drinking the kool-aid...........

Normally the head coach delegates most of the decisions about the offense to the OC. I think a good coordinator might continue to operate a run-first offense for a couple years to make best use of the skill set of the existing roster. There is no reason to assume that keeping CGC around means abandoning the option long term. I see CGC as more of a Dabo-type head coach who will focus on the personality and recruiting aspects of the program while turning over the offense to a coordinator. We will quickly see if he is able to bring in the players needed to be successful with a pro-style offense, but if he can't, a change in offensive coordinator could move us back to the option.

It wasn't an option clinic but those Ds were knocking the brass out of people.
Abey really struggled at QB for Navy this year and it showed today.
If Army beats Houston, that's an 11-win season. Army has never had that, correct? Even in the days of Mr. Outside and Mr. Inside?
How many games did they play back then?

I sincerely hope that after 10 years we are putting up a statue to commemorate our new coach but haven't we been here before.

Didn't Bobby Ross, ********, O'leary, and Gailey come to a consensus that the scholastic requirements at GT would be an extreme limitation?

Wasn't that the reason we went to the "gimmick" offense?

Has something changed?

I think this is a very Georgia Tech way at looking at things; whereas, historic pragmatism limits hope and opportunity. It’s understandable given our analytical propensity as alumni.

Every coach has and will complain about the scholastic requirements of GT. It didn’t stop Ross from winning an NT, O’Leary from having a tremendous run and CBD and CJH from becoming legends. While some up and down over the long-term is expected, we can win big again at GT.

I support TStan and am optimistic about the future of GT football and CGC.

What we have is a positive recruiter with energy as HEAD COACH. I don't remember the last one. It will be interesting to see if it makes a difference. It should, but time will tell if it is a "significant" difference or the null hypotheses. All the last 4 coaches proved the null hypothesis as I recall, but none of them seemed like a ball of fire salesman to me.

I sincerely hope that after 10 years we are putting up a statue to commemorate our new coach but haven't we been here before.

Didn't Bobby Ross, ********, O'leary, and Gailey come to a consensus that the scholastic requirements at GT would be an extreme limitation?

Has something changed?

I think we should have gone after Monken. I hope he is still around in 3 years.
I'm a huge fan of the option and wanted Monken badly. But this is a terrible post. You can always post this in 3 years if things turn out like you expect. In the meantime, hop on board the CGC hype train.

They defeated Germany, Italy, Japan in 45
that rushin offense took care of the first one. actually helped defeat the third one when they sent 1 million troops screaming into Manchuria.

GT was the job he dreamed about while dreaming in his dreams. He and his wife have been dreaming about dreaming about the GT job since taking the Temple job. CGC dreams in 4D.

50664F04-5E28-4550-99AB-B7CC8521A058.gif

Has something changed?

I think we should have gone after Monken. I hope he is still around in 3 years.
The NCAA is slowly killing the option based offenses with rule changes. In 3 years the service academies may have to make some drastic changes to what they
do. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s why Paul decided he had had enough.

The NCAA is slowly killing the option based offenses with rule changes. In 3 years the service academies may have to make some drastic changes to what they
do. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s why Paul decided he had had enough.
Furthermore, the rules currently advantage RPO offenses by virtue of linemen blocking downfield before the pass is caught. I can see that being a point of emphasis to call as a penalty in the near future, so we need to be flexible enough to adjust to these rules changes. Maybe eventually we'll even get a clear definition of what counts as a completed catch.

I'm a huge fan of the option and wanted Monken badly. But this is a terrible post. You can always post this in 3 years if things turn out like you expect. In the meantime, hop on board the CGC hype train.
I'll say it again. Monken would probably do a great job, but he will be available whenever we like. I really doubt a P5 school is coming calling for him.

In the meantime, we get to test the hypothesis that a modern, high energy, recruiting first coach can't make a difference at Tech. We're about to find out. CGC has the huge advantage that he has sold Tech before and already knows what works and what doesn't work. I have no idea if he can coach a lick. But we are going to find out if Tech can recruit top 25 classes or not, once and for all.

If it all goes to hell (and it might) - people will have a renewed appetite for the 3O and the stability and winning that is associated with it. Give it a few years.

Back