Dispelling the Billy O'Brien Myth.....

**DONOTDELETE**

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Dispelling the Billy O\'Brien Myth.....

Most intriguing comment yesterday by gailey was in response to a question.. Don't remember the exact question but paraphrasing it was something to the effect of, "Why didn't we attempt to keep Billy O'Brien"... Not just his words but gailey's response was kinda stunning... He becamee animated and said something to the effect of, "It wasn't our choice, the man found another job and wanted to leave"...

Hasn't the party line been that gailey wanted BOB out due to lack of offensive production/QB development last year?... BTW, wasn't BOB blamed for AJ & Bilbo's performance last year? What say you now, boys?

Re: Dispelling the Billy O\'Brien Myth.....

Beebad....AGAIN your making something out of NOTHING!!!!!! ANYTHING you can ,to twist anything and everything to suit YOUR agenda...

Really!!! ARE YOU A UGA fan on here attempting to stir up trouble at every turn??

You still havent answered BOR and his question to you!!!!!!

Anyone else that was there want to give their version of this statement before I take BeeBad's post as absolute truth?

Although, I would venture to bet the Gailey was trying to be diplomatic about what really happened.

Of course Gailey was being diplomatic.The guy is one CLASS act..Unlike these childish spurts of venom that come from Beebad....

Granted this is second hand, but...

BOB reportedly told folks that he was getting out while the getting was good

Originally posted by BeeBad:
Most intriguing comment yesterday by gailey was in response to a question.. Don't remember the exact question but paraphrasing it was something to the effect of, "Why didn't we attempt to keep Billy O'Brien"... Not just his words but gailey's response was kinda stunning... He becamee animated and said something to the effect of, "It wasn't our choice, the man found another job and wanted to leave"...

Hasn't the party line been that gailey wanted BOB out due to lack of offensive production/QB development last year?... BTW, wasn't BOB blamed for AJ & Bilbo's performance last year? What say you now, boys?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">No flame, seriously, but I was there and didn't really see it that way. Gailey was not 'animated' or at least not as I define the word. I don't think he was expecting the question and was somewhat caught off-guard. I don't think any of us really know the situation, but, for whatever reason, BOB didn't want to be here.

Maybe he didn't get along with Gailey; maybe he did, but didn't like where the offense was heading; maybe he was in over his head; maybe the challenge of developing a FR or RSo QB was too great; maybe he really wanted to work for Friedgen; maybe he needed a change of scenery - nobody knows but BOB. Bottom line, like Gailey said, he didn't want to be here....

My second-hand informer told me that BOB realized he was in over
his head. Actually, Chan was very patient with BOB.
BeeBad,do you really believe that
Chan would really chastise BOB in a
public forum? Get real!

BeeSerk's response is the most reasonable answer: "Although, I would venture to bet Gailey was trying to be diplomatic about what really happened".

It is the reply you would expect from most head coaches in a similar situation.

Father Time

I was at lunch and I beeleave it was more like this:

"He had another opportunity and said he wanted to leave. We don't want anybody who does not want to be here."

Much like O'Liar used to say when a recroot when the other way: If you don't want to be here, fine, but we'll win with you or without you.

Chan might have wanted him gone as much as he wanted to leave but I know Chan would not say that in public.

What did you want Chan to say? He sucked as OC and I gave him the boot? Come on BeeBad you know Chan isn't going to say something like that. Sounds to me like he made a very PC statement.

I was there. IM79's version is closer if not exactly what CCGs' words were on the matter.

Who is not glad that BO'B left? Who doesn't think we can't do worse without him? From the time he took over our offensive production plummeted worse than the stock market in 2000.

Glad he left or not???...
Hmmm... I'm just satisfied that this season we know that CG is calling the plays...
Finally after two seasons of questions about what the offense was or wasn't doing, and who or who wasn't doing it we have a coach who has taken it upon himself to say I'm the one, I'll take responsibility... I'll play it the way I want to play it PERIOD...
I'm excited for this season to begin and to see what CG does with a college QB and a college offense...
Instead of looking back I wish some of you would look forward and discuss what you think our offense may do or not do game to game...
Of course there are those of you among us who will still debate Pepper Rogers leaving us for that horrid Westwood High... and the pros and cons of that historical moment...

Still think the truth to this is that BOB wasn't quite ready for the OC responsibility. He's still young in coaching years and could do with some seasoning. I think that took Chan by surprise after all the talk he heard about him and that he wasn't expecting what he got. Hope Billy gets things back on track, having the Fridge back as his mentor can only help.

In a related thought, I think O'Leary promoted Roof too early as well. Ted will be a great coach I think, but OJT is tough in D-1. Duke is benefitting now from the pain we went through.

didn't take long for the spin to come out huh beebad?

LOL

bottom feeders and bottom dwellers .. tsk tsk tsk

"Getting out while the getting was good"

Not discounting that this was his stated position, but I don't consider taking a demotion of substantial proprortion (in stature and pay) to be a great career move.

I found it interesting that while BOB was interviewing the year before with the NFL for OC and QB coach positions, in one years timeframe he had to resort to taking a position coach under an old mentor of his.

While he will be part of a highly regarded staff at UM, and may in fact eventually be OC, for a guy who was about getting as fast forward as possible, this is certainly not a "step up".

Seems interesting that took that demotion - unless he had no where else to go.

casbah said
Hmmm... I'm just satisfied that this season we know that CG is calling the plays...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">And you know for a fact he didn't last year?

Just curious, if he sucks so bad, why would Ralph want him back?

Originally posted by DaveTech:

Just curious, if he sucks so bad, why would Ralph want him back?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">just curious .. if he's so good .. why didn't he go find himself another job as OC in one of the 117 div-1 schools out there? well 116 cause he didn't want to be here at tech. why did he feel necessary to go back to his mentor? maybe he wasn't ready he felt. if getting out of tech was good, why did he not find another OC position?

oh and by the way DaveTech .. we do know for fact that OBrien was calling plays last year.

Gailey has said so himself

*and* when suggs played the lights out 1st half against UVa .. he made a comment about how he was on the fields calling plays and it was like being an OC instead of OBrien.

DaveTech... earlier during August or late July Gailey said (I believe in the AJC) that he was not calling the plays last season and that it was difficult for him to not jump in and take over when things weren't running smoothly... just what I read sir...

besides BOB jumped at the chance to be a defensive coach, which by the by was his position in college... not QB ... just to point out that in spite of the play calling what the Jackets needed last year was someone to help develop the QB's... they showed little or no upward progression through the course of the entire season... the best play calling in the world won't be worth a hoot if someone doesn't know how to execute... and our guys rarely executed...

So now back to point... I'm glad that at the end of this season CG will get much glory or much gloom... either way I think it will be much more clear what the personality of this team is and will be under CG

casbah .. tiarb posted earlier (and i took his word for it cause his word is good and i'm too lazy or don't give a damn to check) that O'Brien was moved to the offensive side of the coaching staff at UMd

Back