First they came for the fight song...

I think I just noticed this year that the little "dixie song" measure had been removed from the fight song. I thought that was over the top but this takes the cake by a mile.

I think I just noticed this year that the little "dixie song" measure had been removed from the fight song. I thought that was over the top but this takes the cake by a mile.
Yep, noticed that, too. They've been monkeying with those flourishes since at least the late nineties. A lot of them were just made up by the students and slipped in surreptitiously over time. I remember jingle bells being played in there at one point.

Yep, noticed that, too. They've been monkeying with those flourishes since at least the late nineties. A lot of them were just made up by the students and slipped in surreptitiously over time. I remember jingle bells being played in there at one point.

Jingle Bells

Batman Smells

GTLev laid an egg

it is the next line that is problematic: “like daddy used to do” implies dads are alumni but not moms.
When the lyrics were written, Dads were indeed alums but not Moms:

A History of Women at Georgia Tech (gatech.edu)

From Wikipedia...
Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech - Wikipedia

The Colorado School of Mines version:

Oh, if I had a daughter
I'd dress her up in green,
And send her up to Boulder
To coach the football team
But if I had a son, sir,
I'll tell you what he'd do—
He'd yell: 'TO HELL WITH BOULDER!'
Like his daddy used to do.

In the early 1890s, Ohio State University adapted it and called it "If I had a Daughter". At the time Ohio Wesleyan University was their archrival, hence the references to Delaware, Ohio and Methodists. One verse follows:[11][17]

If I had a daughter, I'd dress her up in green,
I'd send her on the campus to coach the Freshman team;
And if I had a son, I tell you what he'd do
He would yell "To Hell" with Delaware"
And yell for O. S. U.

From the GT faculty senate on 2/23/21:
  • The Faculty Senate voted to support a proposal to change one word in Georgia Tech’s fight song from “cheer” to “join.” The intent behind the change is to signal inclusion of women at Georgia Tech.
  • The Faculty Senate also voted in support of a broader review of the fight song.
  • For more information: http://jointhebraveandbold.gatech.edu/
Seems like this is an old initiative rearing its ugly head again, as the "opposing initiative" linked from the page above is from 5 years ago. (The "leave it alone" petition got 2572 signatures, while the "change it" petition had/has 1699 signatures.)

I guess they'll keep bringing this up periodically until all the traditionalists are dead.

JRjr
Are the signatures verified?

I dunno, it was hard to tell with the reduced band. Sometimes I definitely couldn’t hear it, but sometimes I thought maybe it was in there.

JRjr

Remember “ Clean old fashioned fun”?
They have tried to get the camel’s nose in the tent before

To defeat it, you have to link “join” to something factions of the PC police will oppose. For example, the fight song implies only two genders. Then watch it burn.

Try changing the genders. If it sounds wrong to you then the current lyrics are sexist.

Oh, if I had a son, sir, I'd dress him in White and Gold,
And put him on the campus, to cheer the brave and bold,
But if I had a daughter, sir, I'll tell you what she'd do,
She would yell, "To Hell with Georgia", like her mommy used to do.

What I don't get about the proposal to change "cheer" to "join": Why would a kid be "joining" the brave and bold if they came onto campus to cheer for a sports team? Are we supposed to assume they're talking about sending the sons and daughters to Tech as students? I don't think that is implied by the words.

The more problematic part to me is the focus on how the daughter is dressed but not the son, which is gender normative.

Wait, I thought White & Gold was the official fight song. No one is upset with that one? I seem to recall a reference in that song to assault with a weapon of war. Don't tell the faculty!

One would think "to raise the ratio" would be more woke.

So moron faculty members want to do this? Why does anyone give two öööös what they think? I'd like to see who is on this board and get an accounting of how many baseball, basketball, and football games they have attended - which is the use of the fight song. I guarantee you none have attended as many as I have and I didn't even attend Tech. Better start worrying about your fans.

Faculty members are nothing but paid workers there to teach courses and do some research. Stay out of GT history and sports.
These are your people, dude.

8B58FE7D-C4AC-4004-A435-959026E4B19A.jpeg
He looks angry.

From a woke mindset, it is the next line that is problematic: “like daddy used to do” implies dads are alumni but not moms.
It is a fight song, it isn’t meant to be some cohesive message about the whole of GT.
looking at this board, doing alumni moms seem to doing it liked daddy used to do...

GT Pre Woke:
"Differential Y!"
"Differential X!"
"The hell with differentials We Want Sex."

GT Woke: "wait.. we aren't sure on differentials yet..."

Back