FSU finally shoots down idiotic Big 12 chat

If I was a commisoner wishing to expand, the first place I would look is Atlanta. Major hub, Huge number of college fans, recruiting hotbed, etc.

If I was a college looking to jump conferences, the last place I would look is the B12. I would rank them below the B10, SEC, ACC, and P12.

They are one big Texas tantrum from imploding.

Just ran a piece on ESPN claiming this is very real. Quoted Jimbo that FSU wants out of ACC.

Blows my mind that anyone really would actually want to move to the Longhorn Conference.

Apparently the new ACC deal is only a bump of $1 million now to $12 million per year, and is heavily backloaded to average out $17 million over the whole term. I am not sure if the reported $20 million figure Big 12 is negotiating is now or backloaded. I don't know how SEC's contract is either.

The first shock to the system hit Wednesday, when the ACC came to terms with ESPN on a 15-year, $3.6 billion agreement that sure sounded good in the press release. Each school was supposedly getting an additional $4 million a year. The average would be $17.1 million annually. Not bad, it seemed.
The reality was bad, however. The initial bump in television revenue is actually just over $1 million a year, sources said, and a total in the $12 million range next season. The deal is back loaded so the bigger money comes in escalator provisions that, considering how broadcast rights keep growing, probably will be below market by the time any sizeable gains are realized.
That additional $4 million per school, per year? That won't come until 2021, nine years in, sources said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf-...big-12.html;_ylt=Ap_pbmxT1TlQ3ELPCvtENDE5nYcB

Apparently the new ACC deal is only a bump of $1 million now to $12 million per year, and is heavily backloaded to average out $17 million over the whole term. I am not sure if the reported $20 million figure Big 12 is negotiating is now or backloaded. I don't know how SEC's contract is either.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf-...big-12.html;_ylt=Ap_pbmxT1TlQ3ELPCvtENDE5nYcB

Not looking good for the ACC, which is really a shame. As much as people like to rag on it, it's a great fit for GT and provides us with a really fun, competitive season almost every year.

Jesus Christ.
so ACC is going to keep handing out low 12-15 millions for a few years more, whereas big 10 has already been giving out more than 22 million for a few years now.

I assume SEC contract is similar to Big 10, but Big 12 and PAC-10 lower, but how much lower is the question.

so ACC is going to keep handing out low 12-15 millions for a few years more, whereas big 10 has already been giving out more than 22 million for a few years now.

I assume SEC contract is similar to Big 10, but Big 12 and PAC-10 lower, but how much lower is the question.

If this is true, then the ACC is ripe for the pickin'!

This could turn into four super conferences with a lot of schools left on the outside looking in - not just GT.

If this is true, then the ACC is ripe for the pickin'!

This could turn into four super conferences with a lot of schools left on the outside looking in - not just GT.
It is already turning into super conferences, but not in terms of playoff, in terms of payments.

F it let's go to the B1G,

Legends division since we have the legends Dodd and Heisman

The ACC should, today, decide to get to 16, 18 or 20 institutions and eliminate the possibility of losing the Florida TV market. Raid the BE again now, before it is the act of a desperado.

I know it wouldn't happen, but it would be agreat move to pick up: Louisville, Cincy, UConn, Rutgers, ND, USF, UCF.

In other news Pitt sued Big East to be able to join ACC in 2013.

Was this encouraged by ACC office to replace someone leaving from ACC in 2013?

In other news Pitt sued Big East to be able to join ACC in 2013.

Was this encouraged by ACC office to replace someone leaving from ACC in 2013?

It could but I think it's more about the negotiations are over and time to start in the acc.

The fsu talk is interesting. I hope it is about getting the acc to wake up ang go north,south. But just like tech, they are looking at a huge money chasm between rivals and they know what that means long term. At least they can recruit who they want and will try and compete.

I know it wouldn't happen, but it would be agreat move to pick up: Louisville, Cincy, UConn, Rutgers, ND, USF, UCF.

The two weakest joining forces does not make a super conference.

Cincy, UConn, USF, UCF???

It is akin to saying that Duke's whole offensive line is filled with RS seniors this year. Problem is, they still suck.

You ever watch Big East games? Louisville vs Rutgers or Uconn vs Cincy? You think Tech games have low turnouts?

Meh, I'm going to try to be optimistic. They say college football works in cycles. Maybe if the ACC picks up some teams from the BE, they will get better down the road. At least the ACC wouldn't be as scattershot geographically as the new BE.

Quoted Jimbo that FSU wants out of ACC.

You sure it wasn't this quote?

JimboFisher said:
“There have been no official talks, but I think you always have to look out there to see what’s best for Florida State,” Fisher said. “If that [jumping to the Big 12] is what’s best for Florida State, then that’s what we need to do.”

Thats very different than Jimbo wants out of the ACC

Also, does that average include Texas' oversized portion? Swofford is showing how badly he sucks though.

Part of the low payout of the ACC is FSU's own ---- fault for dicking up their program so badly. Also Miami. If the ACC had won a few National Championships, or at least played in one recently, we'd be getting more money. FSU should be killing it in the ACC with their recruiting that they have.

Also, does that average include Texas' oversized portion? Swofford is showing how badly he sucks though.
I think they fixed that after Nebraska left and now it's equal division.

Instead, every team gets to keep their 3rd tier rights and Texas will make ööööload of money from that. It seems like SEC is the same way, so not only SEC is making ---- load more than ACC from ESPN, they may be making another 10 million more with their 3rd tier rights.

Ironically I don't think FSU would make much from 3rd tier rights. It looks like they suck outside their big time games' rights.

This was the old numbers:

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2011/05/06/school-specific-broadcasting-revenue/

1 University of North Carolina $11,171,458.00
2 University of Alabama $8,444,674.00
3 University of Kentucky $7,743,327.00
4 University of Florida $7,450,000.00
5 University of Kansas $7,276,988.00
6 Louisiana State University $7,012,730.00
7 Oklahoma State University $6,395,000.00
8 University of Tennessee $6,293,621.00
9 Oregon State University $6,267,671.00
10 University of Georgia $6,231,392.00
26 Georgia Tech $1,254,876.00
36 Florida State University $349,869.00

It seems like these are newer numbers:
Pre- ESPN/Texas deal this is the list that i’ve seen pieced together based off of various press-releases announcing deals for 3rd tier broadcast/advertising deals.

1. Georgia = $92.8 million for 8 years with ISP Sports = $11.6 million a year
2. Ohio State = $110 million for 10 years with IMG College = $11 million a year
3. Florida = $100 million for 10 years with IMG College, Sun Sports = $10 million a year
4. Alabama = $85.0 million for 9 years with ISP/Learfield = $9.44 million a year
5. Texas = $94 million for 10 years with IMG College = $9.4 million a year
6. Nebraska = $112.5 million for 13 years with IMG College = $8.65 million a year
7. Tennessee = $83.4 million for 10 years with IMG College = $8.34 million a year
8. Connecticut = $80 million for 10 years with IMG College = $8 million
9. Kentucky = $80 million for 10 years with IMG College = $8 million
10. North Carolina = $97.5 million for 13 years with Learfield Sports = $7.5 million a year
11. LSU = $74.5 million for 10 years with CBS Collegiate Sports Properties = $7.45 million a year
12. Arkansas = $73 million for 10 years with ISP Sports = $7.3 million a year
13. Michigan = $86 million for 12 years with IMG College = $7.16 million a year
14. Arizona = $80.4 million for 12 years with IMG College = $6.7 million a year
15. Oklahoma = $75 million for 10 years with Learfield Sports = $6.33

cufsuwalk.gif

Back