Football Tweets

Dang, I was in school for all seven of Sisson’s game winners. That’s an impressive body of work. And kudos to Chambers and Manget for doing theirs against the dwags. Butker’s game tying field goal against the dwags, which set up the win, should be added to the list just because.
Happy
Wasn't Scott the leading scorer on the '90 team due to all of his pats and fgs?

[Pepper Rodgers} was the QB. Apparently kicking duties included.
Billy Lothridge was also a starting QB and placekicker under Dodd.... and he was the starting punter. He was nicknamed "Mr. Everything" and finished second in the Heisman Trophy voting behind Roger Staubach in 1963.

He was drafted as a punter+placekicker. He won two NFL punting titles, and held the Cowboys' record for net yards per punt for 40 years. He also started at safety for the Falcons in 1968 and had 3 interceptions. Talk about an all around athlete.

Dodd himself was a great punter at Tennessee in the 1930's. IIRC he wrote in Dodd's Luck that they would sometimes surprise-punt on third down. I didn't understand this until I saw some old 1930's GT vs Florida footage from the single-wing era. A single-wing QB* was as far behind the center as a punter. Now that I think of it, the single wing doesn't differ too much from a modern punting formation.

*He was called a tailback or fullback, but he received the snaps and directed the offense. What they called a QB in the single wing was the modern fullback role.

Wow that we are even in this graphic.

What a misleading graphic! Excludes all teams that have not won a National Title since1978 which is ~110 teams. There have only been ~21 teams to win a national title since 1978 and they have 10 teams on that graphic.

SEC = 8
B10 = 6
ACC = 4
B12 = 2
ND = 1

I didn’t realize ND had not won a natty since the 80s. Thought they pulled one in the 90s or early 2000s.
If the fish eaters could field a kickoff they might have won two MNCs in the 80's

Hey Bud, what did I do?
IMG_2696.jpeg
IMG_2695.jpeg

Back