Environment and Fans

You have a short memory. It’s worked at least twice this year. We’ve gotten Clemson with it 2x in a game before. It’s way more than 5x in 11 seasons.

Last night, it put us from 4th and 7 to 4th and 2, which we converted and then scored a TD on the next play. Worth it.

Even if it doesn’t work, it lets us see how the D behaves, and sometimes we go on to convert the 4th anyway. It also sets up occasionally actually snapping the ball out of it and catching the D on their heels.

You don’t get points for carrying time outs into the half/end of game.

JRjr

I believe it worked against UNC (maybe?) three times in one game. It was kind of unreal.

We have also run plays out of it before, and as you point out we've used it to view how the defense reacts before going for it anyway after the timeout.

It also helps to ensure that defenses can't jump the snap on third or fourth and short, lest they get burned by the timeout play.

It started out slow, but the crowd built until the stadium seemed almost completely full and very loud by the 2nd quarter

Had the pleasure of sitting next to three former 2014 Orange Bowl Jackets..........Jamal Golden, Synjin Days and DeAndre Smelter.
Nice guys. Great to see them there cheering hard for the current Jackets.

I believe it worked against UNC (maybe?) three times in one game. It was kind of unreal.

We have also run plays out of it before, and as you point out we've used it to view how the defense reacts before going for it anyway after the timeout.

It also helps to ensure that defenses can't jump the snap on third or fourth and short, lest they get burned by the timeout play.
It was N.C. State, on the road.

I know nobody cares what Penn State does. They draw 105K to every game and they are loud and make it a very difficult place to play. It would be awful if we could do that. Imagine if Clemson fans weren't able to come into out place every other year and make disruptive noise on third down - because that is what we have now. Yea, it would be awful to have a fanbase like Penn State's. I don't know what I am talking about.

I care so little for Penn State that I have never even Googled what the öööö a "Nittany Lion" even is.

True story.

You have a short memory. It’s worked at least twice this year. We’ve gotten Clemson with it 2x in a game before. It’s way more than 5x in 11 seasons.

Last night, it put us from 4th and 7 to 4th and 2, which we converted and then scored a TD on the next play. Worth it.

Even if it doesn’t work, it lets us see how the D behaves, and sometimes we go on to convert the 4th anyway. It also sets up occasionally actually snapping the ball out of it and catching the D on their heels.

You don’t get points for carrying time outs into the half/end of game.

JRjr

I maintain my position on it being a poor use of resources.

Down in 122 things were full. It didn’t get cold until the Miami fans around us left in the fourth which thinned out the section a lot. I’m glad we pulled it off after antagonizing them all first half yelling “It’s too cold for a hurricane.” They didn’t like that much.

Here’s what we need to do for immediate improvement:

Get rid of student seating in south endzone and move all of them to the north to fill in the atrocious gaps in lower section.

Turn south endxone into bar style ticketed seating ala Chop House with table service. Bonus if beer is served.
No. Move the students to the East lower level like they were when I was in school. As close to the opposing bench as possible.

No. Move the students to the East lower level like they were when I was in school. As close to the opposing bench as possible.
Whatever is fine. Just change the south stands to a bar seating area and move those people elsewhere to fill in empty areas.

I maintain my position on it being a poor use of resources.
1) How many games in the last 10 years would we have won if we only had 1 more timeout?

2) How many times in the last 10 years did we extend a drive with the timeout play, end up scoring, and go on to win a close game?

I'd guess that #1 is close to zero, and #2 is more than 5. If you include the fact that it keeps defenses honest out of fear of the timeout play, I think it's a no-brainer.

1) How many games in the last 10 years would we have won if we only had 1 more timeout?

2) How many times in the last 10 years did we extend a drive with the timeout play, end up scoring, and go on to win a close game?

I'd guess that #1 is close to zero, and #2 is more than 5. If you include the fact that it keeps defenses honest out of fear of the timeout play, I think it's a no-brainer.

This will have to go down as one of those rare times in the Internet's history where a person's opinion wasn't changed by someone else's opinion. It's a dumb play.

yeah but at least we didn't enable a goddamn pedophile coach and worship his goddamned statue.

What I'm trying to say is öööö Penn St.
Well said - except you left out all his other enablers - who should spend some time in jail as well if they are still living.

As regards a fan base, and a fan base only, we are slightly different from psu. As are many schools.

It really does not take a GT degree to figure out a White, or Gold, or Blue, or Paisly Out would work better earlier in the season, and definitely better if a night game earlier in the season.

Crap, make it like a Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta White Out, or whatever. Get a sponsor to help defray the cost of 55,000 White shakers. Charge 50 cents extra for that game for the shaker and donate all of the 50 cents per shaker to Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta.

People can still wear their White gear, but earlier in the season it would work much better IMO, and you would have the benefit of the shakers. Not to mention the public goodwill.

Just trying to think outside the box.

There were a good number of UM fans in 224/225. There was some chirping before the game and some celebration after the first TD drive, but once we tied it up, they were mostly subdued.

My completely sober comments during the game:
  • Brant Mitchell’s inability to tackle anyone anywhere
  • Uncalled blocks in the back all over the field
  • The fact that Nate Cotrell is fast, but only in a straight line
  • TM needing to cut up field rather than always trying to bounce outside
  • Missed blocks at the second level
Had a guy in front of us complain about someone stomping on the bleachers while making noise on third down, because it was shaking the seat and upsetting his wife. He may have been told to go öööö himself. Security was called, and they lectured the stomper about profanity.

We have a fair number of the “down in front” crowd in 224 as well, but it’s easier to simply ignore them.
I thought the line judge did a better job than normal, but some of the other zebras were less good. They missed some egregious hands to the face when Stewart was blocking down field.

I thought the line judge did a better job than normal, but some of the other zebras were less good. They missed some egregious hands to the face when Stewart was blocking down field.
They got the PF against Miami for the downfield block below the waist by the WR. I called it the second the WR made the block. Right in front of the referee.

The Yellow/Jackie’s cheer was the loudest the crowd was all night. Idk how you trick a 50,000 crowd to be loud on third down but it would really help.
How about 'GET LOUD' signs? Or is it 'MAKE SOME NOISE'? I remember back when I was a kid the cheer squad was setup over in front of the student section which was located in the Lower East. Down where the Wreck comes in. They had a PA setup with the head dude cheerleader leading the cheers over a mic which was loud enough (not too loud) to hear in the West. Of course this was back when they also used those placards in the stands to spell out messages during the game. I assume if they tried any of those tactics today people would just complain that they were too annoying. :biggrin:

How about 'GET LOUD' signs? Or is it 'MAKE SOME NOISE'? I remember back when I was a kid the cheer squad was setup over in front of the student section which was located in the Lower East. Down where the Wreck comes in. They had a PA setup with the head dude cheerleader leading the cheers over a mic which was loud enough (not too loud) to hear in the West. Of course this was back when they also used those placards in the stands to spell out messages during the game. I assume if they tried any of those tactics today people would just complain that they were too annoying. :biggrin:

Everybody clap yo' hands!

Back