Did anyone hear the Roddy Jones podcast yesterday on Sirius?

DinnerJacket

Slowly eroding every brain cell
It was being discussed on the radio this morning and I only heard bits and pieces. Seems he was discussing our current mess.

Funny, I was just coming here to post his quotes from yesterday's Jeff Shultz article.....

“It’s Year 3, and it’s still not working,” said Roddy Jones, the former Georgia Tech running back and now a college football analyst for ESPN and SiriusXM radio who maintains close ties to the program. “You’re still trying to lay a foundation, and it’s a lot of the same guys. Why are they still so bad on defense? They’re worse.”
Jones, who played on teams that went 34-19 with an ACC championship in his four seasons under Paul Johnson, said Georgia Tech’s 2-6 ACC record this season looks even worse given how weak the conference has proven to be. He believes scheme problems have led to standout running back Jahmyr Gibbs being underutilized and defensive players being confused by assignments and blowing coverages. He also speculates, “I think there’s been some misses, honestly, in recruiting.”
“In order to gain the confidence of everybody, something has to change, whether it’s on the staff or whether it’s the way they operate,” he said. “Because what they’re doing now is not working. Ultimately, it’s a results-oriented business, and showing progress is important. This staff has had to overcome injuries and the pandemic, but so has every team. It’s the way guys are prepared to play, and the names that are making these mistakes.​
“If the league had been what we thought it was going to be this year, I may think, three wins, OK. But it’s three wins with a loss to Northern Illinois and some really embarrassing performances. You saw what happened against Notre Dame. What’s going to happen against Georgia? These are really embarrassing losses, and they’ve happened since Coach Collins has arrived. People are looking at it like, ‘Are things really going the right way, even if players come in?'”​

And Jeff's summary of the situation:

"The only thing likely preventing Collins from getting fired may be the economic realities that accompany the buyout at a place like Georgia Tech, where the athletic department operates close to the margins. Collins’ buyout would be approximately $12 million (salary plus other guarantees) if he were to be fired after this season. The buyout drops to $7.2 million if the move is made after 2022, $4.8 million after 2023 and $2.4 million after 2024. It’s far more likely there are changes to the coaching staff, particularly at offensive and/or defensive coordinator.​
Stansbury declined to comment through a spokesperson Monday on Collins’ status or his view on the state of the program."​

You talk to opposing coaches, and the first name that comes out of their mouth is Jahmyr Gibbs,” Jones said. “The portal is a real thing, and how many of these guys elect to stay and how many go is going to be telling. If you see guys jumping off the ship, it’ll be clear there’s a lack of belief in the building.

You talk to opposing coaches, and the first name that comes out of their mouth is Jahmyr Gibbs,” Jones said. “The portal is a real thing, and how many of these guys elect to stay and how many go is going to be telling. If you see guys jumping off the ship, it’ll be clear there’s a lack of belief in the building.

I'm in the @Diseqc camp on this one. I believe that he stays since he's only gonna play 1 more year anyway.

He will be returning KOs (when they kick to him) and probably have a larger role in the offense next year, assuming our blocking improves.

Only think he can get somewhere else is a shot at a Natty but I doubt that is overly important to him.

This is what I loved seeing
1637680232731.png

Swofford can't take away what everyone knows we deservedly won.

Most portal guys are players who don't get much PT. There are exceptions, but there is a huge risk to any player who transfers, especially a star player who is getting a lot of touches.

I used to say GC has to be gone if we lose players to the portal, but it seems obvious we just need to go ahead and be done with it. Everybody sees it.

We are terrible and are getting worse. Whether that’s the players hanging it up or GC’s poor coaching, it’s not good.

Roddy called it fair and honest, just like Sean Bedford does. If Demetra ever goes for a higher office in play by play, Roddy-Bedford would be rock solid.

Roddy is already my favorite personality in sports commentary. Can't think of anyone I'd rather listen to when it comes to football.

Most portal guys are players who don't get much PT. There are exceptions, but there is a huge risk to any player who transfers, especially a star player who is getting a lot of touches.

Yea Gibbs is in a good spot here, under Choice’s wing. Transferring is a risk in that you could get exposed in some way, or fall into a platoon somewhere like bama/UGA where they use you like a KR and 3rd down back
only

We also have put his “brother” and a few of his friends on the roster.

I can definitely see guys like Sims, young OL, young DL, the Young WRs, jumping ship if things are falling apart. Also a lot of your JRs are graduating and won’t be surprised if they look elsewhere for their sr year

Yea Gibbs is in a good spot here, under Choice’s wing. Transferring is a risk in that you could get exposed in some way, or fall into a platoon somewhere like bama/UGA where they use you like a KR and 3rd down back
only

We also have put his “brother” and a few of his friends on the roster.

I can definitely see guys like Sims, young OL, young DL, the Young WRs, jumping ship if things are falling apart. Also a lot of your JRs are graduating and won’t be surprised if they look elsewhere for their sr year
Anyone graduating really should go into the portal, even if we are 10-0 right now. I would do it to shop where I would want to get my master's degree. A GT degree with a Stanford masters looks pretty good on a resume.

Did PMC call in to say how we were on the verge of success if we could just get better players?

Anyone graduating really should go into the portal, even if we are 10-0 right now. I would do it to shop where I would want to get my master's degree. A GT degree with a Stanford masters looks pretty good on a resume.

It’s cute that you think education is the reason guys are going into the portal; or has an influence on CFB player decisions

I wonder who all will be taking part in senior day
Especially those who still have time on their clock

It’s cute that you think education is the reason guys are going into the portal; or has an influence on CFB player decisions
Most guys are not going into the portal for the NFL. They are there because the writing is on the wall where they are playing. Very few are the top shelf talent.

Back