First they came for the fight song...

What I don't get about the proposal to change "cheer" to "join": Why would a kid be "joining" the brave and bold if they came onto campus to cheer for a sports team? Are we supposed to assume they're talking about sending the sons and daughters to Tech as students? I don't think that is implied by the words.

The more problematic part to me is the focus on how the daughter is dressed but not the son, which is gender normative.

So problematic.

How many fans/students are they losing per year due to the current lyrics?

How many would they lose with the change?

these are miserable people who are angry that you're not miserable like them, so they make it their mission to make everybody as miserable as they are, thinking it will make them feel less miserable in their self centered little leftist brains

Try changing the genders. If it sounds wrong to you then the current lyrics are sexist.

Oh, if I had a son, sir, I'd dress him in White and Gold,
And put him on the campus, to cheer the brave and bold,
But if I had a daughter, sir, I'll tell you what she'd do,
She would yell, "To Hell with Georgia", like her mommy used to do.
It doesn't really sound wrong to me, does it sound wrong to you?

It doesn't really sound wrong to me, does it sound wrong to you?
No, I think it's fine and this is dumb. And I'm usually on the "just change it" side of these issues.

I don't worry too much about them changing the word. They can change it but it can always be changed back. I watched the Gordonairs' Ramblin' Wreck from the 50's or whenever the other day, and they said "heck" instead of "hell". Seems silly now and no one says "heck". I imagine years down the line this whole join vs. cheer controversy will seem silly too.

Since everybody is now gender fluid we can do both. No need to change the words.

8B58FE7D-C4AC-4004-A435-959026E4B19A.jpeg
So Brave and Bold

Obvious scum aside, good for the donors there. They won't be able to hold off the idiocy forever, but for now their threats will probably prevent the nonsensical changes the morons are demanding.

I’d hope our donors withdraw support over our songs.
I had the same thought and almost said so, but the more I thought about it, the less likely that seemed. We supposedly had that one jerk who threatened to pull out if we wore navy again, but it's hard to imagine Tech boosters being as passionate about common sense as they are about color schemes.

Try changing the genders. If it sounds wrong to you then the current lyrics are sexist.

Oh, if I had a son, sir, I'd dress him in White and Gold,
And put him on the campus, to cheer the brave and bold,
But if I had a daughter, sir, I'll tell you what she'd do,
She would yell, "To Hell with Georgia", like her mommy used to do.
What you're missing is that sexist is actually good sometimes

No, I think it's fine and this is dumb. And I'm usually on the "just change it" side of these issues.

I don't worry too much about them changing the word. They can change it but it can always be changed back. I watched the Gordonairs' Ramblin' Wreck from the 50's or whenever the other day, and they said "heck" instead of "hell". Seems silly now and no one says "heck". I imagine years down the line this whole join vs. cheer controversy will seem silly too.
Hopefully. I agree the other way wouldn’t have stood out to me if those were the original lyrics.

Back