Future Games at MBS

we could be in the middle of the Edge renovation in 2020...moving some home games could be related to that

Dayum, all the negative comments. We aren’t even sure yet what the plan is and some are jumping off 5he proverbial cliff. Let’s wait and see what TS has in mind.

If we play one a year there and still get 6 home contests, then imo it’s a win win for GT.

My personal opinion is CGC is trying to reach out to recruits, metro Atlanta, and sidewalk fans to draw them in to his vision for GT football. There is nothing to lose at this point. It may even turn out to be a big W for GT.

Didn’t we play at Clemson 2 years in a row & that has messed w our schedule ever since, some how?
Would adding a neutral site vs Clemson for 1 year unscrew that up?
Just the opposite. We played at Clemson 2x to avoid have Clemson and UGA at home in the same year.

The coach who is selling playing in BDS, in the heart of the ATL, at night with the Midtown backdrop? He ain’t a fan of this.
According to reports this a.m. on 680, Tech is strapped for cash due to all the coaching changes and "they " see this as a way to raise money. This may work, but as pointed out we lose home games, and as always the other teams fans will out number Tech's. Also, how will the proceeds be split?

According to reports this a.m. on 680, Tech is strapped for cash due to all the coaching changes and "they " see this as a way to raise money. This may work, but as pointed out we lose home games, and as always the other teams fans will out number Tech's. Also, how will the proceeds be split?
It will be explained in the news conference.

This is being reported but seems to be mere speculation. I think the primary motivation for moving a game or two to MBS could be the necessity of upper north closing due to Edge Center renovation.

Using MBS to schedule an occasional Auburn, Tennessee, South Carolina, Florida type game instead of lower tiered teams ( like Alcorn State, Bowling Green, Jacksonville State) where BDS is basically empty anyway would be a good start.

I heard the team will be relocating their home games to Los Angeles to make use of their new stadium on Saturdays.

UGA will then use BDS and the jumbotron as a satellite viewing facility for their fans. BDS will be renamed UGA VIII (RIP) field @ Vince Dooley Stadium. Beer will finally be sold at the stadium (as will smuggled CFA sandwiches). Trash cans will not be provided, but we know their fans are respectful of college settings and police their own trash disposal.

This is LITERALLY going to happen. Verified at local coffee shop.

Really don't like this. If I'm gonna fly halfway across the country to a GT game, I want to tailgate on campus and walk down the hill to BDS.

Assuming the deal is "giving up a home game for a game in MBS" and the game will be included in the season ticket package, I see positives and negatives.

On the negative side, season ticket holders will almost certainly end up in worse seats than they have at BDS, and it sort of devalues Tech Fund donations to keep those good seats at BDS (because you don't get to use the seat you're paying for as often). It also devalues peripheral things like campus parking passes and Stinger Seats, for those who use those things. (I don't.) I guess it devalues the concession discount but from a fan perspective, the concessions at MBS are probably better and cheaper anyway. Older fans (theoretically the big money folks) are probably disproportionately inconvenienced - they may know how to come to a game at BDS after years of doing so, but might not be as comfortable or willing to go to MBS. Yes, it's not that far away, but it's a different world from parking on campus and riding a golf cart to BDS. We give up whatever home field advantage we might ordinarily have, and the exposure of a marquee matchup under the lights at BDS.

On the positive side, hopefully we make more money off of it (including ticket sales and other revenue streams like parking and concessions). Hopefully we get a hype bump in terms of media, recruiting, general exposure, and maybe draw in a few new fans.

It's a minor inconvenience for me - I'll be there regardless, and it could have an exciting, "BiGTime" feel to it. Hopefully it's just one home game out of 7 and not 2/7 or 1/6 that we're losing. Maybe it'll get us out of a burning hot or freezing cold game - I'd be pissed if we lose a perfect fall afternoon to go play in an ugly dome. Unless we're wildly missing the mark on what the announcement will be, I expect that I'll go along with it with minor (like 5-10%) disgruntlement, but I can see where other folks would be more pissed off about it.

JRjr

Really don't like this. If I'm gonna fly halfway across the country to a GT game, I want to tailgate on campus and walk down the hill to BDS.

Simple solution: Come to a game that we play at BDS.

It's not like every game or even every big game will be at MBS.

Assuming the deal is "giving up a home game for a game in MBS" and the game will be included in the season ticket package, I see positives and negatives.

On the negative side, season ticket holders will almost certainly end up in worse seats than they have at BDS, and it sort of devalues Tech Fund donations to keep those good seats at BDS (because you don't get to use the seat you're paying for as often). It also devalues peripheral things like campus parking passes and Stinger Seats, for those who use those things. (I don't.) I guess it devalues the concession discount but from a fan perspective, the concessions at MBS are probably better and cheaper anyway. Older fans (theoretically the big money folks) are probably disproportionately inconvenienced - they may know how to come to a game at BDS after years of doing so, but might not be as comfortable or willing to go to MBS. Yes, it's not that far away, but it's a different world from parking on campus and riding a golf cart to BDS. We give up whatever home field advantage we might ordinarily have, and the exposure of a marquee matchup under the lights at BDS.

On the positive side, hopefully we make more money off of it (including ticket sales and other revenue streams like parking and concessions). Hopefully we get a hype bump in terms of media, recruiting, general exposure, and maybe draw in a few new fans.

It's a minor inconvenience for me - I'll be there regardless, and it could have an exciting, "BiGTime" feel to it. Hopefully it's just one home game out of 7 and not 2/7 or 1/6 that we're losing. Maybe it'll get us out of a burning hot or freezing cold game - I'd be pissed if we lose a perfect fall afternoon to go play in an ugly dome. Unless we're wildly missing the mark on what the announcement will be, I expect that I'll go along with it with minor (like 5-10%) disgruntlement, but I can see where other folks would be more pissed off about it.

JRjr

This is the correct response. Congrats!

Well, we get to play one of our scorching August/September games in a dome, which is OK. Wonder if it'll be a Saturday game or something else (Thursday night, Labor Day, or whatever).

Assuming other things stay the same, that's 6 games at BDS (including UCF and NfD) plus Athens and MBS. Only real travel games are UNC, VPI, Pitt, and finally a game in the Carrier Dome.

JRjr

Using MBS to schedule an occasional Auburn, Tennessee, South Carolina, Florida type game instead of lower tiered teams ( like Alcorn State, Bowling Green, Jacksonville State) where BDS is basically empty anyway would be a good start.
Key word for me is "occasional". We've hired a lot of personnel, so we can understand the financial part. TStan has big building vision.
Also $$$$. Most of us have longed for better games to replace cupcake games. Maybe this would be a solution. In forty or fifty years BDS is going to need a complete overhaul anyway. :naughty:

Are we really this stupid?

The first thing that's going to come from it is UGA is going to demand all GT home games be played at the Benz, while all UGA home games are still played in Athens. Then FSU, Miami, ND, and Clemson will do the same. Then the only games in Bobby Dodd will be Wake Forest or whatever. Then we will forever become a whore to the football factories.

So.

Dumb.

Dumbest thing I have ever heard.
They cant demand öööö, before i would agree to that arrangement i would quit playing the heathens

One game indoors during September heat. Sign me up. I have no issue with that at all. That's a huge benefit. If it were late October November .. then not so much. And given we've had to eat breakfast before most home games ... we should not complain about any situation that puts us under the lights.

You are an idiot. What you say is not even possible. We control our home schedule, as does everyone else. Have you had a recent brain surgery?

People need to give the poster you quoted some slack.

He did not say certain things WILL happen - but you better believe gaggers will say their game vs us in ATL should be played at MBS. Not that it will.

And they will still want their home game in athens.

Back