Expectations for next year

I would expect 5 wins next year. I would predict between 3 and 7 wins with 95% confidence. The schedule is a little harder. I hope a good decision will be made at QB and that we will not enter the season with indecision. Graham is a mixed bag. He made some nice long throws last night, had some good reads and ran well. He also missed Malachi wide open twice on 3rd down, had two drive ending fumbles on RPO handoffs, and served up a pick that was dropped. The decision to go with him will require coaching him up, giI have heard both Diaz and Doreen day on the radio after losing to us that they were disappointed they gave up big passing plays because “Their quarterback struggles in the passing game.”

What are your expectations for next year? We are transitioning from Paul Johnson's Option Offense to whatever Geoff Collins Offensive coordinator decides to install; but the first year will be about creating an offense for the players you have, not the players you want. You get Benson back, you no doubt have a better quarterback, an experienced TE, plenty of skill position players. We will probably get out manned in 3-4 games; but I am confident Ralph Friedgen could put together a potent offense with what is there, so should whoever our OC ends up being.. Add a DC who can coach a mediocre defense and we should be a bowl eligible team. It will be a big job to do during transition; but going 8-5 in the ACC Coastal with a couple of FCS games thrown in isn't some impossible goal.

So here is my expectation for next year:

8-5 with a top 30 recruiting class is the goal, anything above that is outstanding.
6-7 is the base with a top 40 recruiting class, with a likely bowl game in Shreveport or some place. Anything below that will be a disappointment.
Totally agree. Good, not great. It’s not unreasonable to expect this coaching staff to get bowl eligible next season.

But it will be 2022-23 until we are challenging for the ACC Championship and CFB Playoff eligibility.

And I fully expect that. GT will be part of the playoff discussion.

ACC should do real time scheduling. Every Sunday perform a random draw of unplayed teams to generate that week’s opponent.
For. PHD this is a stupid idea. Even if all you got was 5th grade, this is still stupid. Makes me think the sayer is stupid too.

What are your expectations for next year?

Continue recruiting at a high level. Get as many “dudes” on the OLine and Dline as possible. Never lose to a FCS team again. I have no W\L expectations as I don’t believe we have the guys on the lines yet to yield more Wins. 2021, I fully expect on field results.

I would expect 5 wins next year. I would predict between 3 and 7 wins with 95% confidence. The schedule is a little harder. I hope a good decision will be made at QB and that we will not enter the season with indecision. Graham is a mixed bag. He made some nice long throws last night, had some good reads and ran well. He also missed Malachi wide open twice on 3rd down, had two drive ending fumbles on RPO handoffs, and served up a pick that was dropped. The decision to go with him will require coaching him up, giI have heard both Diaz and Doreen day on the radio after losing to us that they were disappointed they gave up big passing plays because “Their quarterback struggles in the passing game.”

I'm not sure if Graham is the future or not, but a lot of his mistakes seem like typical freshman mistakes. I think it's one of the reasons why we never had a freshman as first string QB under Johnson, and haven't had one at Tech since Reggie, excluding injury situations. He's not going to set the world on fire, but he's athletic and shows signs of being a solid passer.

JT turned out to be an all-time great, but here's my lasting memory of him as a freshman:

2013-10-0515_35_15.gif

Continue recruiting at a high level. Get as many “dudes” on the OLine and Dline as possible. Never lose to a FCS team again. I have no W\L expectations as I don’t believe we have the guys on the lines yet to yield more Wins. 2021, I fully expect on field results.

I agree that next year is still too early to have firm expectations as far as win totals, especially given the brutal schedule (if pressed, I'd say about 5 wins). In addition to what you've said, I'd like to see:

1)Improved game management from Collins. I think some of the criticism here has been overblown, but nevertheless, stuff like not calling timeout to prevent the running clock vs. The Citadel shouldn't happen. Like CPJ, he tends to burn 1-2 timeouts in the 3rd/early 4th quarter that could be useful to have later. Show signs of improved communication so that these things don't happen quite as often. Etc. etc.

2) Patenaude and Key demonstrate they can maximize our offensive skill players more. While the O-line may limit us some, be creative and find ways to let these guys shine. With pretty much all our offensive weapons back next year, in addition to some stud freshmen, we should not be getting shut out by so-so teams next year. While there have been some issues with the mesh, the read and speed option have generated a lot of big plays for us and need to be incorporated more. We are not "pro style" in the way that UGA is pro style (and the term itself is losing a lot of its meaning since there's so much college stuff now being run in the NFL) and there's no reason that running some option should be looked at as a negative.

3) Don't get embarrassed by Duke. I don't care that they're spending more, or whatever else. This just needs to stop.

For. PHD this is a stupid idea. Even if all you got was 5th grade, this is still stupid. Makes me think the sayer is stupid too.
Yeah, not sure what I was thinking. Probably something about having a different offense (3O) this would give us an advantage.

If you look at the Box Score for most of our games this season you’ll notice it’s all freshman and sophomores making the tackles. Most haven’t been redshirted.

Thursday night I watched how the OL moved on traps, their pass protection, etc. and really believe they have been well coached. Key is doing a fine job. Believing the OL will be better next year is reasonable.

Back