Email from T-stan

ThomsonJacket

I don't know
Thoughts on the email? Nothing really new or informative, addresses the bowl situation (they did state a case for a tier 1 bowl with the ACC office), sad to see CPJ go, the media is full of öööö, coaching search is as private as possible, a lot of interest in the job, understands the date and distance problem of the bowl but excited to be in it.

Dear Georgia Tech community,

Wow – it’s been an eventful week, to say the least. I know from your emails, phone calls and social media that you have questions about our search for a new football head coach and the announcement that we have been selected to participate in the Quick Lane Bowl vs. Minnesota on Dec. 26. I will try to answer those questions in this space.

FOOTBALL HEAD COACH SEARCH

First and foremost, I would be remiss if I didn’t take the opportunity to once again thank Paul Johnson for all that he’s done in his 11 years here on The Flats. He’s the winningest coach at Georgia Tech since Bobby Dodd, he’s led us to more first- and-second-place finishes in ACC divisional play (7) than every other program besides Clemson (9), Florida State (7) and Virginia Tech (7) and his players are graduating at an 86-percent clip (after the football program’s NCAA Graduation Success Rate had been as low as 48 percent prior to his arrival). I’m saddened that he will no longer be leading our football program but am happy for him to be able to spend more time with his wife, Susan, and his daughter, Kaitlyn, after 40-straight years of coaching. We are planning to have a public event to give everyone the opportunity to show our gratitude to Coach Johnson and his family – stay tuned for details.

Since Coach Johnson told me of his intent to step down last Wednesday, I have been actively working to identify the very best fit for Georgia Tech. That person will be someone who knows who they are, knows who we are, understands that Georgia Tech isn’t a “plug-and-play” situation and has a plan on how to be successful here. The only way to learn who best fits is through the interview process, which is ongoing.

While the search is ongoing, I know that there have already been media reports concerning this potential candidate or that potential candidate, and that those reports will continue throughout the process. While I don’t intend to conduct the search publicly, I do ask that you don’t put too much stock into the media reports – some might be accurate, but many will be inaccurate. I can assure you, however, that there is great interest in becoming the next football head coach at Georgia Tech and we will continue to work diligently to identify the very best person to lead our football program, compete for championships and develop and graduate young people who will change the world.

Thoughts on the email? Nothing really new or informative, addresses the bowl situation (they did state a case for a tier 1 bowl with the ACC office), sad to see CPJ go, the media is full of öööö, coaching search is as private as possible, a lot of interest in the job, understands the date and distance problem of the bowl but excited to be in it.

iiwii. that said, recognized mood of alumni/fans and tried to address it. appreciated him not just burying his head in the sand. shows he reads ST. wish his email had a mom joke in it though.

Pretty good email -for those of us staying engaged with the happenings of the coaching search and bowl game, there really isn’t anything new here, but for those fans who for whatever reason aren’t as engaged, this at least provides some info.

“Don’t put too much stock in media reports...”

The media reports have been about Whisenhunt. I take that to mean Whisenhunt is off the table.

“There is great interest in becoming the next football coach.”

So is Art Briles or Mike Leach gonna be our next coach? Just remember, whoever is our next coach competed and got the job where there was “great interest” shown. So they ought to have a great resume that includes winning and successfully recruiting on a regular basis in college football.

I remember when GT tried to sell me on Brian Gregory. No disrespect to Gregory, as I’m sure he’s a nice guy, but please don’t try to sell me on the football equivalent of him.

iiwii. that said, recognized mood of alumni/fans and tried to address it. appreciated him not just burying his head in the sand. shows he reads ST. wish his email had a mom joke in it though.

But which StinGTalk poster is TStan? Hopefully, he’ll make the announcement here first.

Approve and appreciate. I suppose I like him again (for now).

Worth noting that all ticket representatives have been very responsive to emails voicing displeasure with both the bowl situation and rumored head coaches. Seems like a good culture is fostered internally.

Guess I'll buy a bowl ticket through the school ticket office and donate it to vettix.org. Do my part and all
I might do the same if it's not too complicated. Is there enough demand for things like this where there's a good chance the tickets get put to good use or is it mostly eating the cost of the tickets to support the school?

Approve and appreciate. I suppose I like him again (for now).

Worth noting that all ticket representatives have been very responsive to emails voicing displeasure with both the bowl situation and rumored head coaches. Seems like a good culture is fostered internally.
Yeah. I’m pretty mad about the whole thing with Whisenhunt right now, so I’m picking his email apart, but it’s a good email.

Maybe Wiz turned us down and now we actually ARE conducting a coaching search.

Back