Game Attendance

I wonder why this is. I have some ideas but I'm curious what other people think.

For one, there may be a phenomenon where boys who are bad at sports tend not to cultivate an interest in them. So they go inside and read books or whatever instead, and become smart. Simplistic explanation but maybe it's true?

I was a nonathletic nerd but back then (70's) there was no home computing plus internet so sports fandom sort of went with the suite of things guys did because we could not go into a fantasy world of our own creation online and there was no cable to saturate you with 30 games a week to pick from. What you could see was special as was going to a game.

It's 3 weeks into the year and I have already seen 2 Tech games on TV and probably can see 6 more before the year is out and I live in Dallas where interest in anything GT is so meager that the alumni club died apparently, but I can still see 8 of their games.

For me while I am glad I went to Tech my time there wasn't all that much fun so I have no reason whatsoever to want to physically go back.

It is Pitt and the team has lost two in a row to them. Nobody gets excited about being a loser to Pitt, they suck and are a boring team. Not many care about financially supporting that. Get better and more will care.
Totally agree. Tech has a boring offense, grind it out, we have a coach that is not out front drumming up support. Little or no local media support, it's all ugay.Really no interest from our AD to get fans to attend. Too many foreign students being admitted who have no interest in sports, with a very small interest from American born students in being engineers. That is just my opinion as a Tech fan who has attended and bought season tickets for 46 years.

Totally agree. Tech has a boring offense, grind it out, we have a coach that is not out front drumming up support. Little or no local media support, it's all ugay.Really no interest from our AD to get fans to attend. Too many foreign students being admitted who have no interest in sports, with a very small interest from American born students in being engineers. That is just my opinion as a Tech fan who has attended and bought season tickets for 46 years.

Disagree with boring offense. I think it's pretty exciting myself. Especially with the QB-BB-AB tandem currently. Maybe the most exciting trio since JfN/Dwyer/Roddy/Ant

GT trips over itself sometimes to run off fans. You didn't graduate from GT, well let's see what we can do to make you feel like an outsider and remind you that we are smarter than you. Have a mild interest in GT football, well let's see if we can limit access to the radio network to ween you off. Want to promote the school, beware we are very pretentious about our logos and merchandise.

GT is admitting better and more qualified freshmen than they did in yesteryear. Part of the problem is that a significant portion of these highly academically qualified applicants just don't have an interest in football and other spectator sports. I work with dozens of these high intellects from a variety of schools, and those of us who enjoy college football and basketball are a minority. You can't rely on alumni to fill the seats, and if you do things that discourage rather than encourage the non-alumni fan base you put your program in a precarious position.

The only good thing about this policy is we know who our real fans are. :lol2:

I don't get these dumbasses who say that our offense is boring. From the opponents, it's just sour grapes. But from our own fans?

Big plays are not boring. Pounding the other team into submission is not boring. Long runs and passes under CPJ that have rewritten Tech's "longest play" records and a lot of opponents' "bad defense" records are not boring.

You know what was boring? Sitting in Jacksonville watching friggin' Megatron lose a championship game to Wake Damn Forest by a score of 9-6. THAT was boring.

JRjr

I still enjoy going to Tech games. In fact, it's one of the things I look forward to most each year. That's regardless of the offense, defense, coach, quarterback, opposing team, etc.

That said, it's much easier to start the 4 hour car ride knowing that there is a good opponent waiting and that I won't be in heat stroke before the second quarter due to a noon game. It's a much easier trip when we are playing fsu, Clemson, georgia, or VT. Same for pretty much any sec team save Vanderbilt. I just don't get excited for Duke, Pitt, WF or BC. But I still enjoy being on campus.

I'm curious what you find boring about it. I guess sometimes it can be repetitive, running the same few plays over and over. Coach Johnson tends to hone in on plays that work against a given team. There's also not much passing, so if you like lots of pocket passing, the offense might be dull. Or just if you've had Cheerios for breakfast for 30 years and then you have to start eating Raisin Bran, you might miss your Cheerios.

There's a lot in the pros column for this offense though: big plays, physical (what offense puts more defenders on the ground?), high scoring efficiency, good at exploiting defensive weaknesses...

I love our offense. CPJ will retire at GT someday and I hope one of his protégés replaces him. Otherwise, I can see me ceasing going to games if we go to one of those stupid shotgun every play offenses where a 4th and 1 may as well be a 4th and 7.

I wonder if we could learn a thing or two from the atlutd folks about creating a better game day environment. Noon games are the biggest culprit to me.

Back