Did anyone hear the Roddy Jones podcast yesterday on Sirius?

Funny, I was just coming here to post his quotes from yesterday's Jeff Shultz article.....

“It’s Year 3, and it’s still not working,” said Roddy Jones, the former Georgia Tech running back and now a college football analyst for ESPN and SiriusXM radio who maintains close ties to the program. “You’re still trying to lay a foundation, and it’s a lot of the same guys. Why are they still so bad on defense? They’re worse.”
Jones, who played on teams that went 34-19 with an ACC championship in his four seasons under Paul Johnson, said Georgia Tech’s 2-6 ACC record this season looks even worse given how weak the conference has proven to be. He believes scheme problems have led to standout running back Jahmyr Gibbs being underutilized and defensive players being confused by assignments and blowing coverages. He also speculates, “I think there’s been some misses, honestly, in recruiting.”
“In order to gain the confidence of everybody, something has to change, whether it’s on the staff or whether it’s the way they operate,” he said. “Because what they’re doing now is not working. Ultimately, it’s a results-oriented business, and showing progress is important. This staff has had to overcome injuries and the pandemic, but so has every team. It’s the way guys are prepared to play, and the names that are making these mistakes.​
“If the league had been what we thought it was going to be this year, I may think, three wins, OK. But it’s three wins with a loss to Northern Illinois and some really embarrassing performances. You saw what happened against Notre Dame. What’s going to happen against Georgia? These are really embarrassing losses, and they’ve happened since Coach Collins has arrived. People are looking at it like, ‘Are things really going the right way, even if players come in?'”​

And Jeff's summary of the situation:

"The only thing likely preventing Collins from getting fired may be the economic realities that accompany the buyout at a place like Georgia Tech, where the athletic department operates close to the margins. Collins’ buyout would be approximately $12 million (salary plus other guarantees) if he were to be fired after this season. The buyout drops to $7.2 million if the move is made after 2022, $4.8 million after 2023 and $2.4 million after 2024. It’s far more likely there are changes to the coaching staff, particularly at offensive and/or defensive coordinator.​
Stansbury declined to comment through a spokesperson Monday on Collins’ status or his view on the state of the program."​
ugh, forgot that the contract is through 2025, jesus Stansbury

some one with more understanding of this than me please explain .. is this unusual? it seems on the surface like it would be.
Not sure I have much more understanding than you, but 24 is a pretty typical size for a single recruiting class. The ones with eligibility remaining probably have the extra Covid year they aren't using.

some one with more understanding of this than me please explain .. is this unusual? it seems on the surface like it would be.

It is a larger number than you'd expect but that's a result of COVID. No more two bonus years of eligibility + your usual RS/Medical bonus years means that everybody's roster is going to go from looking like BYU's to normal again in a hurry.

Funny, I was just coming here to post his quotes from yesterday's Jeff Shultz article.....

“It’s Year 3, and it’s still not working,” said Roddy Jones, the former Georgia Tech running back and now a college football analyst for ESPN and SiriusXM radio who maintains close ties to the program. “You’re still trying to lay a foundation, and it’s a lot of the same guys. Why are they still so bad on defense? They’re worse.”
Jones, who played on teams that went 34-19 with an ACC championship in his four seasons under Paul Johnson, said Georgia Tech’s 2-6 ACC record this season looks even worse given how weak the conference has proven to be. He believes scheme problems have led to standout running back Jahmyr Gibbs being underutilized and defensive players being confused by assignments and blowing coverages. He also speculates, “I think there’s been some misses, honestly, in recruiting.”
“In order to gain the confidence of everybody, something has to change, whether it’s on the staff or whether it’s the way they operate,” he said. “Because what they’re doing now is not working. Ultimately, it’s a results-oriented business, and showing progress is important. This staff has had to overcome injuries and the pandemic, but so has every team. It’s the way guys are prepared to play, and the names that are making these mistakes.​
“If the league had been what we thought it was going to be this year, I may think, three wins, OK. But it’s three wins with a loss to Northern Illinois and some really embarrassing performances. You saw what happened against Notre Dame. What’s going to happen against Georgia? These are really embarrassing losses, and they’ve happened since Coach Collins has arrived. People are looking at it like, ‘Are things really going the right way, even if players come in?'”​

And Jeff's summary of the situation:

"The only thing likely preventing Collins from getting fired may be the economic realities that accompany the buyout at a place like Georgia Tech, where the athletic department operates close to the margins. Collins’ buyout would be approximately $12 million (salary plus other guarantees) if he were to be fired after this season. The buyout drops to $7.2 million if the move is made after 2022, $4.8 million after 2023 and $2.4 million after 2024. It’s far more likely there are changes to the coaching staff, particularly at offensive and/or defensive coordinator.​
Stansbury declined to comment through a spokesperson Monday on Collins’ status or his view on the state of the program."​
100% spot on! #TRUTH

It is a larger number than you'd expect but that's a result of COVID. No more two bonus years of eligibility + your usual RS/Medical bonus years means that everybody's roster is going to go from looking like BYU's to normal again in a hurry.
got it ..ok. that makes sense. covid year and such.

That Schulz is just right on top of GT athletics. He should rename himself Captain Obvious

There are people in the comments section of that Schultz article saying "large donors" are demanding changes and there will be money for it. Unclear if that's just assistants or HC too. Of course, consider the source of the info, but it also doesn't seem too far fetched.

Not sure I have much more understanding than you, but 24 is a pretty typical size for a single recruiting class. The ones with eligibility remaining probably have the extra Covid year they aren't using.
Believe ND honored 40 before our game. I took it as another example that we have a small number of upperclassmen.

Just listening to his pregame presser just now, it is apparent that SOMEONE has had a talk with GC. First thing out of his mouth was his lack of comments concerning the fans. First thing! Still more of the same we're practicing at a high level. Georgia is a really really really good team. We've got to do better. He's as frustrated as the fans. yada yada yada

Believe ND honored 40 before our game. I took it as another example that we have a small number of upperclassmen.
We really have been overmatched this season physically by teams with 5th year seniors and GR players.

I'm guessing we played the portal game incorrectly.

Back