Dispelling the Billy O'Brien Myth.....

Re: Dispelling the Billy O\'Brien Myth.....

Originally posted by kingbee:
I can not believe that you people are still discussing BOB's departure. Shouldn't you all be concentrating on the situation at hand (the 2003 season)? ...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Why the Hell would you take the time to post that this thread is irrelevant? I'll decide for myself what is important to me, thank you very much.

Communist.

To say that Teddy Roof was over his head was an understatement, he was lost, with out a map or compass. He was on the job just to keep the Alums who remembered him as a player happy so they (the Alums) had someone to chew the fat with.

I miss Teddy Roof like a hangover and a cold combined, he should be allowed on the campus by invitation only after what he did as an ass. coach.

originally posted by WhatWouldHeismanDo

Beebad, you are without a doubt the stupidest son of a bitch I have ever seen on a Tech board. You really are stupid.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I fail to grasp exactly what it is here you are implying. Could you make it a bit clearer?

Thanks from a reading comprehension impaired guy.

LOL

The V, I think the book is still out on Roof. I believe he was a good recruiter, an enthusiastic coach, and loved Tech. I respect him for all of that.

I am not sure all of the defensive problems were his, because he was saddled with O'Leary's style of defense. I think his tenure at Duke will provide us a lot of insight on his abilities as a defensive coach.

I believe he was loyal to Tech. Yes, he might have gone to ND with O'Leary, but he was not assured of the DC here. Yes, he left to go to Duke, but at least he went there on a promotion.
Also, he had to consider his future and the welfare of his family.

Father Time

This has been my point: we HAVE a BETTER staff overall now than under Oleary (Friedgen being the exception).
I would take Gailey and Geis running my offense over the Kid Obrien ANYDAY..Between Gailey and Geis is a lot of NFL experience..
I would take Tenuta running my defense over Ted Roof ANYDAY..( as Wes said 2 weeks ago Tenuta is one of the best, Once he gets some more players our Defense will be outstanding )
I think a lot of people arent aware of how good Joe is as Oline coach..he has coached in the pros and developed quit a few Nfl lineman out of college..
David wilson was credited with turning Miss. State Recruiting around in the Mid 90s and since he has left 2 years ago they havent fared as well recruiting wise..( I used to read their fan board 3 years ago and all the fans loved him )
Overall we have a good staff..Given time (They certainly dont have all the players yet) we should see the results of this good staff Gailey is putting together..

Proof is in the pudding. We will see how much better this staff is with Bob gone. Roof with his accomplishment with a weak Duke team is being recognized as a very good defensive coordinator. Tenuta, while an excellent coach, is a hired gun and will not be around that long. Just look at his resume. He wants the pro job.

Beebad, you are without a doubt the stupidest son of a bitch I have ever seen on a Tech board.

You really are stupid.

One thing for SURE Tenuta will be here for a few years anyway..As most know he dont have the guns yet on Defense to build a top 10 defense yet..It will take a couple more years of recruiting...And besides a LOT of College Assts want NFL jobs and they hard to come by..Look at Obrien he would kill for one but has no takers..He also has made that known..
Roof..Although a good position coach WAS way over his head here as Def. Coordinator...Anybody with any honesty has to admit that....

Fiesty one, aren't ya wombat. Thanks for yet another brilliant post. I'm just curious as to how long you folks are going to speculate and dwell on the past, particularly when it's clear that very few of you have any idea what you are talking about.

The V,

I agree with Ahso re: Ted Roof. He's getting some big props BTW as the DC at Duke.
Sure he wasn't perfect - show me one coach who ALWAYS makes ALL the right calls. Not even Fridge does that. I pull for Duke now ONLY because he is there (actually I only pull for their defense - that's the best I can do - after all it is Duke). I wish him only the best.

He had to do what was best for him and his family. People on this board who question his loyalty need to take a reality pill. How many of them are working at GT for less than they could get elsewhere - just because of their "loyalty" to the school? Let's see some hands.

I don't understand the petty attitude toward him. Your post reveals much more about you than it does about him.

GTW - I agree and let me revise and extend your remarks

I do not understand these cracks/attacks about Tunuta that "all he wants to do is get to the NFL" so he is somehow disloyal or beneath our standards. Guess what - the only way he gets to the NFL is to do a GREAT job at his current job at GT. That he is being thought of for the NFL also speaks to the talent he has and how he is seen in the coaching community.

I don't know about the rest of you but I want very talented, ambitious people working for me and working for Tech. Our job is to take care of em while they are here and create an atmosphere that attracts equally talented replacements when they go.

Yea you need some stability and you can't have wholesale staff turnover every year but I want people who are looking to be the best they can be. To dismiss someone like Tanuta as "disloyal" is nuts. If you don't think Charlie Taft at MD isn't looking for a head coaching job you are mistaken. And I'll be willing to bet Fridge is trying to help him - just like Oleary tried to help Fridge here. And no one called Fridge disloyal.

The V: You are being way to hard on Ted. While I agree that he was a deer in the headlights, he gave Tech his sweat, blood and tears.

He busted his arse on the recruiting trail. He cared deeply for his players. He worked 16 hour days nearly the entire year. His wife was suffering from a dangerous form of cancer while he was coaching at Tech which nearly tore him up inside.

When O'Leary left, Braine offered to keep Ted as an assistant but was going to knock him down to 90k per year from 150k/year. Duke not only offered him 200k/yr but made his contract independent of Franks contract such that if Franks quits or gets fired, Ted still has a job.

Don't EVER question Roof's loyalty to Tech - he was basically run off and did NOT want to leave. But Braine did what he thought best and I don't really disagree. O'Leary, imho, created the problem by promoting Ted over his head. The same problem he created with O'Brien. Honestly, as coordinators, neither is suitable for the position although I hold Roof in the highest esteem. I never knew O'Brien personally so I can't say much more about him.

I like Ted and wish him the best.

WWHD, I did not realize that about his wife. Have you heard anything about her health since then?

Father Time

billy boy is at maryhadalittleland now. To hades with him. He has no need to bee discussed here. We are 1 week away from the start of redemption and miracles. It will happen if we want it to happen. Does anyone have the heart to dream big, to make the impossible happen for the college you love?

Originally posted by texstinger:
billy boy is at maryhadalittleland now. To hades with him. He has no need to bee discussed here. We are 1 week away from the start of redemption and miracles. It will happen if we want it to happen. Does anyone have the heart to dream big, to make the impossible happen for the college you love?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Every year I hope to ride the wave again that lead us to a MNC. My freshman year was 1990 and little did I know that 41-38, tearing down the goalpost at a dark and closed BDS@HGF, and celebrating "The Kick" with burning couches was only the beginning of greater moments for that season. The ride that year was amazing, and I rode it all the way to Orlando, and tore down the goalposts of the Citrus Bowl.

They were the greatest moments of my sports fan life. I will go to my grave cheering for GT Football in hopes of living those moments again.

No matter who the coach is, who the president is, who the AD is, what the curriculum is, how big the stadium is, or how many 5 star athletes we have, I will always HOPE that we will return to the top. I have seen it with my own eyes. We did it once, and we can do it again.

Actually we have done it 4 times, but who is counting?

"We can do it again." TO HELL WITH THAT AND UGAG!!! We ARE going to do it again only much bigger and better. We are going eventually to need a new and bigger and more classically designed stadium. We are going to avenge 51-7 and never let it bee forgotten. We are going to see miracles, and they will bee hard to achieve, and it will not bee in 1 year because something built to last takes time. But we would not accept mediocrity on the Hill and we will not accept it on Grant Field. We are going to bee a standard for others to measure by if we can just get ONE more person of courage and vision to get involved and for that ONE person to get ONE other person to beelieve and get up off their ass after getting knocked down. And when it happens we will point to the bells', hollis', and bradleys' and repeat "what did you say leg humper?"
'

Hell yeah tex! That is what I am talking about!

Kicking butt and taking names later babyee! That is what I want to see from here on out. No excuses, no rationalizations, no reasoning! Just go out there and play some smash mouth football.

And if some of our younger guys get knocked down an upperclassman will bee there to teach him to laugh it off even if he has to spit some of his own blood out of his mouth. And there will never again bee any excuses. These are OUR players, and they will bee better next year than this year because they are better now than a year ago. And we are going to fight the living hell out of anybody we play. And all I know is Chan is our coach and I support him to hell and back. He has had some bad luck, made some bad choices and I guess been guilty of beeing human. But he is the coach of Georgia Tech and he is leading our guys right now, and I am proud to follow him. I do not give a damn what any reporter says about our team or coach. They have NO meaning in my life. I look at our depth chart and think about what these guys have gone through the last few months and I would not trade a damn one of them for anybody. They are our guys, they will lay it on the line for our school, and they are going to fight for 60. And just as they will make us proud we are going to do the same for them. DO YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS WHEN A VISION EVENTUALLY COLLIDES WITH A HEART. IT WILL HAPPEN!!

Originally posted by WhatWouldHeismanDo:
The V: You are being way to hard on Ted. While I agree that he was a deer in the headlights, he gave Tech his sweat, blood and tears.

He busted his arse on the recruiting trail. He cared deeply for his players. He worked 16 hour days nearly the entire year. His wife was suffering from a dangerous form of cancer while he was coaching at Tech which nearly tore him up inside.

When O'Leary left, Braine offered to keep Ted as an assistant but was going to knock him down to 90k per year from 150k/year. Duke not only offered him 200k/yr but made his contract independent of Franks contract such that if Franks quits or gets fired, Ted still has a job.

Don't EVER question Roof's loyalty to Tech - he was basically run off and did NOT want to leave. But Braine did what he thought best and I don't really disagree. O'Leary, imho, created the problem by promoting Ted over his head. The same problem he created with O'Brien. Honestly, as coordinators, neither is suitable for the position although I hold Roof in the highest esteem. I never knew O'Brien personally so I can't say much more about him.

I like Ted and wish him the best.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS! Ted Roof did bust is arse for this Institute in more ways then one. I believe he's a HC in the making. I have had the privelege of meeting him personally and knowing him for almost 20 years.

I'm glad to hear about his Duke contract - he deserved that after getting the axe here! I would love to see him back at GT one day!

Prayers to his wife!

Ted-- Good guy, wish we coulda kept him
BOB-- Overrated. Lets move on.

Back