Dispelling the Billy O'Brien Myth.....

Re: Dispelling the Billy O\'Brien Myth.....

Spin it Beebad, spin it some more.

Let's dispell this rumor right now. Gailey said he was going to take over some of the offensive duties as far as playcalling goes. He DID NOT want BOB gone. In fact the way I understand it is that BOB would still be the OC, but Gailey was taking over some of his responsibilities.

BOB figured that he belonged someplace else with the people he tutored under, NOT an unfamiliar coach with unfamiliar ways. He probably felt pretty uncomfortable having been one of two people retained from the previous staff. I cannot say I blame him at all for wanting to leave to take on less responsibility in Maryland where Friedgen is quickly building a potential power house.

Remember this quote by Gailey when he took the GT job when he was asked who was the best recruit he was able to hold onto after the coaching change, he said "Bill O'Brien". So stop spinning stuff to make CG look bad. Your aggenda is so damn obvious it's disgusting.

ylojk8: yes I knew that... still doesn't change fact that he left to be a defensive coach... smokey, backroom promises aside... and good point about no other offers for an offensive side of the ball job... many were available, Washington, Oregon State, Arkansas, Florida to list a few high profile programs that hired new OC's, or QB's coaches

BOR: I think you've got it as close to the truth as any on this board... BOB just wasn't ready to be an OC yet... perhaps in the future but not now, not here...
Point is we need to move on... BOB served well here I don't doubt and may he be successful on every Saturday for the rest of his life except those when he's across the field from the Yellow Jackets...

He thinks he's a bad something by not giving Gailey respecting by typing "g"ailey... what an immature excuse for a Tech fan

BOB at least called the plays in the FSU game. Both Chan and BOB were miked and Chan was questioning the play being called on the goal line but let BOB make the decision.

My Question: After all the time BOB had with the quarterbacks and receivers, why did they look so out of sinc all year?

Originally posted by BarrelORum:
Spin it Beebad, spin it some more.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">kinda reminds me of that cellular company ad.

"spin spin spin the globe .. it's your turn to spin the globe .. spin spin spininnnnnnn .. "

ouch my head is spin spin spininnnn

hey beebad, next time you come to the board with "good intentions" .. don't blow a gasket when a loud mouth half breed muggle born mudblood calls your bluff

Why are we wasting our time discussing this? At the end of the day who freakin' cares?!?!? He didn't want to be here (can't deny that whatever angle you argue) and he's gone.

There's got to be something better to talk about. I think our friend BeeBad just wants to hear himself type.

drinking.gif
Win or lose, we drink the booze!

Beebad shows up to the Lunch Bunch and he still can't get it right when it comes straight from Gailey's mouth. Beebad is the James Carville of Stingtalk.....he is so busy spinning he can't stop and listen.

I'm glad BOB is gone and if could just convence DB to go with him we could write off MD as an ACC power course the Frdge would not be happy.

Good riddance. Ever since that FSU play calling I was hoping the door would hit him. Let him mess up Maryland for awhile.

83 Jacket.... James Carville has to be Beebad in disguise.........

I think you are WAY off base here, Beebad. I don't know if O'Brien will be a great coach, however I have watched his production since the peach bowl and I will not lose sleep that he is gone.

I am not sure how CG will perform this year, but at least we will know who to credit/blame.

We will know where we stand in a few days.

Of all the comings and goings that winter, the jet trips to South Bend, etc. I quit on BOB the day the idiot got back and made his infamous "we were all so close to getting out of here" or something to that affect. That was about a week AFTER all of it hit the fan. I'm thinking this guy doesn't even have the emotion to handle a reporter with his tape running. Then, he dangles his New England flirt.

Funny, after opening up vs. FSU with the three straight bombs last year, NCJacket is right, this was indicative he wasn't ready for prime time.

Remember Al Pena (spelling?)

As I recall, he was personally recruited by BOB. About 1 week after signing day, BOB left for Maryland. AP was quoted in the AJC how he signed with GT because of BOB and he was shocked at the change.

Now, this post has nothing to do with BOB's recruiting skills or whether AP would have been a good D-1 player. I suspect a few people knew BOB would not be around when this kid was talked into signing with us; BOB?, CG?.

I doubt we will know, but it does not reflect well on the program as being an above the board, class act.

Wish I knew the answer.

I can not believe that you people are still discussing BOB's departure. Shouldn't you all be concentrating on the situation at hand (the 2003 season)? Everyone has an opinion as to why he left, but that is all water under the bridge. I believe a more productive discussion would be whether or not CG plans on using the same offensive game plan as he did last year, when despite BOB's presence, he was running the offense.

Originally posted by Father WASP:
Of all the comings and goings that winter, the jet trips to South Bend, etc. I quit on BOB the day the idiot got back and made his infamous "we were all so close to getting out of here" or something to that affect. That was about a week AFTER all of it hit the fan. I'm thinking this guy doesn't even have the emotion to handle a reporter with his tape running. Then, he dangles his New England flirt.

Funny, after opening up vs. FSU with the three straight bombs last year, NCJacket is right, this was indicative he wasn't ready for prime time.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">If we are going to be fair to Gailey then we have got to be fair to BOB. 2001, we were one running out of bounds play by our famed Joe Burns from beating Friedgen; We were 1 4th down and 13 stop by Chris Young from beating Clemson (putting up 44 points); and we were 1 stinking punt return or kickoff return stop from beating UVA (after putting up 38 points). So for all the shoulda woulda coulda on Gailey's first year record (and BOB was a part of that as well) he gets some respect. 2 things I see: 1) QB certainly helps both an OC and Head Coach look better 2) Gailey and BOB's philosophies are POLAR OPPOSITES- this is indisputable. The jury is still out on BOB as a good OC. But the jury was out on Roof as well. O'Leary wasnt going to touch Friedgen but I'll say he didnt let BOB have the reins as much as he should have (like he did Roof for 3 years) see the Syracuse game for a good example. They had differnt philosophies and it was fair to BOB and Gailey to part. So BOB parted. That seems to be the right thing for both.

Gnome I agree with your assessment overall. To me, both Roof and O'Brien were questionable hires. They were good for chemistry and to show loyalty to assistants, but I don't think either was quite ready for the responsibility. O'Brien had the benefit of a bunch of returning starters, especially Goose, that made him look better than he was off the bat. Faced with graduation losses and a new QB he struggled, which is understandable for a young coach. Roof OTOH looked bad off the bat due to our generally weak D in the O'Leary years. He was learning on the job and getting better. Duke is seeing that benefit now. Both may be very good coordinators before all is said and done. Neither was at Tech IMO. George would have done well to take the approach Fridge has and hire established coordinators and let them coach.

Originally posted by ncjacket:
Gnome I agree with your assessment overall. To me, both Roof and O'Brien were questionable hires. They were good for chemistry and to show loyalty to assistants, but I don't think either was quite ready for the responsibility. O'Brien had the benefit of a bunch of returning starters, especially Goose, that made him look better than he was off the bat. Faced with graduation losses and a new QB he struggled, which is understandable for a young coach. Roof OTOH looked bad off the bat due to our generally weak D in the O'Leary years. He was learning on the job and getting better. Duke is seeing that benefit now. Both may be very good coordinators before all is said and done. Neither was at Tech IMO. George would have done well to take the approach Fridge has and hire established coordinators and let them coach.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Totally agree. The one thing is though is that BOB learned under Friedgen for 5 years and was a very good QB coach. Friedgen and O said he is a great teacher. I think Nix has the opportunity to be similar (albeit with a more conservative philosophy from his head Coach.) But I agree with your assessment. I really think other than his long relationship of Friedgen, that O'Leary really had people experienced knocking down his door to be an assistant under him. He is a tough man to work for I am sure. He wouldnt touch Friedgen, but he could control BOB and Roof. I thought the 2001 defense where it looked like Roof had more control was the best we had. I still think that if BOB had another year or 2 in the coaches box under Friedgen he will be an excellent OC one day.

Gnome, I do recall the quotes about BOB being a good teacher but he was actually the RB coach until Fridge left wasn't he? I think he only had one year as QB coach before last year and that was with Goose as his QB. I still don't think he was prepared to develop a new QB, especially given the issues we have seen with AJ and DeBo. Not that he can't coach but he just doesn't have the experience to call on that Fridge did. Hopefully Nix's playing experience will help him in that regard and maybe having both Gailey and Geiss around will help as well.

Back