Game Attendance

A bigger issue than noon games for us is the uncertainty of game time until 7-14 days prior to the game. In all other sports and events the attendees know when they need to show up before they even buy a ticket. In CFB (with a few exceptions) we don't know until 7-14 days before game day which makes planning much more difficult. Case in point we had more fans at a Thursday night Clemson game with a pre-determined start time than at our recent noon Saturday game. People have a lot going on and can't leave an entire day open for a game so they just decide to skip it and catch it on TV instead of attending. It's really a shame.

Last edited:
It is painful to be a GT fan. Painful to lose to teams like Pitt for two years before today. I've carried the white and gold enough in my life. As I have been reminded, I am not a GT grad. GT grads should buy those seats. There is nothing I can do to fix GT football or to help.
Seriously, who are these arseholes who remind you you're not a GT grad? That's just stupid, elitist and unnecessary.

GT trips over itself sometimes to run off fans. You didn't graduate from GT, well let's see what we can do to make you feel like an outsider and remind you that we are smarter than you. Have a mild interest in GT football, well let's see if we can limit access to the radio network to ween you off. Want to promote the school, beware we are very pretentious about our logos and merchandise.

GT is admitting better and more qualified freshmen than they did in yesteryear. Part of the problem is that a significant portion of these highly academically qualified applicants just don't have an interest in football and other spectator sports. I work with dozens of these high intellects from a variety of schools, and those of us who enjoy college football and basketball are a minority. You can't rely on alumni to fill the seats, and if you do things that discourage rather than encourage the non-alumni fan base you put your program in a precarious position.
Pretty much this is the problem. Smart students are typically out of state and international which equals futbol latino sports fans, robot wars, or eSports (yuk).

A bigger issue than noon games for us is the uncertainty of game time until 7-14 days prior to the game. In all other sports and events the attendees know when they need to show up before they even buy a ticket. In CFB (with a few exceptions) we don't know until 7-14 days before game day which makes planning much more difficult. Case in point we had more fans at a Thursday night Clemson game with a pre-determined start time than at our recent noon Saturday game. People have a lot going on and can't leave an entire day open for a game so they just decide to skip it and catch it on TV instead of attending. It's really a shame.

What? We had more fans at a game against a top-5 ranked football factory school on a Thursday night than we did against a FCS marching band school at noon on a Saturday? Clearly the only difference was the start time!

JRjr

A lot of Narduzzi's around here...

Here's to the "Narduzzi" tag being up there with the "Yetman" one.

No Tech man should aspire to be either a Narduzzi (whiner/complainer) or a Yetman (contrarian for no legitimate reason).

What? We had more fans at a game against a top-5 ranked football factory school on a Thursday night than we did against a FCS marching band school at noon on a Saturday? Clearly the only difference was the start time!

JRjr
I should have specified our recent noon game against Clemson in 2014 where fewer than 50k tickets were sold. Yes, one of our best seasons in a generation and we couldn't even sell out Clemson on a Saturday at the tail end of the season.

Back