like whiners.

2)Not sure if anyone heard today..... Georgia (the state) finished DEAD LAST out of 50 states in SAT scores for this past year.

Things that make you go hmm..... (and be thankful for those Northern kids who bring their great SAT scores to Tech).

Absolutely true story! I went to Governor's Honors with a girl from southern Atlanta. Just in case someone knows her, I won't use her real name...so I'll call her Julie. After GH, we both went back to our respective high schools...graduated...went to college. I went to Tech, she went to UGA. We got together one night at a mutual friend's house from GH and wound up going out a few times on dates. After getting her bachelor's degree from UGA, she went on and got her MBA from UGA (she received it in 1991) graduating Magna Cum Laude (whereas I graduated Thank You Laude!
smile.gif
)

The last time I saw her, she was waiting tables at a Pizza Hut and completely unable to get a job. When I asked her what was going on, she said that the basic response that she was getting was "You're overqualified for a basic, entry-level position; yet you have no experience and your MBA is from a school with a weak academic reputation!"

I will swear on a stack of Bibles that is true. I was actually sorry to hear that when she said it (although don't think that I haven't gotten much glee out of telling this story to my brother-in-law who is a HUGE UGAG fan!) because she is a bright, very pretty young lady. She just chose to associate with the wrong crowd! LOL.

Some people are letting their football loyalties in the way of the facts. The facts are that the state of Georgia has several wonderful institutions of higher learning. I don't doubt for a minute that TECH is the most prestigious and I'm glad for that. However, UGA is now a top ranked public university.

To say that top students will stop going to Georgia when HOPE dries up isn't realistic. HOPE has changed the top schools in the state for the better and for the long run. I sincerely hope that there aren't people here WISHING that HOPE will dry up. Not everyone can go to TECH. Its great that this state now has alternatives.

TECH people shouldn't feel the least bit threatened by UGA academically - that's just silly. At the same time, colleges are about a lot more than football. It behooves anyone who loves this state to support HOPE and the progress at each Georgia institution. Our futures depend on it.
rant.gif

well stated...our rants here about academics and UGA on a sports board make us sound like big whiners. Having good schools in our state is terrific for all of us that live here. Whether you like to hear it or not, UGAg is a good academic school and judging from some of the posts here, some people sound like they are threatened by UGA's academics now..as well as athletics. Some post are sounding hopeful the HOPE will go away to hurt UGA! Grow up..

Originally posted by swGAboy:
Some people are letting their football loyalties in the way of the facts. The facts are that the state of Georgia has several wonderful institutions of higher learning. I don't doubt for a minute that TECH is the most prestigious and I'm glad for that. However, UGA is now a top ranked public university.

To say that top students will stop going to Georgia when HOPE dries up isn't realistic. HOPE has changed the top schools in the state for the better and for the long run. I sincerely hope that there aren't people here WISHING that HOPE will dry up. Not everyone can go to TECH. Its great that this state now has alternatives.

TECH people shouldn't feel the least bit threatened by UGA academically - that's just silly. At the same time, colleges are about a lot more than football. It behooves anyone who loves this state to support HOPE and the progress at each Georgia institution. Our futures depend on it.
rant.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Couldn't agree more here. HOPE is important and has influenced a lot of students to continue the learning process after high school! Many of those students due to family financial ability might not have gotten the opportunties. This is a no brainer.

UGAg is a good regional school. Because it will continue to be Georgia's flagship school and because (as other people have mentioned) Georgia is not known for their stellar high schoolers (as a whole), it will be highly unlikely it will ever reach the prominance of a UMichigan or UVirginia. To compare it with Tech is stupid.

And for those of you who do not or can not understand this, let me explain: academics and football are not completely independent. GT's football tradition is that much greater because of its academic tradition. Perhaps you non-alums don't understand this.

Sfalco..

You need to look at the numbers again..The percentages are a lot higher for the School over here on north avenue...

NO Comparison between UGA and GT....GT is a National Reputed school....That says it all...

The numbers are right, fo rthe most part (I'll explain below). I understand that GT has a higher percentage of people scoring over 600 on both the math and the verbal section of the SAT.

I was making a point in a rounds about way, and the point is that UGA has so many more students.

Many of those are in the liberal arts ciriculum, social science ciriculum, agriculture sciences...ciriculums that do not require someone be in the top 10% of math and verbal students. UGA can afford to admit students with lower SAT scores for those fields of study.

Now I am not claiming that UGA will only admit someone with an 1100 on the SAT and tell that person they can only major in crop science or social studies. I'm just saying because of those areas of study, UGA has a wider variety of students with varying SAT scores to choose from.

That falls along the same lines as the argument that GT can't recruit the same players as UGA because of its' narrow ciriculum. There is truth to that.

But looking back at the bigger picture, UGA brings in as many or more smart students as GT every year. But it also brings in students that are not required to handle the same difficulty level of ciriculum as those in the pre-med or business type ciriculums.

Does the fact that someone with a lower SAT graduated from UGA with an AB in social sciences weaken my degree in business? I think not. But that's just my opinion.

One more qualifying point on the numbers I used. I used the percentages provided in the above with the total number of students, which is not entirely accurate because those percentages were based on incoming freshmen only.

Nevertheless it's a decent estimation. If I had the raw number of incoming freshmen for both UGA and GT, I would venture to guess the ratio of UGA students scoring over 600 to GT students scoring over 600 would be comparable to the numbers presented above or even higher, given that the SAT scores of incoming students at UGA are increasing at a higher rate than at GT.

Bottom line: Both are good schools. UGA his a wider variety of ciriculum. GT has more of the elite achievers in the field of technological sciences. Both schools, students and alumni should be proud.

Jack IT
You have it right and it goes to what i was saying...UGA is a regionally know school and ALWAYS WIL BE !!!!!!!!

GT has a NATIONAL REPUTATION and always will be!!!

To make these comparisons....By all these delusional UGA fans is absolutley ludicrous......

Back