FSU finally shoots down idiotic Big 12 chat

As I mentioned before, that $10 million has to be tempered by increased travel costs, risk, Texas' greed, TV exposure, recruiting, etc. That's assuming that $10 million is the number that a new school would receive. If the Big 12 were to implode through Big 10 and PAC 10 expansion, hello Big East.

I'm not having this argument again. I really shouldnt even be throwing out hyperbole numbers. My hypothesis is that more money will draw out the schools. How much? I dont know. I guarantee you that conversation is being had behind closed doors at a number of schools in the ACC. If the Big 12, SEC, or Big 10 offers enough anyone will leave, minus the NC schools that run the ACC. It comes down to the contract negotiations. The article linked by Cypto corroborates what I'm saying. We shall see.

I'm not having this argument again. I really shouldnt even be throwing out hyperbole numbers. My hypothesis is that more money will draw out the schools. How much? I dont know. I guarantee you that conversation is being had behind closed doors at a number of schools in the ACC. If the Big 12, SEC, or Big 10 offers enough anyone will leave, minus the NC schools that run the ACC. It comes down to the contract negotiations. The article linked by Cypto corroborates what I'm saying. We shall see.

I don't see the Big 12 contract increasing by much by adding WVU and TCU vs. A&M and Missouri.. They lost the St. Louis market and gained Morgantown.. Like I said, the SEC is a much more likely danger than the Big 12. Even if FSU and Clemson left, the ACC would raid the BE again and stay somewhat relevant. It wouldn't be the WAC for basketball alone. I just don't think that Clemson will take the leap, knowing that an SEC bid could be in the future.. Of course, I might be giving those rednecks too much credit.

Fine. We'll take their $20 million and invite Penn or ND to come over. Have fun traveling to Oklahoma and Texas.

:laugher: I am pretty sure if we could get Penn State or ND to come over we would do so even if FSU didn't leave.

ND may be looking for a home sooner than later if the requirements for the four team playoff is that you win your CONFERENCE.

If anything, it will be that you win your conference with an exception for ND, just like there was an exception in the BCS system.

Sure, the Big 12 makes a whole lot more sense for FSU than Clemson. Jimbo Fisher was the Texas coach in waiting, so he could probably recruit in that area when he loses Georgia and much of the Florida market. And when Texas swallows their pride and joins the PAC 10 or the Oklahoma schools get tired of them taking a disproportionate part of the revenues, FSU can be a star team in a really weak conference.

Sure, the Big 12 makes a whole lot more sense for FSU than Clemson. Jimbo Fisher was the Texas coach in waiting, so he could probably recruit in that area when he loses Georgia and much of the Florida market. And when Texas swallows their pride and joins the PAC 10 or the Oklahoma schools get tired of them taking a disproportionate part of the revenues, FSU can be a star team in a really weak conference.

They can be the next Boise :biggthumpup:

1) There are not that many viable candidates when it comes to conference expansion, and Tech is an AAU school, which seems to be a requirement for membership in the Big10.
2) Every school in the nation wants to recruit in the state of Georgia and the Atlanta area. What better way to open up the Big10 to Georgia high school kids than playing in Atlanta every other year?

1) Nebraska isn't an AAU school. There are several other ACC and Big 12 schools that make more sense from both a geographic and fanbase standpoint. Let's face it, we are not a big state university like Maryland, Kansas, Virginia, or even an Oklahoma.

2) Just having a school in a market does not give you a recruiting advantage and if it did, it would be to our detriment. The vast majority of schools recruit close to home for a reason.

You actually never finished the argument. I'm sure they're listening, but if you consider ALL of the factors, it will take at least $10 million for it to make sense. I agree that if the SEC or Big 10 comes calling that's a different story, but a year ago, the Big 12 was near extinction and if Texas had agreed to split revenues equally, they would be in the PAC 10. That's why you can't even use the average payout per school to be the one that a new member would get.

---- I was right...

I really don't understand why anyone would join the Big XII at this point. Sure, they'd get $2M more per year, but with Texas basically running the conference and the fact that it's been picked apart by the Pac12, the B1G and the SEC, it seems very unstable and the cons outweigh the pros...in my opinion anyway...

1) Nebraska isn't an AAU school. There are several other ACC and Big 12 schools that make more sense from both a geographic and fanbase standpoint. Let's face it, we are not a big state university like Maryland, Kansas, Virginia, or even an Oklahoma.

They were at the time of the agreement...but all that talk is just blustering. If it came down to it the Big10 would swallow their pride and take who they had to take.

They were at the time of the agreement...but all that talk is just blustering. If it came down to it the Big10 would swallow their pride and take who they had to take.

And Maryland, Virginia, Pitt, Kansas, and a few others would be higher on their list than us.

Back