For what its worth....

QUOTE FROM MsTechAnalysis

O'Leary adminstration of his program got the kids here, HE THEN HIRED THE COACHES to make them better players and win! Believe me, Gailey knew this, that's why he made those comments at the Recruiting get together in 2002 I went to.

He knew enough then to know that his predecessor worked his butt off to find the kids and keep on top of the situation. He EVEN DEFENDED HIM IN THE GRADUATION RATE SCENARIO and said he 'GOT A BUM WRAP.' Chan brought O'Leary up not anyone there - he knows what O'leary did and he knew then what he would have to do - he didn't do it!!! Coaches stick together and I will give him credit - he praised our previous coach for this and his winning success at GT! No classes in 4 years time, not even in the Bobby Dodd era won more games then in O'Leary's tenure with the 2001 class - that was brought up by Chan! Obviously, Chan WANTED TO COMPARE WHAT HE WANTED TO DO HERE FROM WHAT WAS ALREADY DONE! Looks like he knew O'Leary's worth.

And now when I think back on that discussion he presented - what does that say about him doing what he needed to do - KNOWING THAT BACK THEN!! Somebody filled him in a lot. Someone gave him the scoop on what it was going to take and what the guy before him accomplished and how he went about doing it - Chan knew a lot more then you think!

ANSWER TO MsTechAnalysis

You know, I could care less if you were there when Gailey made the nice speech about O'Leary. You are very gullible if you think any other incoming coach would have done less. That is called in the industry as "SOP" or "SP".

You said the coaches stick together. The truth of the matter is that a coach would be foolish to do otherwise and have the entire nation of coaches down on him if he tried to roast the previous coach.

Now, I am not sure where you are getting your figures or what was really said about comparing GOL's records with Bobby Dodd, but the statement in your post is untrue.

The most games ever won by GOL was the four year period that Friegden was the offensive coordinator. That record was 33-15 from 1997-2001.

Dodd's four year record from 1951-1954 was 40-5-1. If you extend the record two more years to 1951-1956, Dodd's record was 59-7-1. Another factor is the fact fewer games were played each year in Dodd's days.

If you extend GOL's record to six years by adding two consecutive years from 1995-2001, the record was 44-25. If you remove the four years the Fridge was not here, GOL's record without the Fridge was 18-20, with no bowl games, and an 0-4 record against UGA.

I heard Gailey speak recently and he stated, "there are three coaches I have patterned my style after, they are Bobby Dodd, Bear Bryant, and Tom Landry". He said nothing about O'Leary.

As I have said many times, each coach will listen to the departing coach, coaches, and anyone else offering information, but it does not mean the coach thinks any of the information is useful or that he is obliged to use it. Every coach has his own style and "must" work within the confines of his own style.

As I have stated so many times, you did not like him from the start and you are part of a lynch mob not willing to give him a chance. You really need to get a job in the old Western Movies where lynching was considered admirable by some.

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

ORIGINALLY POSTED BY MsTechAnalysis:

One more thing about our coach - at 900K per year - we seem to be saying a lot about what he didn't know or what someone didn't tell him, or that somebody took something away from his responsibility - Chan DOESN'T SEEM TO HAVE ANY RESPONSIBILITY IN ALL THIS - GIVE ME A BREAK!! You take over an important job like this or any for that matter and you better not have your head in the sand - you won't last!

If we have that kind of coach - it seems to me his passiveness has him in the wrong place!

ANSWER TO MsTechAnalysis

I retired from a very prominent company after a long extended career and did very well, thank you. So, I believe I did not have my head in the sand, I lasted, and was well respected. Another of your innuendos and false information.

You do not know how much or how little he was told. You have no idea if he is fulfilling his responsibility. Only his bosses know this for sure. Since you are not his boss, rumors have little bearing on the matter.

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

The only saddle Chan had coming here was his own! If you read all his comments when he took this job - he was ready to take over a program that was a Top 25. He didn't want to go to a program rebuilding and fix anyone's mess! Obviously, he saw all the things he liked here in that area. AFTER ONLY ONE YEAR - ONE YEAR, WE ARE HAVING DISCUSSIONS HERE ABOUT TOTAL BACKWARDS THRASHING!!!

The saddle Mustard was him not wanting to give every effort possible before he coached A LICK!!
I have a problem with anyone taking a job and making this kinds of remarks - your damn lazy!! You want to delegate and not have hands-on, I see this all the time - I hire people all the time. Those comments made me sick! This IS A JOB FIRST - you accepted $900k a year to do it - you failed big time in your first year. Forget the x's and o's - I'm looking at all the other stuff!!

As a Tech fan - I want someone busting their tail from day one! I want someone who seeks out and finds out at every turn - what do I do, what can I do, how do I lead, how do I coach, who are the people that I need to talk with at every level of MY PROGRAM TO MAKE SURE I KNOW WHAT THE HECK I'M DOING, connect with my players, teach my players, be a father to my players, bring the fans together, talk to the fans.

He has a lot to prove to me and lots others out here - the only time he's my coach is if he does what is right for this school and in this job, so far he gets an F!

PASSIVENESS IN YOUR JOB WILL GET YOU ABSOLUTELY NOWHERE!! One year of his passiveness has hurt this program dramatically - I don't care if you don't believe - it happened! You attended this school - YOUR SCHOOL IS FIRST AND FOREMOST. I critizize him for what HE DIDN'T DO![/QB][/QUOTE]

ANSWER TO MsTechAnalysis

Your ego is so crushed by O'Leary quitting, Mac and BOB being inept, that you have to keep bringing up your job to try to feel important.

There are many people on this board who own their own companies, and maybe many that are CEOs of companies. So, my comment to your frequent referennce regarding your job is, "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn".

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

QUOTE BY MsTechAnalysis

You talked about saying nice things about the outgoing coach - let me give you this straight - on that night and on that day - NO ONE IN THAT AUDIENCE WAS READY TO HERE GOOD THINGS ABOUT GEORGE! I was there, you weren't. People in the audience before it started were talking negatively about George leaving us behind. About George's resume, about the whole NOTRE DAME THING. Everybody there was mad at George for leaving, for lying for everything.

Chan sure went against the grain in front of his first BIG AUDIENCE! If he wanted to ingratiate himself to the Tech faithful, that night was not the night to bring up George! No, on the contrary, his position then was one of respect and I'm going to tell the masses what I want to do based on that Top 25 program he came to come to and what George did so he could do that.

Everyone was surprised in that audience when he chose to talk about Coach O'Leary on his own! I was pleasantly surprised and give him credit because he gave credit where credit was due! I talked to one coach that night and a few others inside - he defintely knew by their comments the impact of George and he knew what it took to coach here.

ANSWER TO MsTechAnalysis

Again, you are mighty naive to think no other coach would have said the same things.

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

QUOTE BY MsTechAnalysis

No I'm not whining, I'm DOWN RIGHT MAD AS HELL!!
My hero is George thank you very much for mentioning it - My ego is my own, you SEEM TO HAVE A DAMN BIG ONE YOURSELF FOR SOMEONE - who contradicts my facts and who wasn't there! Guess you need to meet more folks.

Experience on Gailey's part???????? Let's talk successes: These FACTS MY MAN, were in a Sports Illustrated article last fall:

O'Leary was a very successful high school coach. And has a winning percentage of 80%.

O'Leary was one of the top defensive coordinators in the nation at Syracuse under Coach McPherson. He was named by his peers on two occasions during that tenure as the BEST DIV. 1 DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR IN THE NATION. And, by the way - Syracuse defenses when he was there ranked in the Top 10!

He comes here with Bobby Ross - our defenses ABSOLOUTELY ROCKED, WITH O'Leary. We won with him at the Coordinators position - Ross knew with him and Friedgen where his toast was buttered!

He goes to San Diego with Ross - Friedgen on offense, O'leary on defense - they win AGAIN, GO TO THE SUPER BOWL!

He is hired to come back here and REJUVENATE I VERY DOWN TRODDEN PROGRAM, AFTER THE MESS LEWIS LEFT; oh by the way, HE TAKES ON THE CHALLENGE and never comments on going to a "top 25 program" or never says, he doesn't want to fix anyone's mess!

He proceeds to hire and change Tech's future - from all aspects. Any head coach is only as good as the assistants he hires - Looks like he knew how to hire too! He gave us our respect back, he built the program so WE COULD ENHANCE THE STADIUM, so that we could enhance our schedule, so that we could compete. His winning ways put us on TV - All the time!

So now you're going to talk about Chan?????? Chan was a Div 11 coach at Troy state and an NFL assistant for years - his one chance for HC, he got FIRED!!!!!!!!!!!! As an HR Manager - FIRED IS NOT GOOD!

Looks like his 2nd chance at HC is not going to well either - I wonder why?????[/QB][/QUOTE]

MY ANSWER TO MsTechAnalysis

I do not contradict your facts. You have not presented any for me to contradict. I have stated that your innuendos and guesses without facts is of no more value than and other guesses or opinion on the board.

Do I have an ego. Yes, that should be obvious, but at least, I try to provide facts and figures to back up my statements. At least, my ego has not been crushed because my hero quit on me.

At least, my ego is based on a rock that cannot be crushed.

Oh, I have met many personalities over the years. In fact, I am well acquainted with the most important personality you could possibly ever want to know.

I know absolutely nothing about O'Leary and his tenure at Syracuse. If you have the proof, then fine. There is one thing that has always been lacking with GOL's defenses, when he was at Tech, both as a DC and as a head coach.

He always ranked rather highly in defense against the run, but was normally in last place in the nation against passing. Do you know for sure his defenses were in the top ten overall or top ten against the rush? His complete tenure at Tech from DC to head coach was pathetic on pass defense, especially third-and-long.

I know nothing about O'Leary's high school record. If you say he won 80% of his games, fine.

You are wrong about the defense rocking when GOL was the DC under Ross. The pass defense was very poor and the Fridge had to pull most of the games out of the fire with his offense. I posted the records over a year back about the opponents scoring against Tech with O'Leary as DC.

I will research this again and prove to you that it was the offense that won the ball games and not GOL's defense. Ross definitely knew his toast was butter by Friedgen.

The reason San Diego went to the super bowl again was because of Friegden as OC and Bill Arnsparger as DC. I believe GOL was a defensive line coach. You are certainly spreading the statistics thin at San Diego.

Yes, GOL was definitely the main cog in the expansion of the stadium.

When he came back to Tech, the program was limping with a 11-14 record in 2 1/3 years with three losses to UGA and no bowl games. Yes, he did hire Friegden, and for the next four years went 33-15 with the Fridge overcoming the pass deficiencies of GOL's defenses.

In Friegden's last year, Tech was 9-2, ranked highly and headed to the Peach Bowl to play LSU. Tech was predicted as a strong favorite in the bowl.

Friegden took the Maryland job and did not coach in the bowl game, and O'Leary lost the game to LSU without the Fridge. Our defense could not stop LSU, and the Fridge was not there to outscore LSU.

In O'Leary's last year without the Fridge, Tech had some of the best talent in the land and was predicted to finish in the top ten in the nation. Alas, the wheels came off the wagon on O'Leary, his top ten team finished 7-5, he saw the handwriting on the wall, and jumped at the chance when Notre Dame came calling.

I will submit that Friegden's offense put Tech on the TV often. All viewers love a lot of offense. I will also submit that the excellent receivers and quarterbacks coming to Tech were the direct result of Friegden's offense rather than O'Leary.

I will also submit that Tech has always been a good draw for TV since Tech became so popular on TV during the Dodd days. So, when the Fridge's offense pushed Tech to winning and popularity, the TV networks kept calling.

So, other than his high school days and his tenure at Syracuse, his success at Tech seemed to be more a factor of Friegden and Ross. San Diego's success seems to be more a factor of Friegden, Ross, and Arnsparger.

Now to Chan Gailey. I will let his bio speak for itself. My only comment is his qualifications are far superior to the qualifications of O'Leary when he was given his chance at Tech.

Chan Gailey, a 29-year football coaching veteran, including 13 seasons in the college ranks and 14 years in the National Football League, was named the 11th head coach in Georgia Tech football history on Dec. 29, 2001.

In his first season at the helm of the Tech program, Gailey steered the Rambling Wreck through adversity, including season-ending injuries to the team's top offensive and defensive players, to a school record-tying sixth consecutive bowl berth in the 2002 Silicon Valley Football Classic. His first Yellow Jacket edition posted a sixth straight year of seven or more wins, highlighted by an improbable victory at 8th-ranked NC State.

Gailey is just the second head coach in Georgia Tech history to lead the Jackets to a bowl game in his first season, joining Bill Fulcher, who guided his 1972 Tech team to the Liberty Bowl.

Gailey, 51, has had success at every stop in his coaching career, including three seasons as a college head coach at Troy State and Samford University in Alabama, as well as two years as the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys and two at the helm of the Birmingham Fire of the World League of American Football. He has made a name for himself as an innovative offensive mind during NFL stops in Pittsburgh, Dallas and Miami, among others.

"Chan Gailey is the right fit for Georgia Tech at this time," said Tech Director of Athletics Dave Braine upon Gailey's hiring. "Besides all the great qualities he possesses as a football coach, he's an even better human being."

Gailey came to Tech after two seasons (2000-01) as offensive coordinator for the Miami Dolphins under head coach Dave Wannstedt.

"How many times does a guy like myself get a chance to come to an institute like this?" said Gailey on the day he was introduced. "It's something that you can believe in, and when you talk to somebody you know what you're selling and you know what you're talking about. What's up here with the alumni and the people that are involved, every day I get to go to work with people that exude character and class. That's an enjoyable situation.

"I did ask, 'Do we have the ability to win a national championship?' because I want to win and that's part of the process. I want to win a championship and that's why you play, that's why you line up and that's why you go out and work and lift weights in the off season, to have a chance to be the best of the best and that's one of the goals. I get a chance to come back to my home state and I get an opportunity to work in a great city and to be involved with an unbelievable institute."

Gailey joined the Dolphins after spending the previous two years (1998-99) as the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. Under Gailey, the Cowboys compiled a composite regular season record of 18-14 in his two seasons, qualified for the playoffs both years, and captured the NFC Eastern Division title in 1998. In addition, the Cowboys finished in the top five in the NFL in both fewest turnovers and fewest interceptions in each of Gailey's two seasons as head coach, including a number one ranking in both categories in 1998.

In Gailey's first season with the Dolphins, he helped guide a running game which amassed 1,894 yards, the most by a Dolphins team since 1984. Lamar Smith finished tenth in the AFC with 1,139 yards rushing, the second-highest single-season total by a Dolphin, marking just the seventh time (fifth player) that a Dolphin has reached the 1,000-yard rushing plateau.

In seven of the eight seasons seasons that Gailey was either a coordinator or head coach in the NFL, he had a player attain the 1,000-yard rushing mark, including Jerome Bettis of the Steelers and Emmitt Smith of the Cowboys.

Before joining the Cowboys in 1998, Gailey spent the previous four seasons (1994-97) with the Pittsburgh Steelers, including each of the last two as offensive coordinator. His first two years there were spent tutoring the club's wide receivers. In Gailey's four seasons with the Steelers, the team won the AFC Central Division crown each time, appeared in the AFC Championship Game on three occasions and made one trip to the Super Bowl. Pittsburgh finished second in the NFL in rushing offense in 1996, averaging 143.7 yards per game. In Gailey's final season with the Steelers, he presided over the league's top-ranked rushing team, one that amassed an average of 154.9 yards per contest.

The NFL team with which Gailey coached has reached postseason play each of the last eight years in the league, and 11 of his 14 seasons overall.

Gailey got his start in the NFL coaching ranks as an assistant with the Denver Broncos in 1985. He served as a defensive assistant and special teams coach in his first season there before moving to the offensive side in 1986. He served two years (1986-87) as the Broncos' special teams and tight ends coach prior to taking over the task as quarterbacks coach in 1988. He was promoted to offensive coordinator/receivers coach in 1989, and served two years in that position.

During Gailey's six-year stay in Denver, the team finished first or second in the AFC West on five occasions and made three Super Bowl appearances. Following his tenure in Denver, Gailey was named head coach with the Birmingham Fire of the World League in 1991, and in his two seasons there, the Fire qualified for the playoffs both times. A stop as head coach at Samford University in 1993 preceded his stint with the Steelers.

Gailey began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at the University of Florida in 1974, where he spent the next two years. From there, he moved on to his first full-time position, as secondary coach at Troy (Ala.) State, where he served from 1976-78. That was followed by a four-year stint (1979-82) at the Air Force Academy, the final two as defensive coordinator. He returned to Troy State in 1983 and spent the next two seasons there as the school's head coach. He led the team to a Division II national championship in 1984.

In three years as a college head coach, Gailey has a record of 24-11, including a 19-5 mark in two years at Troy State and a 5-6 slate at Samford.

Born January 5, 1952 in Gainesville, Ga., Gailey was an all-state quarterback at Americus High School, and went on to letter three years (1971-73) as a quarterback at the University of Florida. He graduated from Florida in 1974 with a degree in physical education. Gailey and his wife, Laurie, have two sons, Tate and Andrew.

Gailey At-A-Glance

Full name: Thomas Chandler Gailey, Jr.
Born: January 5, 1952 in Gainesville, Ga.
Family: wife Laurie; sons Tate and Andrew
Education: Bachelor's degree in physical education, Florida, 1974; graduated from Americus (Ga.) High School, 1970
College playing experience: Florida, quarterback from 1971-73 (no pro playing experience)

College coaching experience (13 seasons):
Florida - graduate assistant, 1974-75
Troy State - defensive backs coach, 1976-78
Air Force - defensive assistant, 1979-80, defensive coordinator, 1981-82
Troy State - head coach, 1983-84
Samford - head coach, 1993
Georgia Tech - head coach, 2002-present
Record as a college head coach: 31-17 (7-6 at Georgia Tech, 19-5 at Troy State, 5-6 at Samford)

NFL coaching experience (14 seasons):
Denver Broncos - defensive assistant and special teams coach, 1985; special teams and tight ends, 1986-87; quarterbacks coach, 1988; offensive coordinator/receivers coach, 1989-90
Birmingham Fire (WLAF) - head coach, 1991-92
Pittsburgh Steelers - wide receivers coach, 1994-95; offensive coordinator, 1996-97
Dallas Cowboys - head coach, 1998-99
Miami Dolphins - offensive coordinator, 2000-01
Record as an NFL head coach: 18-14

What They Say About Chan Gailey

Dan Reeves, Head Coach, Atlanta Falcons

"It's a great choice for Tech in my opinion because Chan has all the qualities you look for in a head coach. He's been successful everywhere he's been, and he's learned under some great coaches. He's done it all. He won a national championship at Troy State and was the head coach of the Cowboys. I think he'll be great for recruiting the state of Georgia. I'm happy for him because I know how much he loves this state."

Dave Wannstedt, Head Coach, Miami Dolphins

"I want to congratulate Chan on being named Head Coach at Georgia Tech. I'm sure he will do a great job in continuing the long tradition of success the school's football program has enjoyed. I also know he is an outstanding coach who has been a winner on both the college and pro levels. I'm confident he will be a positive influence on the student-athletes he will coach there, and the school could not have picked a finer person for the head coaching position."

"I think Chan has been a great addition to our staff. He has done a fantastic job here. Really, we haven't spent a lot of high draft picks on high-profile players on the offensive side of the ball. He has had to mesh a group together really from scratch."

Bill Cowher, Head Coach, Pittsburgh Steelers

"Chan is an excellent football coach, and I could not be more happy for Chan and his family. I know Chan was looking forward to another opportunity to be a head coach, and getting that opportunity near his hometown should be extra special.

"His commitment, integrity and passion for the game will be evident in everything he does. Chan will be a positive influence on everyone he coaches.

"I wish him all the best."

Jay Fiedler, Quarterback, Miami Dolphins

"I think Chan is one of the best around, and I've worked with a lot of them in different places. He's a great communicator and is great at simplifying things to let guys go out and play football.''

Emmitt Smith, NFL's all-time leading rusher

"Chan Gailey is a very good football coach. He is also an outstanding person.

"From a football perspective, he taught me some things about the running game that I did not know, and he helped my career. He knows how to move the chains and control the tempo of a football game. He knows how to score points, and he knows how to win.

"Away from the field, he is a great person - about as solid a man as you are going to meet. He will have success at Georgia Tech, and I will be pulling for him."

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Hmmmm...Me thinks me got MsTechA und her CG lynch mob figured out.

1.) GO'L is a straight damn yankee from NY.

2.) MsTechA is a straight damn yankee from the NE area(whose pushing for BC & Syracuse to be added to the ACC).

3.) Chan Gailey is a Southern boy.

drinking.gif

MsTA lays her cards on the table in no uncertain terms... she has a Royal Flush...

I suggest you FOCers take off your GT hats, scratch your balding heads, pour yourselves a stiff one..
drinking.gif
and allow the power of her words to sink in for a while.. Don't even bother posting a rebuttal, just sit back & reflect...

Originally posted by FHstinger:

2.) MsTechA is a straight damn yankee from the NE area(whose pushing for BC & Syracuse to be added to the ACC).

drinking.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Now this is a real intelligent statement!! I am disappointed that you or anyone else on here would bring up this junk about where you're from -we live in the 21st Century. Tech has many Northern students - do want them to leave to and throw them out? You're darn right I wanted them - their academic standards are much higher then Virginia Tech and West Virginia!

I guess you know (or maybe you don't know) that's what the ACC was looking for and by the way GT is all about. And if you're saying Tech should be biased in their hiring practices because of where someone eminates from - that's against the law in hiring practices. Coach Cremins was a Northerner, Coach Hewiit is one - I guess we now know what you think!
rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
QUOTE BY MsTechAnalysis

No I'm not whining, I'm DOWN RIGHT MAD AS HELL!!
My hero is George thank you very much for mentioning it - My ego is my own, you SEEM TO HAVE A DAMN BIG ONE YOURSELF FOR SOMEONE - who contradicts my facts and who wasn't there! Guess you need to meet more folks.

Experience on Gailey's part???????? Let's talk successes: These FACTS MY MAN, were in a Sports Illustrated article last fall:

O'Leary was a very successful high school coach. And has a winning percentage of 80%.

O'Leary was one of the top defensive coordinators in the nation at Syracuse under Coach McPherson. He was named by his peers on two occasions during that tenure as the BEST DIV. 1 DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR IN THE NATION. And, by the way - Syracuse defenses when he was there ranked in the Top 10!

He comes here with Bobby Ross - our defenses ABSOLOUTELY ROCKED, WITH O'Leary. We won with him at the Coordinators position - Ross knew with him and Friedgen where his toast was buttered!

He goes to San Diego with Ross - Friedgen on offense, O'leary on defense - they win AGAIN, GO TO THE SUPER BOWL!

He is hired to come back here and REJUVENATE I VERY DOWN TRODDEN PROGRAM, AFTER THE MESS LEWIS LEFT; oh by the way, HE TAKES ON THE CHALLENGE and never comments on going to a "top 25 program" or never says, he doesn't want to fix anyone's mess!

He proceeds to hire and change Tech's future - from all aspects. Any head coach is only as good as the assistants he hires - Looks like he knew how to hire too! He gave us our respect back, he built the program so WE COULD ENHANCE THE STADIUM, so that we could enhance our schedule, so that we could compete. His winning ways put us on TV - All the time!

So now you're going to talk about Chan?????? Chan was a Div 11 coach at Troy state and an NFL assistant for years - his one chance for HC, he got FIRED!!!!!!!!!!!! As an HR Manager - FIRED IS NOT GOOD!

Looks like his 2nd chance at HC is not going to well either - I wonder why?????
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">MY ANSWER TO MsTechAnalysis

I do not contradict your facts. You have not presented any for me to contradict. I have stated that your innuendos and guesses without facts is of no more value than and other guesses or opinion on the board.

Do I have an ego. Yes, that should be obvious, but at least, I try to provide facts and figures to back up my statements. At least, my ego has not been crushed because my hero quit on me.

At least, my ego is based on a rock that cannot be crushed.

Oh, I have met many personalities over the years. In fact, I am well acquainted with the most important personality you could possibly ever want to know.

I know absolutely nothing about O'Leary and his tenure at Syracuse. If you have the proof, then fine. There is one thing that has always been lacking with GOL's defenses, when he was at Tech, both as a DC and as a head coach.

He always ranked rather highly in defense against the run, but was normally in last place in the nation against passing. Do you know for sure his defenses were in the top ten overall or top ten against the rush? His complete tenure at Tech from DC to head coach was pathetic on pass defense, especially third-and-long.

I know nothing about O'Leary's high school record. If you say he won 80% of his games, fine.

You are wrong about the defense rocking when GOL was the DC under Ross. The pass defense was very poor and the Fridge had to pull most of the games out of the fire with his offense. I posted the records over a year back about the opponents scoring against Tech with O'Leary as DC.

I will research this again and prove to you that it was the offense that won the ball games and not GOL's defense. Ross definitely knew his toast was butter by Friedgen.

The reason San Diego went to the super bowl again was because of Friegden as OC and Bill Arnsparger as DC. I believe GOL was a defensive line coach. You are certainly spreading the statistics thin at San Diego.

Yes, GOL was definitely the main cog in the expansion of the stadium.

When he came back to Tech, the program was limping with a 11-14 record in 2 1/3 years with three losses to UGA and no bowl games. Yes, he did hire Friegden, and for the next four years went 33-15 with the Fridge overcoming the pass deficiencies of GOL's defenses.

In Friegden's last year, Tech was 9-2, ranked highly and headed to the Peach Bowl to play LSU. Tech was predicted as a strong favorite in the bowl.

Friegden took the Maryland job and did not coach in the bowl game, and O'Leary lost the game to LSU without the Fridge. Our defense could not stop LSU, and the Fridge was not there to outscore LSU.

In O'Leary's last year without the Fridge, Tech had some of the best talent in the land and was predicted to finish in the top ten in the nation. Alas, the wheels came off the wagon on O'Leary, his top ten team finished 7-5, he saw the handwriting on the wall, and jumped at the chance when Notre Dame came calling.

I will submit that Friegden's offense put Tech on the TV often. All viewers love a lot of offense. I will also submit that the excellent receivers and quarterbacks coming to Tech were the direct result of Friegden's offense rather than O'Leary.

I will also submit that Tech has always been a good draw for TV since Tech became so popular on TV during the Dodd days. So, when the Fridge's offense pushed Tech to winning and popularity, the TV networks kept calling.

So, other than his high school days and his tenure at Syracuse, his success at Tech seemed to be more a factor of Friegden and Ross. San Diego's success seems to be more a factor of Friegden, Ross, and Arnsparger.

Now to Chan Gailey. I will let his bio speak for itself. My only comment is his qualifications are far superior to the qualifications of O'Leary when he was given his chance at Tech.

Chan Gailey, a 29-year football coaching veteran, including 13 seasons in the college ranks and 14 years in the National Football League, was named the 11th head coach in Georgia Tech football history on Dec. 29, 2001.

In his first season at the helm of the Tech program, Gailey steered the Rambling Wreck through adversity, including season-ending injuries to the team's top offensive and defensive players, to a school record-tying sixth consecutive bowl berth in the 2002 Silicon Valley Football Classic. His first Yellow Jacket edition posted a sixth straight year of seven or more wins, highlighted by an improbable victory at 8th-ranked NC State.

Gailey is just the second head coach in Georgia Tech history to lead the Jackets to a bowl game in his first season, joining Bill Fulcher, who guided his 1972 Tech team to the Liberty Bowl.

Gailey, 51, has had success at every stop in his coaching career, including three seasons as a college head coach at Troy State and Samford University in Alabama, as well as two years as the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys and two at the helm of the Birmingham Fire of the World League of American Football. He has made a name for himself as an innovative offensive mind during NFL stops in Pittsburgh, Dallas and Miami, among others.

"Chan Gailey is the right fit for Georgia Tech at this time," said Tech Director of Athletics Dave Braine upon Gailey's hiring. "Besides all the great qualities he possesses as a football coach, he's an even better human being."

Gailey came to Tech after two seasons (2000-01) as offensive coordinator for the Miami Dolphins under head coach Dave Wannstedt.

"How many times does a guy like myself get a chance to come to an institute like this?" said Gailey on the day he was introduced. "It's something that you can believe in, and when you talk to somebody you know what you're selling and you know what you're talking about. What's up here with the alumni and the people that are involved, every day I get to go to work with people that exude character and class. That's an enjoyable situation.

"I did ask, 'Do we have the ability to win a national championship?' because I want to win and that's part of the process. I want to win a championship and that's why you play, that's why you line up and that's why you go out and work and lift weights in the off season, to have a chance to be the best of the best and that's one of the goals. I get a chance to come back to my home state and I get an opportunity to work in a great city and to be involved with an unbelievable institute."

Gailey joined the Dolphins after spending the previous two years (1998-99) as the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. Under Gailey, the Cowboys compiled a composite regular season record of 18-14 in his two seasons, qualified for the playoffs both years, and captured the NFC Eastern Division title in 1998. In addition, the Cowboys finished in the top five in the NFL in both fewest turnovers and fewest interceptions in each of Gailey's two seasons as head coach, including a number one ranking in both categories in 1998.

In Gailey's first season with the Dolphins, he helped guide a running game which amassed 1,894 yards, the most by a Dolphins team since 1984. Lamar Smith finished tenth in the AFC with 1,139 yards rushing, the second-highest single-season total by a Dolphin, marking just the seventh time (fifth player) that a Dolphin has reached the 1,000-yard rushing plateau.

In seven of the eight seasons seasons that Gailey was either a coordinator or head coach in the NFL, he had a player attain the 1,000-yard rushing mark, including Jerome Bettis of the Steelers and Emmitt Smith of the Cowboys.

Before joining the Cowboys in 1998, Gailey spent the previous four seasons (1994-97) with the Pittsburgh Steelers, including each of the last two as offensive coordinator. His first two years there were spent tutoring the club's wide receivers. In Gailey's four seasons with the Steelers, the team won the AFC Central Division crown each time, appeared in the AFC Championship Game on three occasions and made one trip to the Super Bowl. Pittsburgh finished second in the NFL in rushing offense in 1996, averaging 143.7 yards per game. In Gailey's final season with the Steelers, he presided over the league's top-ranked rushing team, one that amassed an average of 154.9 yards per contest.

The NFL team with which Gailey coached has reached postseason play each of the last eight years in the league, and 11 of his 14 seasons overall.

Gailey got his start in the NFL coaching ranks as an assistant with the Denver Broncos in 1985. He served as a defensive assistant and special teams coach in his first season there before moving to the offensive side in 1986. He served two years (1986-87) as the Broncos' special teams and tight ends coach prior to taking over the task as quarterbacks coach in 1988. He was promoted to offensive coordinator/receivers coach in 1989, and served two years in that position.

During Gailey's six-year stay in Denver, the team finished first or second in the AFC West on five occasions and made three Super Bowl appearances. Following his tenure in Denver, Gailey was named head coach with the Birmingham Fire of the World League in 1991, and in his two seasons there, the Fire qualified for the playoffs both times. A stop as head coach at Samford University in 1993 preceded his stint with the Steelers.

Gailey began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at the University of Florida in 1974, where he spent the next two years. From there, he moved on to his first full-time position, as secondary coach at Troy (Ala.) State, where he served from 1976-78. That was followed by a four-year stint (1979-82) at the Air Force Academy, the final two as defensive coordinator. He returned to Troy State in 1983 and spent the next two seasons there as the school's head coach. He led the team to a Division II national championship in 1984.

In three years as a college head coach, Gailey has a record of 24-11, including a 19-5 mark in two years at Troy State and a 5-6 slate at Samford.

Born January 5, 1952 in Gainesville, Ga., Gailey was an all-state quarterback at Americus High School, and went on to letter three years (1971-73) as a quarterback at the University of Florida. He graduated from Florida in 1974 with a degree in physical education. Gailey and his wife, Laurie, have two sons, Tate and Andrew.

Gailey At-A-Glance

Full name: Thomas Chandler Gailey, Jr.
Born: January 5, 1952 in Gainesville, Ga.
Family: wife Laurie; sons Tate and Andrew
Education: Bachelor's degree in physical education, Florida, 1974; graduated from Americus (Ga.) High School, 1970
College playing experience: Florida, quarterback from 1971-73 (no pro playing experience)

College coaching experience (13 seasons):
Florida - graduate assistant, 1974-75
Troy State - defensive backs coach, 1976-78
Air Force - defensive assistant, 1979-80, defensive coordinator, 1981-82
Troy State - head coach, 1983-84
Samford - head coach, 1993
Georgia Tech - head coach, 2002-present
Record as a college head coach: 31-17 (7-6 at Georgia Tech, 19-5 at Troy State, 5-6 at Samford)

NFL coaching experience (14 seasons):
Denver Broncos - defensive assistant and special teams coach, 1985; special teams and tight ends, 1986-87; quarterbacks coach, 1988; offensive coordinator/receivers coach, 1989-90
Birmingham Fire (WLAF) - head coach, 1991-92
Pittsburgh Steelers - wide receivers coach, 1994-95; offensive coordinator, 1996-97
Dallas Cowboys - head coach, 1998-99
Miami Dolphins - offensive coordinator, 2000-01
Record as an NFL head coach: 18-14

What They Say About Chan Gailey

Dan Reeves, Head Coach, Atlanta Falcons

"It's a great choice for Tech in my opinion because Chan has all the qualities you look for in a head coach. He's been successful everywhere he's been, and he's learned under some great coaches. He's done it all. He won a national championship at Troy State and was the head coach of the Cowboys. I think he'll be great for recruiting the state of Georgia. I'm happy for him because I know how much he loves this state."

Dave Wannstedt, Head Coach, Miami Dolphins

"I want to congratulate Chan on being named Head Coach at Georgia Tech. I'm sure he will do a great job in continuing the long tradition of success the school's football program has enjoyed. I also know he is an outstanding coach who has been a winner on both the college and pro levels. I'm confident he will be a positive influence on the student-athletes he will coach there, and the school could not have picked a finer person for the head coaching position."

"I think Chan has been a great addition to our staff. He has done a fantastic job here. Really, we haven't spent a lot of high draft picks on high-profile players on the offensive side of the ball. He has had to mesh a group together really from scratch."

Bill Cowher, Head Coach, Pittsburgh Steelers

"Chan is an excellent football coach, and I could not be more happy for Chan and his family. I know Chan was looking forward to another opportunity to be a head coach, and getting that opportunity near his hometown should be extra special.

"His commitment, integrity and passion for the game will be evident in everything he does. Chan will be a positive influence on everyone he coaches.

"I wish him all the best."

Jay Fiedler, Quarterback, Miami Dolphins

"I think Chan is one of the best around, and I've worked with a lot of them in different places. He's a great communicator and is great at simplifying things to let guys go out and play football.''

Emmitt Smith, NFL's all-time leading rusher

"Chan Gailey is a very good football coach. He is also an outstanding person.

"From a football perspective, he taught me some things about the running game that I did not know, and he helped my career. He knows how to move the chains and control the tempo of a football game. He knows how to score points, and he knows how to win.

"Away from the field, he is a great person - about as solid a man as you are going to meet. He will have success at Georgia Tech, and I will be pulling for him."

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
[/QB][/QUOTE]

I see resumes ALL THE TIME - THEIR NOT ALWAYS WHAT THE SEEM - YOU HAVE TO PROVE THAT STUFF AS WRITTEN. Chan was an assistant most of his years - why didn't he get a head coaching job before Dallas in the late 90's, for all the good stuff being said about him by the HC's he worked for and the players he coached, looks to me lots of NFL clubs weren't seeing much on his resume they liked to be put him in that position and they weren't listening to his players - something was lacking big time. Then he FINALLY GETS IT - gets fired!! Interesting.

I'm going to bring up 'your' putting down of Tech Players and their comments about Chan and what's happening to Tech - you ALWAYS SAID THEY DON'T COUNT! Guess what - I'm going to say that about comments by Chan's men - guess what they don't count either!

Every time some ex-player from Tech came on here and spoke their piece about this mess you lambasted them! Well, let me say that players can love coaches - doesn't mean crap (your statements in the past)! These players graduated from this school and have more invested into the Alma Mater their insight, connection, love and dedication has no comparison to some PRO WHO GETS PAID TO HAVE HIS COACH LOVE HIM or vice versa! Those comments are just that - paychecks and playing!! NFL minds think alike!

Chan's resume is not any better then George's, GOL had had more success (HC) - my comments about our beloved George O'Leary - yeah I did love him and in that he came here and did EVERYTHING to compete and do well. He NEVER SAID NO TO A CHALLENGE and he had one heck of a one when he took this job! He built it from rubble - this guy is causing the rubble, does he stay and build it - I doubt it? The guy who didn't want the challenge, who wanted no mess and a Top 25 Program!! You really think that's a NICE MAN?

He may be a nice man - but in THIS COACHING ARENA - he has a lot to prove and flunked his first season! COACHING IS WHY WE HIRED HIM. If employers hired people because they were nice - every commercial endeavor would flop! It's nice to have both but that's not the prerequisite.

I'm not going to take the time to list comments from O'Leary's ex-players and coaches he worked with - it's been written many, many places!

You can continue to write what "you" feel is worth it for Chan - I will continue to write what
"I" feel Chan's not worth!

The only saddle Chan had coming here was his own! If you read all his comments when he took this job - he was ready to take over a program that was a Top 25. He didn't want to go to a program rebuilding and fix anyone's mess! Obviously, he saw all the things he liked here in that area. AFTER ONLY ONE YEAR - ONE YEAR, WE ARE HAVING DISCUSSIONS HERE ABOUT TOTAL BACKWARDS THRASHING!!!

The saddle Mustard was him not wanting to give every effort possible before he coached A LICK!!
I have a problem with anyone taking a job and making this kinds of remarks - your damn lazy!! You want to delegate and not have hands-on, I see this all the time - I hire people all the time. Those comments made me sick! This IS A JOB FIRST - you accepted $900k a year to do it - you failed big time in your first year. Forget the x's and o's - I'm looking at all the other stuff!!

As a Tech fan - I want someone busting their tail from day one! I want someone who seeks out and finds out at every turn - what do I do, what can I do, how do I lead, how do I coach, who are the people that I need to talk with at every level of MY PROGRAM TO MAKE SURE I KNOW WHAT THE HECK I'M DOING, connect with my players, teach my players, be a father to my players, bring the fans together, talk to the fans.

He has a lot to prove to me and lots others out here - the only time he's my coach is if he does what is right for this school and in this job, so far he gets an F!

PASSIVENESS IN YOUR JOB WILL GET YOU ABSOLUTELY NOWHERE!! One year of his passiveness has hurt this program dramatically - I don't care if you don't believe - it happened! You attended this school - YOUR SCHOOL IS FIRST AND FOREMOST. I critizize him for what HE DIDN'T DO!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">ANSWER TO MsTechAnalysis

Your ego is so crushed by O'Leary quitting, Mac and BOB being inept, that you have to keep bringing up your job to try to feel important.

There are many people on this board who own their own companies, and maybe many that are CEOs of companies. So, my comment to your frequent referennce regarding your job is, "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn".

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
[/QB][/QUOTE]

Ego has nothing to do with this! I knew that GOL had a clause in his contract with GT that if ND ever came calling, he wanted that opportunity to talk to them - I knew that years ago! Matter-0f-fact, I was happy for him and looking forward to GT hiring another one like him!! This is a JOB - coaches in this era come and go, you just hope they stay long enough to make good things happen.
Coaches don't stay like they did in the Bryant, Dodd and Paterno era.

I knew about that clause and that would be the only time George would look elsewhere - Auburn had come calling a few years ago as well. I even got reminded by the President of my company who went to UGA during the 1999 season about that clause because he was hoping ND would come after him so UGAG would not have to play a GOL - GT team, they were not happy with his success here not only against them but overall! The enemy knew what they were dealing with and having to compete with overally not just when we played each other! There's no fear in their eyes right now!

I WAS happy because I knew he brought us back and the next guy would be in a much better position then he was to continue the positive/winning flow! Whoops, didn't happen! I even sent Braine a note and hoped he would look at certain individuals. No Chan was not one of them because he's not someone on the top of MY list.

My distress has nothing to do with George leaving - it's ALL GOT TO DO WITH WHO THEY ENDED UP WITH AND his first year and the harming this program! The jury is out on Chan, and as you said in previous posts - this year will tell all of us, but in hindsight does anyone here who loves GT want to be saying this NOW! I never expected anyone from GT, who went to GT or loves GT to be coming to any internet board and discussing any of this kind of mess after O'Leary left. Y

Comparisions are constantly made when coaches come and go - Dodd is brought up a lot here with comparisons and rightfully so - I choose to bring up recent ones because I live and go to these games in this era! George is our most recent and luckily our most successful - I like bring up GOOD STUFF because that's what I wanted to be again!

My ego is irrelavant to what I feel here. My feelings are relavant to what I feel here. Ego must be your word for how you feel about Chan and ego doesn't make anyone a good coach!! I didn't come here to post with my ego on anything about GT, I came to post with my feelings and my heart, and that's what is speaking! My heart and feelings don't like what we are going through and having to endure, plain and simple!

QUOTE BY MsTechAnalysis

You talked about saying nice things about the outgoing coach - let me give you this straight - on that night and on that day - NO ONE IN THAT AUDIENCE WAS READY TO HERE GOOD THINGS ABOUT GEORGE! I was there, you weren't. People in the audience before it started were talking negatively about George leaving us behind. About George's resume, about the whole NOTRE DAME THING. Everybody there was mad at George for leaving, for lying for everything.

Chan sure went against the grain in front of his first BIG AUDIENCE! If he wanted to ingratiate himself to the Tech faithful, that night was not the night to bring up George! No, on the contrary, his position then was one of respect and I'm going to tell the masses what I want to do based on that Top 25 program he came to come to and what George did so he could do that.

Everyone was surprised in that audience when he chose to talk about Coach O'Leary on his own! I was pleasantly surprised and give him credit because he gave credit where credit was due! I talked to one coach that night and a few others inside - he defintely knew by their comments the impact of George and he knew what it took to coach here.

ANSWER TO MsTechAnalysis

Again, you are mighty naive to think no other coach would have said the same things.

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Like I said before - no one there that night was pro-O'Leary and they were not ready to hear these accolades! He took some heat for that because that's not what the audience was there for - it was a recruiting get-together!

He went on for 10 minutes about that stuff! Why didn't he just say nothing and not bring anything up - he did not have to do that in that environment especailly under the most current situations. It's funny how "he did know" about academics at GT and NCAA rules about graduation rates - he was laying the groundwork for his tenure and used George as his most recent example!

Chan was informed and wanted to let everyone there know that. Kind of contradicts what he didn't know or supposedly didn't have responsibility for - he was filled in by the regime! O'Leary left (2) of his own, Glenn Spencer who went to Tech and Billy O'Brien who was there for 7 years before. I'm sure they filled him in big time. He said in the paper he was looking to them many times because they were already here.

Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by FHstinger:

drinking.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Now this is a real intelligent statement!! I am disappointed that you or anyone else on here would bring up this junk about where you're from -we live in the 21st Century. Tech has many Northern students - do want them to leave to and throw them out? You're darn right I wanted them - their academic standards are much higher then Virginia Tech and West Virginia!

I guess you know (or maybe you don't know) that's what the ACC was looking for and by the way GT is all about. And if you're saying Tech should be biased in their hiring practices because of where someone eminates from - that's against the law in hiring practices. Coach Cremins was a Northerner, Coach Hewiit is one - I guess we now know what you think!
rolleyes.gif
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Now Ms T&A, as an HR professional, surely you realize that being a Yankee is not a protected class under discrimination law...
tongue.gif

MsTA, pure naivete on your part.

rolleyes.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">NAIVE has never been a word connected to my personality or persona - it never would be brought up by anyone who knows me - guess you don't! Pure speculation on your part, people do that when they weren't there!

...You're darn right I wanted them - their academic standards are much higher then Virginia Tech and West Virginia! ...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Yea right, yankee lady. I bet that's the reason you want BC and Syracuse. As for the ACC wanting them, check Duke, UNC, Virginia.

I'll venture to say that if you had your way, TECH would only be scheduling northern schools.

battleflagflying.gif
battleflagflying.gif
battleflagflying.gif

Back