FSU finally shoots down idiotic Big 12 chat

So, is the ACC going to be the new Big East? We get all the Big East teams and then get pillaged 2 by 2 until all that is left is mediocre at best?

One of three things needs to be happening NOW:
1) ACC needs to be bringing in Penn State and N.D., or;
2) ACC needs to be bringing in Oklahoma and Texas/Ok State, or;
3) Bud needs to be on the phone with the Big 10 and GT needs to be moving.

To hell with sitting back and seeing what happens. Where there is smoke there is fire. F$U is gone. Others will follow.

If this were always true the Big 12 wound no longer exist as a BCS conference and Texas, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma St would all be in the Pac 12.

I bet $20 that the ACC either remains intact or adds teams by the end of this football season.

When the sec expansion talk was going on last year, Tony Barnhart said that #s 13 and 14 were about new markets for the conference. However, he said that #15 and 16 would not necessarily have to be. Tech, Clemson, or FSU were possibilities if the sec expands to 16 teams. Of course, NC State and VPI are also possibilities if the sec expands. If the Big12 were to take Clemson and FSU, and the sec snatched NC State and VPI, turn out the lights, the party's over.

If the Big12 were to take Clemson and FSU, and the sec snatched NC State and VPI, turn out the lights, the party's over.

Especially since we all know Georgia State is going to surpass us in football prowess within the next 5 years.

We're doomed!

If this were always true the Big 12 wound no longer exist as a BCS conference and Texas, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma St would all be in the Pac 12.

WHAT?

The Big XII lost FOUR MEMBERS. How can you say there was no fire???

I didn't forget CU or Mizzou -- but neither is Colorado or TAMU. The Big 12 being able to attract a brand like FSU after losing those big 2 alone shows the conference's strength.

I guess when you are bringing in the Baylor's and TCU's of the world, bringing in a very weakened FSU would make sense. I see the Big 12 eventually imploding. Their centrallized location makes them prime pickings for the PAC 10, Big 10, and SEC.

Other than Texas and Oklahoma, who else does the Big 12 have? Miami, FSU, VT, and Clemson should at least be equal.

WHAT?

The Big XII lost FOUR MEMBERS. How can you say there was no fire???

His logic was that because there were huge rumors that a team was leaving a conference it must be true. The rumors about Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, and Texas leaving were bigger than the FSU rumors. And they didn't leave.

3. Much is being made of the extra $2.9M that the Big 12 contract (which hasn't been inked yet) gets over the ACC contract. Given that the Texas schools are expected to play each other (the Big 12 is at least as Texas centered than the ACC is North Carolina centered), the most likely scenario has FSU playing Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, and West Virginia on a recurring basis and the other teams sporadically (and one more unnamed team has to join to allow the Big 12 to regain a championship game), we realize that our sports teams can no longer travel by bus to most games -- the estimate is that the travel by plane required by FSU to be in the Big 12 appears to exceed the $2.9M difference in the contract -- actually giving us fewer dollars than we have now to be competitive with the Big 12 teams, who obviously do not have to travel as far. Any renegotiated amount depends not just on FSU but the caliber of any other new team to the Big 12.
4. Few believe that the above teams will fill our stadium with fans of these teams and so our lack of sales and ticket revenue would continue. 5. We would lose the rivalry with University of Miami that does fill our stadium
6. It will cost between $20M and $25M to leave the ACC -- we have no idea where that money would come from. It would have to come from the Boosters which currently are unable to support our current University athletic budget, hence the 2% cut in that budget.
7. The faculty are adamantly opposed to joining a league that is academically weaker -- and in fact, many of them resent the fact that a 2% ($2.4M) deficit in the athletics budget receives so much attention from concerned Seminoles, but the loss of 25% of the academic budget (105M) gets none when it is the most critical concern of this University in terms of its successful future.

Emphasis mine.

Money is why FSU will ultimately not make a move to the Big 12.

It will cost more than $20MM to leave the ACC. If the Big 12 has a contract that gives you $2.9MM more per yr that means the payback period is around 8 yrs. FSU is already in a financial hole.

Also, if they make the move to the Big 12 then their travel budget goes up quite a bit. Every single road game for every single sport would be a flight. There would be no road games within driving distance. it also largely takes away any tailgating in football for their fans as every road game is a 2 day drive.

Also, I would be worried about going to the Big 12 and then the Big 12 getting picked apart if the Pac 12 or Big 10 decide to expand and then having to look for a new conference again.

RamblinRed

$2.9M is not enough for the buyout alone. I think he's telling the AA to shut up unless there were a serious offer.

It was directed at fans too, for sure.

Red has it right. If it were guaranteed $10 million more per year, it might make sense. I'd like to see FSU leave and then try begging their way back in a couple of years. As much as we complain about Swofford and the NC mafia, I haven't seen 4 of our teams move to another conference like the Big 12, Big East, CUSA, and WAC have the last few years. Stability is worth something unless 3 years down the road you want to be playing USF every year as your "traditional" opponent.

Yes, but the Longhorn network guarantees that Texas receives more revenue than any other school. FSU would be at a disadvantage.
President said Texas gains a larger share. They get an equal share.

President said Texas gains a larger share. They get an equal share.

Of Tier 1 and 2. They'll always be at a disadvantage on Tier 3. I think the buyout makes it a difficult decision at best for a move to the Big 12.

Of Tier 1 and 2. They'll always be at a disadvantage on Tier 3. I think the buyout makes it a difficult decision at best for a move to the Big 12.
and ACC does not share whatever is beyond Tier 3 and that gives UNC a lot more than FSU ($10 million more as recently as 4-5 years ago). By that definition, FSU is not in an equal share conference either.

That wasn't the president's point, he wasn't familiar with the new equal share model at Big 12.

and ACC does not share whatever is beyond Tier 3 and that gives UNC a lot more than FSU ($10 million more as recently as 4-5 years ago). By that definition, FSU is not in an equal share conference either.

That wasn't the president's point, he wasn't familiar with the new equal share model at Big 12.

I realized that and that's why I said yes, but. No ACC school is making anything near Texas' $300 million on them. I don't blame FSU for looking into it, but truthfully, it probably isn't in their long term interest. The Big 12 could fall apart at any time if the PAC 10 or Big 10 decide to expand again.

Back