Environment and Fans

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
We had a decent crowd last night, and majority Tech fans. I only saw a couple of Miami fans being dicks (probably equal to the dickish Tech fans I saw. Wish the crowd would have been more raucous, though. We can do better.

The whiteout was a flop. I’m astonished more people can’t figure that öööö out. We really suck as a fanbase - 75% Yetman.

A/V production was frustrating as usual. Totally dead with everybody standing around before kickoff. How do we hype up the O for their first drive? The “kids dance cam” featuring YMCA. The mind reels. Good job actually getting a Yellow Jackets chant going at one point, I guess, and it seemed like fewer commercials and “who cares” announcements than usual. Still, the whole A/V team needs to go to a VPI game to see how it’s done.

JRjr

The Yellow/Jackie’s cheer was the loudest the crowd was all night. Idk how you trick a 50,000 crowd to be loud on third down but it would really help.

Having the white out towards the end of the year is stupid. It should be the first home ACC game. That being said go buy a white sweatshirt and wear layers.

I had 5 layers on (long-sleeved mock turtleneck, t-shirt, fleece pullover, hoodie sweatshirt, regular sweatshirt) and was quite warm the whole night. Feet were getting a bit cold but I only had two pair of socks on.

We’ve also hit the point where (like in another thread here) you have to defend the coach and players from our own fans.

Idiot Tech fan beside me, early in the game, was mocking Marshall. Pitch, pitch, pitch, that’s all he can do. Very next play? 20 yard completion.

Then there’s the every game dipshit behind me. We try to draw them off on 4th, and it’s “this play never ever works, here we go again, so stupid.” Miami jumps offside and then we convert the 4th and 2.

Same dipshit when we took the delay before the punt late in the game. Idiot, what are we doing? (Taking a delay to get more room to punt.) Stupid, nobody does that, ridiculous. Beautiful punt is then downed on exactly the 5 yard line.

Credit to a late arriving Miami fan the second time we tried to draw them off on 4th. Paul Johnson football, everybody - this stupid play that never works. (You realize that y’all jumped off on this earlier tonight, right?) “Oh. Our defense is stupider than our offense.”

JRjr

But hey, we finally reintroduced the YELLOOOOOW / JACKETTTTTS cheer.

And the cheerleaders started it off right in the middle of our crucial final drive, with the team telling everyone to shush!

Yeah, the first time was pretty good, and the second time was as dumb as I’ve come to expect. I don’t understand why we are so bad at those sorts of things year after year. Football IQ is really low.

JRjr

I had 5 layers on (long-sleeved mock turtleneck, t-shirt, fleece pullover, hoodie sweatshirt, regular sweatshirt) and was quite warm the whole night. Feet were getting a bit cold but I only had two pair of socks on.

I layered up the same way I did at VPI. Thermal base layer, mock turtleneck, white UA t shirt, jersey. 2 pairs of socks. Thermal long johns and jeans. Combined with standing, cheering, and jumping around, I was comfortable. It’s not hard - it’s all stuff I already have, and wear to games anyway as the situation warrants. People put out zero effort.

JRjr

Last edited:
We’ve also hit the point where (like in another thread here) you have to defend the coach and players from our own fans.

Idiot Tech fan beside me, early in the game, was mocking Marshall. Pitch, pitch, pitch, that’s all he can do. Very next play? 20 yard completion.

Then there’s the every game dipshit behind me. We try to draw them off on 4th, and it’s “this play never ever works, here we go again, so stupid.” Miami jumps offside and then we convert the 4th and 2.

Same dipshit when we took the delay before the punt late in the game. Idiot, what are we doing? (Taking a delay to get more room to punt.) Stupid, nobody does that, ridiculous. Beautiful punt is then downed on exactly the 5 yard line.

Credit to a late arriving Miami fan the second time we tried to draw them off on 4th. Paul Johnson football, everybody - this stupid play that never works. (You realize that y’all jumped off on this earlier tonight, right?) “Oh. Our defense is stupider than our offense.”

JRjr

In defense of the every game dipshit behind you, that play has rarely ever worked and it always costs us a time-out. Paul doesn’t value timeouts and it has hurt us during come back attempts in the past more often than that play has helped us. That said, glad it worked last night as it ultimately led to a score I believe.

The bobble heads thing seemed to go OK. I got there about 5:45 and they had plenty at gates 8/9. Only quibble was the distro points were missable if you weren’t looking for them.

Anybody have any trouble? Any idea when they ran out?

JRjr

A buddy invited me to the USCw v CO game this year.

Good grief, their AV makes ours look like a Speak & Spell

In defense of the every game dipshit behind you, that play has rarely ever worked and it always costs us a time-out. Paul doesn’t value timeouts and it has hurt us more during come back attempts in the past more often than that play has helped us.

You have a short memory. It’s worked at least twice this year. We’ve gotten Clemson with it 2x in a game before. It’s way more than 5x in 11 seasons.

Last night, it put us from 4th and 7 to 4th and 2, which we converted and then scored a TD on the next play. Worth it.

Even if it doesn’t work, it lets us see how the D behaves, and sometimes we go on to convert the 4th anyway. It also sets up occasionally actually snapping the ball out of it and catching the D on their heels.

You don’t get points for carrying time outs into the half/end of game.

JRjr

There were a good number of UM fans in 224/225. There was some chirping before the game and some celebration after the first TD drive, but once we tied it up, they were mostly subdued.

My completely sober comments during the game:
  • Brant Mitchell’s inability to tackle anyone anywhere
  • Uncalled blocks in the back all over the field
  • The fact that Nate Cotrell is fast, but only in a straight line
  • TM needing to cut up field rather than always trying to bounce outside
  • Missed blocks at the second level
Had a guy in front of us complain about someone stomping on the bleachers while making noise on third down, because it was shaking the seat and upsetting his wife. He may have been told to go öööö himself. Security was called, and they lectured the stomper about profanity.

We have a fair number of the “down in front” crowd in 224 as well, but it’s easier to simply ignore them.

Everybody in 127 stood the whole game and nobody complained, which was nice.

There was a huge block in the back on the kickoff they fumbled, and no flag. How do you miss that? We probably benefited from a couple of “let ‘em play” no-calls on pass D, though. It worked out. :-)

JRjr

I’m sure the Megatron bobble heads were cool (I never saw one in person, only the boxes), but don’t you think it would make more sense to use money to hand out a ööööton of pompoms for EVERY TV game?

I wonder how much it actually costs to hand those out.

And I just want to add - my hard to impress 17 year old daughter, who I of course dressed in white and gold, thought the atmosphere was fantastic. She said, “Your student section is always poppin’”. She loves the band too.

Being loud on 3rd down is easier when there is a chance your defense will get the stop. :ugh:

I don't see the problem with the atmosphere last night other than we can't properly have a whiteout. Penn State kicks our ass at those. Penn State could have a whiteout in 20 degree temps and everyone in the stadium would be wearing white.

JRjr
Tech fans are ööööing miserable people.

Back