FSU finally shoots down idiotic Big 12 chat

Crap.... as soon as they deny it, it means it's going to happen.

Internet logic.

The ACC has done more for Florida State than any other conference has done for any other school. Ever.

FSU - "We are committed to the ACC".
Bill Clinton - "I did NOT have sexual relations with that woman."
George H. W. Bush - "Read my lips. No new taxes"
Nick Saban - "I am not leaving the Dolphins for Alabama"

Just because someone says something now, doesn't mean they won't change their mind later (or in the case of Clinton, just flat out lie about it).

Do I think they're leaving the ACC? Most likely not; but I think they'd listen if an offer was put to them. If that happens, who the hell knows what would come of it?

Cleetus said:
BigXII-Clemson Collusion. Legally, a school may not discuss membership with a conference they are not currently a member of, unless said school has already placed its current conference on notice that it may leave and is researching its options. In the same manner, team A may not speak to a potential transfer on team B without team B granting permission to do so. This explains why Clemson must deny all communications with the BigXII until the ACC has been notified of Clemson’s intent to leave the conference.

Refreshingly retarded. And from "The Dude":

http://dudeofwv.blogspot.com/

Not even going to offer quotes, too much butt hurt. Too much tl;dr. Wonder what they'll do to cover their tracks once they read the news.

EDIT: From the original article, just for contrast.

"They've said I've been in Texas all this week," Spetman said. "My wife was wondering how I was getting back and forth every day."

In a tweet from Thursday, Bohls said that Texas and Texas Tech officials were surprised about the rumors involving FSU and similar rumors involving the Seminoles' ACC partner, Clemson.
"'First I've heard of it,' one high-up says," Bohls tweeted.
When pressed about why reports are existing with respect to his school and Big 12, Spetman added: "I don't know why people have written that.
"I don't know how they can say that — and I don't mean to pick on the media — but how can the media person come out and say that there was a Florida State person in a meeting that wasn't true? How can they get away with that? To my knowledge, nobody from our organization was there. So I don't know how they can get away with saying that."

Feels good man.

Surprised this was ever more than an Internet rumor. I didn't even bother opening the other thread. I guess what happens is someone with no credibility makes a rumor, someone with slightly more credibility reports it because that source is credible enough for them, and then this repeats until a seemingly reputable news organization reports it.

Surprised this was ever more than an Internet rumor. I didn't even bother opening the other thread. I guess what happens is someone with no credibility makes a rumor, someone with slightly more credibility reports it because that source is credible enough for them, and then this repeats until a seemingly reputable news organization reports it.

Well documented:

citogenesis.png

just saw this on bbuzzoff

boom goes the dynamite...

from Florida State Board of Trustees Chairman Andy Haggard

"With the SEC making the kind of money it does it's time to act," said Haggard. "You can't sit back and be content in the ACC. This is a different time financially. This isn't 10-15 years ago when money was rolling in."

Of the few who still support FSU staying in the ACC, most cite the number of well-regarded academic institutions within the conference. However, Haggard scoffed at the idea that the ACC somehow helps FSU's academic reputation.

"No FSU graduate puts on his resume or interviews for a job saying they are in the same conference as Duke and Virginia," he said. "Conference affiliation really has no impact on academics."

Haggard concluded that he will be speaking with FSU president Eric Barron and Athletic Director Randy Spetman about the best way to proceed in exploring options outside of the ACC.

http://floridastate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1364755

just saw this on bbuzzoff

boom goes the dynamite...

from Florida State Board of Trustees Chairman Andy Haggard

http://floridastate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1364755

Wow. I've said it before and I'll say it again. It'll all come down to the Big 12 contract deal that is being negotiated right now. If they can offer $10 million or more than the ACC contract they will be able to have pretty much anyone they want, minus the North Carolina cult schools.

It's time to start working on a deal with ND to join the Big10. If FSU and Clemson go to the Big12, the ACC begins to smell like the Big East. The SEC could begin courting VT, and we don't want to be the last one standing.

Wow. I've said it before and I'll say it again. It'll all come down to the Big 12 contract deal that is being negotiated right now. If they can offer $10 million or more than the ACC contract they will be able to have pretty much anyone they want, minus the North Carolina cult schools.

Well, hell. Maybe if F$U and da U had stepped up their game in the last five years, the ACC would have more clout. On paper, with Tech, VT, Clemson, FSU, and Miami, we should be one of the best conferences in the nation. Too bad two of the teams on that list fell into complete irrelevance.

And yet you still ignore all of the other factors that make it unlikely. If it was the SEC, you'd have a point, but it's not.

It's time to start working on a deal with ND to join the Big10. If FSU and Clemson go to the Big12, the ACC begins to smell like the Big East. The SEC could begin courting VT, and we don't want to be the last one standing.

What clout do we have? What conference is looking for a school, not in their footprint, with a small fan base? We were in the Metro conference at one time. Furthermore, the Big East is in much worse shape regardless. That's why their schools are leaving.

Well, hell. Maybe if F$U and da U had stepped up their game in the last five years, the ACC would have more clout. On paper, with Tech, VT, Clemson, FSU, and Miami, we should be one of the best conferences in the nation. Too bad two of the teams on that list fell into complete irrelevance.

More teams than that have fallen off. UVA, Maryland, and UNC were also in national prominence in the '80's.

That's not to mention that Syracuse, Pitt, and BC were also pretty good back then.

More teams than that have fallen off. UVA, Maryland, and UNC were also in national prominence in the '80's.

That's not to mention that Syracuse, Pitt, and BC were also pretty good back then.

True.

Yeah, but we cant change history. The ACC is second only to the remnants of the big east in perceived football weakness. That undoubtedly hurt us in the contract negotiations. Those schools still have potential to be national powerhouse teams again which makes them attractive.

And yet you still ignore all of the other factors that make it unlikely. If it was the SEC, you'd have a point, but it's not.

Everyone has a price. I think $10 million and a more attractive agreement on the tier 3 rights will overcome any of the factors you guys seem to think override the money. We will see. Again, if the big 12 contract is not as lucrative as being reported it wont matter.

If F$U wants more money, maybe they should focus on winning football games instead of trying to piggyback on some other conference's TV deal. Bunch of ----ing pussies.

As I mentioned before, that $10 million has to be tempered by increased travel costs, risk, Texas' greed, TV exposure, recruiting, etc. That's assuming that $10 million is the number that a new school would receive. If the Big 12 were to implode through Big 10 and PAC 10 expansion, hello Big East.

1) What clout do we have? 2) What conference is looking for a school, not in their footprint, with a small fan base? We were in the Metro conference at one time. Furthermore, the Big East is in much worse shape regardless. That's why their schools are leaving.

1) There are not that many viable candidates when it comes to conference expansion, and Tech is an AAU school, which seems to be a requirement for membership in the Big10.
2) Every school in the nation wants to recruit in the state of Georgia and the Atlanta area. What better way to open up the Big10 to Georgia high school kids than playing in Atlanta every other year?

Back