Early Look at 2023 Schedule

ibeeballin

Dodd-Like
He was comparing our rankings to Clemson's, not to our prior years.
He was trying to be funny and use the same concept.

Clemson is losing Breesee, Myles Murphy, KJ Henry, Trenton Simpson, from the front 7. These guys were considered one the best DL assembled in the ACC.
Oh Wes Goodwin is still the DC. Dabo has self-sabotaged his own program by not embracing the portal. Yes talent is still coming but I’m not sure the depth is

GoGATech

Big Dummy
He was comparing our rankings to Clemson's, not to our prior years.
I know he was comparing ours to Clemson's, but his "third and fourth decimal point" comment is coming from him and others saying that our talent only increased by a few points at the third or fourth decimal place, and that is flat out false.

clapper

Dodd-Like
I know he was comparing ours to Clemson's, but his "third and fourth decimal point" comment is coming from him and others saying that our talent only increased by a few points at the third or fourth decimal place, and that is flat out false.
No, ibee had said that the difference between recent and previous classes was .62 to .64. (obviously not 3rd and 4th decimals, but hyperbole). The other comment was that the difference between our ranking and Clemson's is considerably more than that.

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
So there's no need to play the games then. Got it.
Not at all what I said, as you presumably know. But based on recent history, it would be pretty foolish to put Clemson down as a for-sure W for us this year, and not surprising that some people have them down as a likely loss.

Like I said, maybe we’ll beat them (anything is possible) but it would be pretty surprising. If we continue the upward trend that Key seemed to start last year, maybe it’ll be less of a surprise.

JRjr

ibeeballin

Dodd-Like
No, ibee had said that the difference between recent and previous classes was .62 to .64. (obviously not 3rd and 4th decimals, but hyperbole). The other comment was that the difference between our ranking and Clemson's is considerably more than that.
Well obviously y’all can’t read bc that’s i or the data said

GoGATech

Big Dummy
Not at all what I said, as you presumably know. But based on recent history, it would be pretty foolish to put Clemson down as a for-sure W for us this year, and not surprising that some people have them down as a likely loss.

Like I said, maybe we’ll beat them (anything is possible) but it would be pretty surprising. If we continue the upward trend that Key seemed to start last year, maybe it’ll be less of a surprise.

JRjr
Correct, it's not surprising that folks have them as a likely loss. He asked what makes them an obvious loss? Your explanation does not make them an obvious loss.

The Champ

Dodd-Like
Dabo has self-sabotaged his own program by not embracing the portal. Yes talent is still coming but I’m not sure the depth is
Pretty sure they went undefeated in the league and were a top 10 program. The walls aren’t exactly caving in.

Their biggest issue was their QB loyalty and offense. DJU is gone and they hired a top OC. I don’t think they are going anywhere. If they find another Deshaun or Trevor they will be back in the Natty game.

ibeeballin

Dodd-Like
Pretty sure they went undefeated in the league and were a top 10 program. The walls aren’t exactly caving in.

Their biggest issue was their QB loyalty and offense. DJU is gone and they hired a top OC. I don’t think they are going anywhere. If they find another Deshaun or Trevor they will be back in the Natty game.

Not quite an a top 10 program and they won’t be preseason favorites next year either. Lol If they find a generational QB then they will be ok.

They just fired a former Letterwinner so they definitely feel the pressure. I’m not sure Clemson has the WRs for that scheme but we will see.

The Champ

Dodd-Like
Lol If they find a generational QB then they will be ok.
Yes. Has he ever had a great team without a generational QB? So finding a new one will be the difference in CFP contender, or just ACC contender.

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
I mean, they’ve beaten us 8 in a row by a combined score of 322-101 and they’ve been in the top 7 for all those games. They have some question marks, but they’ve reached to point of “assume loss until proven otherwise” IMHO. It’s at best one our least likely wins.

JRjr
We literally had them beat 2yrs ago. One missed block cost us the game. Get outta here with that nonsense. There is only one team on our schedule like that and we put the fear of God in them for about 2/3 of the game so there’s that.

Somebody get this man some koolaid.

GoldenIsle

Flats Noob
Sure wins: SC St & BG
Favored To Win: UVA, BC, Syra, WF
Toss Up: Louisville
Slight Underdog: Miami, UNC, Ole Miss
Underdog: UGA, Clemson
We’ll lose one of the favored games and win one of the slight underdog. So a 7 win season comes down to beating Louisville.

Nehru Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
We’ll lose one of the favored games and win one of the slight underdog. So a 7 win season comes down to beating Louisville.
I like this prediction. A pessimist would move Wake Forest from favored to toss up. I would also move Ole Miss from slight underdog to underdog. I think 6 wins is the most likely outcome.

swampsting

Now with incredulous facial expression
BC is having to break in a new QB too
But they always play pretty tough against us it seems. Hafley’s seat is warm so he’s gonna need a good year

GTYJ

Varsity Lurker
How much money you got?
Syra, WF, UVA should be slight underdog.
Louisville, UNC, Miami and Ole Miss are losses.
We had better athletes last season than now.

stinger78

Jacket by the grace of God.
Clemson's recruiting advantage over GA Tech the past 10 years or more is not a matter of the 2, 3 or 4 decimal points. They have clearly amassed superior talent to all but those others in the top 10-15 group.

When the decimal points are referred to it scoffingly references the difference between players like Fortson (.8728), Shymeik Jones (.8700), Jacob Cruz (.8664), Bejamin Galloway (.8664), Patrick Screws (.8653), Zion Taylor (.8622), etc. and to differentiate (using average stars) between the likes of GA Tech (2.71), Arizona (2.76), Dook (2.81), UVA (2.84), Ok St (2.85), UMD (2.88), Stanford (2.9), Miss St (2.96), Pitt (3.00), Minn (3.00), Kansas (3.00), K St (3.00), etc. All of those and more fall into a range of 0.3, or less than 10% of one another. In fact, in this list, there are 22 programs - over 33% of P5 - that fall into that very range. There is virtually no difference between the recruiting classes of those teams.

Furthermore, rounding to the nearest whole number, there are 18 teams that average 4-stars, 54 teams that average 3-stars, and 28 teams that average 2-stars. GA Tech is in the middle group. This would mean that they should be able to play very competitively with those other teams in the middle group. In the ACC that includes UNC, NCSU, VPI, Pitt, BC, WFU, UVA, DU, Louisville, and Cuse. I'd say that's true. It also means that they should struggle to beat those teams in bucket above them. In the ACC that includes Clemson, FSU, and Miami, plus ND, UGA and Ole Miss. I'd say that's true as well.

GoldenIsle

Flats Noob
I like this prediction. A pessimist would move Wake Forest from favored to toss up. I would also move Ole Miss from slight underdog to underdog. I think 6 wins is the most likely outcome.
I pretty much agree with you … WF is on the road so that will be a tough one. We have BC & Syra at home and UVA is not very good. I’m hoping we can catch Ole Miss napping. We were not even competitive in Atlanta so I think CBK will at least take a competitive team to Oxford. I am concerned about some of the defensive personnel we have to replace, I hope we’ve got some young guys ready to step up.

GTYJ

Varsity Lurker
I pretty much agree with you … WF is on the road so that will be a tough one. We have BC & Syra at home and UVA is not very good. I’m hoping we can catch Ole Miss napping. We were not even competitive in Atlanta so I think CBK will at least take a competitive team to Oxford. I am concerned about some of the defensive personnel we have to replace, I hope we’ve got some young guys ready to step up.
Why would Ole Miss be napping?
Is it because they are far better than us like the way they destroyed us in 2022?
Very weak comment.
UVA was a bad team last season yet they still be us at home at night and I don’t even recall if we scored an offensive TD.