FIRE PAUL JOHNSON!!!!!

As far as I'm aware, the new CPJ extension (signed in early 2018) has not been released to the public yet. The AJC reported "terms were not made available" which means they'll have to get it via open records request. I don't think they've done that yet. Stansbury and Johnson both made comments to the effect that the general terms of the prior contract were continued, but I don't think that tells us much about buyouts. We need to see the contract to know what the buyout actually is.

TStan cannot fire Johnson, because, in maybe the dumbest decision ever, he just extended his contract to 5 years with a $15M buyout. If he had not done this, we would owe Johnson $1M if he was fired after this year. Johnson deserved a chance to turn things around, but the extension, along with the Danny Hall extension is basically financial malfeasance.
Bingo! what was T.S. thinking on the extension? He's got another Hewitt on his hands now. Tech football is done for sure.

As far as I'm aware, the new CPJ extension (signed in early 2018) has not been released to the public yet. The AJC reported "terms were not made available" which means they'll have to get it via open records request. I don't think they've done that yet. Stansbury and Johnson both made comments to the effect that the general terms of the prior contract were continued, but I don't think that tells us much about buyouts. We need to see the contract to know what the buyout actually is.
Is that kinda like what Nancy said about Obama Care, we have to read it to see what's in it?

Here it is. Scroll to bottom of page.
https://hkm.com/football/contracts/paul-johnson/

Last edited:
It’s a very favorable buyout from what I hear and now that we don’t have Hewitt and Gailey payouts around this is a slam dunk.

Never understood the thinking that we had to extend for recruiting purposes.

Why? So a coach doing a bad job recruiting will be given more time to continue to recruit badly?

Why not say “you have this year to prove you can motivate the guys you have already recruited, and prove you can recruit better than you have. Then we will talk about an extension with even better terms for you.”

But at GT, we just bend over for individuals with no regard for what is best for the school & team.

Never understood the thinking that we had to extend for recruiting purposes.

Why? So a coach doing a bad job recruiting will be given more time to continue to recruit badly?

Why not say “you have this year to prove you can motivate the guys you have already recruited, and prove you can recruit better than you have. Then we will talk about an extension with even better terms for you.”

But at GT, we just bend over for individuals with no regard for what is best for the school & team.
That makes no sense. Recruits see a coach with a 4 yr contract as more likely to be there for the duration of their college careers than a coach with <4 yr contract. That's not unreasonable. And obvs recruits don't want to commit to a school not knowing who's going to be coaching them.

It is interesting to consider how changing the transfer rules would affect the structure of coaching contracts. If recruits were free to transfer in the event of a HC change, it might reduce the schools' rationale for keeping coaches' contracts at 4+ years.

That makes no sense. Recruits see a coach with a 4 yr contract as more likely to be there for the duration of their college careers than a coach with <4 yr contract. That's not unreasonable. And obvs recruits don't want to commit to a school not knowing who's going to be coaching them.

It is interesting to consider how changing the transfer rules would affect the structure of coaching contracts. If recruits were free to transfer in the event of a HC change, it might reduce the schools' rationale for keeping coaches' contracts at 4+ years.

But supposedly grumpy ‘ol Paul doesn’t relate well with the youngsters, so what does it matter?

Back