For what its worth....

G

Geetee

Ugag players were ruled by the NCAA to have done nothing wrong with that ring stuff. All players will be back.

Yeah, that strict disciplinarian Richt now has them all back for what, an extra quarter or two he was going to have them sit down for?

Might as well legalize the whole shebang, certain schools do as they please - you've got dope and ring deals at Georgia, free sporting goods and some bookie deals at FSU.

There is one difference though. Georgia got rid of Jan Kemp and Adams has Steinbrenner and Jerry Jones as role models, we have Clough who basically doesn't care whether we get our brains beat out or not.

I wouldn't knock Clough much, the guy has brought in mad amounts of money for the academic and research side...oh wait, I forgot, sports is more important than academics on this board.

my bad, carry on with your regularly scheduled bashings.

You got that right. The topic of the board is football. If your going to play it, commit to it. If you want to simply live in the academic world alone, then don't make pretenses. You can play Div. III or club level.

As for Jan Kemp, your damn right it speaks well of them to run her off, same as it would for us to fire Moore. These anti-sports radicals trying to get a gig on 60 minutes need to find their cause somewhere else.

Originally posted by Father WASP:
The topic of the board is football. If your going to play it, commit to it. If you want to simply live in the academic world alone, then don't make pretenses. You can play Div. III or club level.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">This is professional...err...no, no...college, right, right, college football ;-) Plenty of big and fast football players out there who just wanna play football. As a few students found out, if you wanna football at Tech you gotta do the academic work. That is real commitment.

FW, that's a pretty scary post IMO. So when Jan Kemp found that Ugag's program was corrupt she should have just kept her mouth shut to protect their football team? BTW, equating Kemp and Moore makes no sense. Kemp found rampant cheating at Ugag. Moore failed in her responsibility to help athletes be successful in class. There is a world of difference. They may both in fact be anti-athletics, but that doesn't mean the situations are the same.

Originally posted by bellyseries:
"Getting rid" of Jan Kemp reflects no glory on UGetanA.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Just quoting myself to make sure FW doesn't think I agree with him.

Originally posted by jimbobGT:
oh wait, I forgot, sports is more important than academics on this board.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Thats a huge generalization you are toting there.. Do you actually believe that 800+ users feel that way? If things seem slanted in favor of sports here, keep in mind that this *IS* a sports message board and not an ACADEMIC message board. I doubt people would tune in to read ramblings about Calc II..

Originally posted by BeeStorm:
[QBDo you actually believe that 800+ users feel that way? If things seem slanted in favor of sports here, keep in mind that this *IS* a sports message board and not an ACADEMIC message board. I doubt people would tune in to read ramblings about Calc II..[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I wasn't saying that this should be a board on academics. You are right, it was a generalization, but there is a very vocal group here who believes we should dumb down our academics (oops, I mean "diversify" our curriculum to appeal to the whole student body ;-)) so we can compete. For some reason, a lot of folks want to replace everybody and their brother instead of asking the athletes to take some responsibility for their actions. My point was that some people want academics to take a step behind football and I think some of our players have done enough of that.

That figures. Puppies welcomed back under the porch. Ain't they cute?

Originally posted by jimbobGT:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by BeeStorm:
[QBDo you actually believe that 800+ users feel that way? If things seem slanted in favor of sports here, keep in mind that this *IS* a sports message board and not an ACADEMIC message board. I doubt people would tune in to read ramblings about Calc II..
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I wasn't saying that this should be a board on academics. You are right, it was a generalization, but there is a very vocal group here who believes we should dumb down our academics (oops, I mean "diversify" our curriculum to appeal to the whole student body ;-)) so we can compete. For some reason, a lot of folks want to replace everybody and their brother instead of asking the athletes to take some responsibility for their actions. My point was that some people want academics to take a step behind football and I think some of our players have done enough of that.[/QB]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I absolutely agree with BeeStorm in that this board is a *gt sports* board first and foremost. His assertions are correct. I don't agree with everyone here, but I am glad that this board is here. It is about sports. It has very little to do with academics.

However, you are also correct jimbob in that there is a population that wants to dumb down GT. It ain't going to happen though. They can beeach all they want. Yes, I am academic snob and I am also a huge GTAA supporter. I am one of those few that believe we can do both. I have seen it happen.

Make no mistake, I would rather see us go to DIII sports before we sacrafice the mission of the Institute. This is just a forum where you will hear many more opinions from people that simply don't understand why we need to protect academic integrity. I don't fault these people, they simply don't understand.

Yes Beeserk, it can be done... You want to have a big time football program & still have off the chart academics? Only 1 way to do it: Pony up the BIG bucks for a PROVEN coach who doesn't need 3-5 years to figure it all out... Pay him $2 or $3 mil a year... sit back & enjoy... Prob for you guys is that you want champagne on a beer budget... 900K in the realm of coaches nowadays is chump change... You are getting what you pay for...

Originally posted by BeeBad:
Yes Beeserk, it can be done... You want to have a big time football program & still have off the chart academics? Only 1 way to do it: Pony up the BIG bucks for a PROVEN coach who doesn't need 3-5 years to figure it all out...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I think this is fair, but which coaches do you think can handle big time athletics AND academics? Tyrone Willingham probably could, but he isn't leaving ND. Didn't the BC coach ask for the academic requirements to be dropped if he took the job?

Having world class facilities helps too. We have come a long way there. I know in the 70's the stadium and other facilities were almost embarrassing. In my opinion, it looks better down there now than it ever has.

BeeBad, your philosophy on paying the big bucks for the coach is part of the problem.

The more the coach is paid in contrast to the president of the school, the AD, the professors, etc, the more the academic and sports facets of the school are going to be in opposition to each other.

Pay big bucks for the football coach, then comes big bucks for the basketball coach, then baseball, track, tennis, womens coaches, etc.

Then the football players demand payments for playing and become semipro in college and place an even bigger burden on the funding of all sports. Next come payments for the basketball athletes, baseball, women athlets, etc.

Soon, only the richest and most powerful of the schools in the nation, mostly the State Universities, will be able to stay afloat.

Schools like Tech and many others will be relegated to lower divisions of the sports where they do not pay the athletes to play nor high salaries for the coaches.

So, the big salaries for the coach is a self-destructive ploy for the colleges to take. It has already had an effect on some schools dropping their athletic programs. It will become more widespread.

wink.gif

Father Wasp you got it right on the money and as for you snob jimbo you haven't a CLUE. I will NEVER EVER READ ANOTHER ONE OF YOUR SNOBISH, ALL FOR ACADEMIC AT EXPENSE OF SPORTS, AND YOUR BLINDNESS AT THOSE WHO WANT TO COMPETE IN DIV. 1 SPORTS!!!

Originally posted by techrod:
Father Wasp you got it right on the money and as for you snob jimbo you haven't a CLUE. I will NEVER EVER READ ANOTHER ONE OF YOUR SNOBISH, ALL FOR ACADEMIC AT EXPENSE OF SPORTS, AND YOUR BLINDNESS AT THOSE WHO WANT TO COMPETE IN DIV. 1 SPORTS!!!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">alright, if I'm not so qualified, what makes you so qualified to know any better than me?

MsTA, great comments on recruiting and selling the whole GT experience. The only problem I have with it is that O'Leary was able to sell the total package, but very few of his recruits actually achieved it. IMO we have to figure out how to do both. Ross did a pretty good job of it and to me he's the one we should be trying to emulate, not O'Leary. I admire George for what he did, and supported him as our coach, but he did't complete the mission. I don't think Tech should accept mediocrity in either academics or athletics.

Back