Did anyone hear the Roddy Jones podcast yesterday on Sirius?

The Curry poaching is something i have wondered about given the record. I dunno
I generally thought he'd win eventually but I was partial towards his coaches Dodd and Lombardi
Pretty sure Dodd was behind Curry going to Bama. I know that Dodd recommended to Curry that he accept the job - It seems Dodd had concluded that GT would never return to national prominence so he thought GT was holding Curry back.

If Tech is too broke to fire the coach, then it will be Interesting to see how they spin next season's hype.

Will it be come see the Gibbs show?

Curry beat Alabama 24-21 in 1981, and again in 1984, 16-6(the last time Tech has played Alabama). That probably had a lot to do with the Alabama hiring of him.
Ah yes. 1981. Curry hangs a loss on #2 Alabama in the first game of the season and proceeds to lose the next eleven games in a row (including the 1982 home opener against Alabama 45-3). 1981 also included a 35-3 payback loss from Notre Dame after the 1980 3-3 tie that handed UGA(g) their last championship. Good times. Losses to Memphis, Tulane, Navy and Duke. And all of it coming off our 1980 stellar 1-9-1 record.

1st year 7-5
2nd year 9-3
3th year 10-2

But lost to Auburn all 3 years and you don't do that at Alabama
That sounds like it. I confirmed on wikipedia so don't take this as gospel.

"After posting a 10–1 regular season record (the only blemish being a third loss in a row to Auburn), Curry's 1989 Crimson Tide squad shared the SEC title with Auburn and Tennessee—Alabama's first SEC title since 1981—and earned the berth in the 1990 Sugar Bowl, where they lost to the Miami Hurricanes, 33–25.[7] Curry was honored in 1989 as the SEC Coach of the Year and received the Bobby Dodd Coach of the Year Award.

Curry's three-year record of 26–10 gave him the highest winning percentage among Alabama coaches since Bear Bryant.[8] However, Curry had an 0–3 record against Auburn. Indeed, he would never beat the Tigers in 12 tries during his career. Perhaps his best-remembered on-field act with Alabama came during the 1990 Sugar Bowl, when he castigated receiver Prince Wimbley for celebrating a first down against Miami with a dance. Curry called Wimbley to the sideline, grabbed him by the jersey, and lectured him. As ABC game cameras showed, Wimbley turned away and Curry grabbed his face mask and brought him into eye-to-eye contact.[9]

In early 1990, Alabama tendered Curry a new contract which contained provisions he disliked, including no raise and removal of his power to hire and fire assistants.[10] Curry was particularly upset by this since he'd led the Tide to a share of its first SEC title and its first major-bowl appearance since the Bryant era. He responded by accepting an offer to become the head coach at the University of Kentucky."

I generally thought he'd win eventually but I was partial towards his coaches Dodd and Lombardi

Bill Curry was a good man for the job. He was always very nice to me, and I have never been anything but an average guy who really pulls for Georgia Tech. Coach Curry did a lot of things for fans to show he cared about them. One Christmas, I asked him if I could buy two real Tech helmets to give to my sons. He said it would be against the rules for him to sell me two, but that he would have the equipment manager clean up two and send them to me. He did, and there they were on Christmas morning. Then, when he went to Alabama, my two young sons didn't understand why he left Tech for a team that wore red. I told him. He wrote them a long letter, explaining the difference between red and maroon, and saying they now had two teams to pull for. It was a nice thing for him to do, and he didn't have any reason to do it, except that he was a nice man.

They’re doing that because ND is #5 and uga and Bama are #1 and #2. ND just has to beat a terrible Stanford team and they might be in if Bama loses to uga in Atlanta which is not what ESPN wants. Also if uga doesn’t beat us as convincingly as ND did then go on to lose to Bama, that might bump uga down for ND. If divine intervention helps Tech win this weekend uga might be out period.
Damn....if they lose to us I may have a big bone to show them dwags at the end of the game

Pretty sure Dodd was behind Curry going to Bama. I know that Dodd recommended to Curry that he accept the job - It seems Dodd had concluded that GT would never return to national prominence so he thought GT was holding Curry back.
I seem to recall that former Alabama QB Steve Sloan was the AD at Alabama then and he also had influence in getting Curry to come to Alabama. Some of the Alabama newspaper proclaimed Sloan and Curry as "the Righteous Brothers."

Curry beat Alabama 24-21 in 1981, and again in 1984, 16-6(the last time Tech has played Alabama). That probably had a lot to do with the Alabama hiring of him.
He also went 9-2-1 in 1985 and he looked great in aviator sunglasses.

Bill Curry was a good man for the job. He was always very nice to me, and I have never been anything but an average guy who really pulls for Georgia Tech. Coach Curry did a lot of things for fans to show he cared about them. One Christmas, I asked him if I could buy two real Tech helmets to give to my sons. He said it would be against the rules for him to sell me two, but that he would have the equipment manager clean up two and send them to me. He did, and there they were on Christmas morning. Then, when he went to Alabama, my two young sons didn't understand why he left Tech for a team that wore red. I told him. He wrote them a long letter, explaining the difference between red and maroon, and saying they now had two teams to pull for. It was a nice thing for him to do, and he didn't have any reason to do it, except that he was a nice man.
It is fair to criticize Curry for leaving Tech for greener pastures, but he's a good guy and was a good football coach, IMHO (at Tech and at Alabama). Alabama fans don't like him because he couldn't withstand the pressure cooker that is Alabama football – but to be honest, nobody can unless they happen to win national championships regularly. And now Saban has given them (Alabama fans) the erroneous impression that all those national championships have always just been there for the picking, if only their coaches had picked them, and since several old coaches didn't, they must've sucked.

The reality is of course that Alabama cares more about football than any other program in the country (by some margin, probably). The pay and opportunity is commensurate with that, for any coach that wants the pressure cooker. But it's a bit like wondering why 'good men' don't run for President... it takes a very specific kind of person to thrive in that environment. Bill Curry tried it and it didn't work.

Funny, I was just coming here to post his quotes from yesterday's Jeff Shultz article.....

“It’s Year 3, and it’s still not working,” said Roddy Jones, the former Georgia Tech running back and now a college football analyst for ESPN and SiriusXM radio who maintains close ties to the program. “You’re still trying to lay a foundation, and it’s a lot of the same guys. Why are they still so bad on defense? They’re worse.”
Jones, who played on teams that went 34-19 with an ACC championship in his four seasons under Paul Johnson, said Georgia Tech’s 2-6 ACC record this season looks even worse given how weak the conference has proven to be. He believes scheme problems have led to standout running back Jahmyr Gibbs being underutilized and defensive players being confused by assignments and blowing coverages. He also speculates, “I think there’s been some misses, honestly, in recruiting.”
“In order to gain the confidence of everybody, something has to change, whether it’s on the staff or whether it’s the way they operate,” he said. “Because what they’re doing now is not working. Ultimately, it’s a results-oriented business, and showing progress is important. This staff has had to overcome injuries and the pandemic, but so has every team. It’s the way guys are prepared to play, and the names that are making these mistakes.​
“If the league had been what we thought it was going to be this year, I may think, three wins, OK. But it’s three wins with a loss to Northern Illinois and some really embarrassing performances. You saw what happened against Notre Dame. What’s going to happen against Georgia? These are really embarrassing losses, and they’ve happened since Coach Collins has arrived. People are looking at it like, ‘Are things really going the right way, even if players come in?'”​

And Jeff's summary of the situation:

"The only thing likely preventing Collins from getting fired may be the economic realities that accompany the buyout at a place like Georgia Tech, where the athletic department operates close to the margins. Collins’ buyout would be approximately $12 million (salary plus other guarantees) if he were to be fired after this season. The buyout drops to $7.2 million if the move is made after 2022, $4.8 million after 2023 and $2.4 million after 2024. It’s far more likely there are changes to the coaching staff, particularly at offensive and/or defensive coordinator.​
Stansbury declined to comment through a spokesperson Monday on Collins’ status or his view on the state of the program."​
The fact that a well-respected Tech athlete who is now a (relatively) prominent media voice would say all this out loud, for attribution, suggests that CGC is closer to the end of the line than I thought he was.

Alabama was so into hiring from the "Bear tree" back then that some fans I knew in Birmingham actually thought that Curry had gone to Alabama. He should've never gone there. I remember being mad at him for doing that. Coaches generally have a rough time after leaving Tech it seems. Now Bud Carson went on to be an outstanding NFL coordinator, but never was a head coach again. Fulcher never coached again. Pepper bounced around the alternative leagues. Ross found the most success for a while when he took the Chargers to the Super Bowl, but never really found success in college again. It took awhile, but O'Leary got back on track. (He REALLY should have stayed at Tech)

The fact that a well-respected Tech athlete who is now a (relatively) prominent media voice would say all this out loud, for attribution, suggests that CGC is closer to the end of the line than I thought he was.
I think it has shifted in levels quickly over the past couple weeks. The people who were blindly loyal now have serious issues and questions, the people who had questions now firmly believe he’s the wrong guy and a con man, the people who already thought he was the wrong guy are nearing the point of hating his guts as an all-time embarrassment to Tech football, and the professional media types who were being nice by sugarcoating or not commenting have reached the point that it’s gotten so bad that they must comment and cannot in any way put a positive spin on Collins’ regime.

Kind of tells me they aren't really in touch which tells me even more.

UA AD really liked Curry and he was reportedly recommended by Dodd.

And Jeff's summary of the situation:

"The only thing likely preventing Collins from getting fired may be the economic realities that accompany the buyout at a place like Georgia Tech, where the athletic department operates close to the margins. Collins’ buyout would be approximately $12 million (salary plus other guarantees) if he were to be fired after this season. The buyout drops to $7.2 million if the move is made after 2022, $4.8 million after 2023 and $2.4 million after 2024. It’s far more likely there are changes to the coaching staff, particularly at offensive and/or defensive coordinator.​
Stansbury declined to comment through a spokesperson Monday on Collins’ status or his view on the state of the program."​
Declining to comment is not a vote of confidence. Hopefully changes are coming. Whether we keep Collins or not, we have to invest more in coordinators and assistants.

Back