Genuine Question

Our team is mostly freshman and sophomores. We have had a chance to win every game late in the 4th Qtr prior to today. This happens at times during a rebuild. Get over yourself.

By our roster — and mind you, everybody gets a free year — it's 11 seniors and RS seniors. 12 RS juniors and juniors. But many of those guys classified as juniors — Charliie, Juanyeh, e.g., are in their fourth year. Tobias is listed as a RS junior, but this is his fourth year of playing. Same for Jordan Mason. Not fourth year on campus - fourth year of suiting up and playing. They were both 2017 signees, so this is year five on campus for them.
Jamious Griffin (should we put him on a milk carton? Hadn't seen him in a while) is listed as a sophomore but this is his third season of college football. Yates and Wesley Walker are listed as RS freshmen but for them too it's their third year of college football.

I did a rough count a couple of months ago of guys who could be eligible to play this year from the time CGC took over until now but aren't there. I included Quinney (who took a job) but not Curry (because ... well, the guy was in one of Pepper Rodgers' signing classes. Or it seemed like it). I counted 35 scholarship guys no longer on the team, give or take one or two, and that number includes Collins' own signees who have subsequently bailed — Gleason, Brown, Rankins, et al.
So it's his roster now. And it's three years of our ballyhooed strength and conditioning regimen.
And we still got boatraced by Pitt at home. Pitt's not bad. Pickett is the second best QB we'll see all year and might be the best once it's said and done. Neither are they 2018 Clemson, though.

The number of juniors, seniors, whatever means less now because of the extra year everybody gets unless somebody really, really wants to take a very deep data dive

Here's another genuine question, because I cannot possibly read every single post here, especially when two thirds of them are retarded.

Did anyone post here about the dude who was arrested for trespassing on Pitt's sideline before the game?

And was it GTRules?

Are we serious about Winning?

Are we?

I wonder what Jeff Sims would look like being developed by a Guy like Art Briles as QB Coach-OC, he has those long legs and long stride like Heisman Winner RG-III?

How bad do we want it, Briles is a available and at a discount, we get maybe 3 yrs out of him at discounted Rates, only a matter of Time before an SEC Team hires him or Miami.

If I'm Miami's AD I hire him, you don't have a reputation to protect , you might as well win big
I have no problem with Art Briles. And he at least used to be a pretty dman good coach. My only question is if he would be a problem for recruiting.

Not sure what this is supposed to mean. Not a good analogy. No Harbaugh (a terrific coach) on GT's sidelines. GT needs a big upgrade at the coordinator spots since Collins is here for a while.

The head coach for that Ravens team was Brian Billick. We are getting trounced by Pitt. I think it's because they play stout football and Tech teams traditionally have not done well against that style team.

The head coach for that Ravens team was Brian Billick. We are getting trounced by Pitt. I think it's because they play stout football and Tech teams traditionally have not done well against that style team.

Gotcha--I realized after the fact that I may have had coaching tenures in my head mixed up. Still, the NFL having parity with a salary cap and being an execution driven league has little analogous with college football.

And Billick was a much better coach than anything on GT's sideline right now.

The answer to not getting trounced by a team (like Pitt) having big lines is for GT to have similar size/talent on the lines and to be coached well. Hopefully, recruiting will continue to address the former and of course, more talent almost always makes the latter look smarter.

I went to an alumni club meeting this summer and the GT Alum folks were talking up how much Coach Collins was saying he was ready to win this season. However football still requires fundamentals such as blocking and tackling. Regardless of schemes. Most Georgia Tech fans and alum are smart enough to want to see a good offense and good defense on the field. Not get blown out several times a year. This explains why there was 30,000 empty seats for the Georgia Tech vs Pitt game.

So a week ago most Fans and Alum (who have not put down the Coach Collins kool aid yet) had the belief that if GT beat Pitt we'd be in the driver's seat for the coastal, however its hard to say Coach Collins could never win an ACC championship. However beating a top 10 opponent? No way, I don't think so, unless its an early season win over a grossly overranked team. (kinda like the recent North Carolina game) A 10 win season? Not without some major staffing changes. Given enough time, he could maybe, possibly accomplish all three. But that might take 10-15 seasons at the rate we are going and I don't think he will be here that long along with the fact that most fans hope he is shown the door sooner than later. All you have to do is listen to the 30,000 empty seats at last weeks game.

Last edited:
I went to an alumni club meeting this summer and the GT Alum folks were talking up how much Coach Collins was saying he was ready to win this season. However football still requires fundamentals such as blocking and tackling. Regardless of schemes. Most Georgia Tech fans and alum are smart enough to want to see a good offense and good defense on the field. Not get blown out several times a year. This explains why there was 30,000 empty seats for the Georgia Tech vs Pitt game.

So a week ago most Fans and Alum (who have not put down the Coach Collinskool aid yet) had the belief that if GT beat Pitt we'd be in the driver's seat for the coastal, however its hard to say Coach Collins could never win an ACC championship. However beating a top 10 opponent? No way, I don't think so, unless its an early season win over a grossly overranked team. (kinda like the recent North Carolina game) A 10 win season? Not without some major staffing changes. Given enough time, he could maybe, possibly accomplish all three. But that might take 10-15 seasons at the rate we are going, and I don't think he will be here that long. and most fans hope he is shown the door sooner than later. All you have to do is listen to the 30,000 empty seats at last weeks game.
The empty seats began toward the end of CPJ's tenure. We had a game against UVA at the end of 2018 in which a win would tie us for a share of the Coastal, and we only had 35k fans there. Top that with poor performance in the transition, then COVID on top of that and folks just aren't coming to games. Other than your top handful of teams that sell out every week, attendance is down across the board in CFB, it's not just here. I agree though we should be able to get 45-50k per game with a good product on the field once all the COVID mess is gone.

W
Are we serious about Winning?

Are we?

I wonder what Jeff Sims would look like being developed by a Guy like Art Briles as QB Coach-OC, he has those long legs and long stride like Heisman Winner RG-III?

How bad do we want it, Briles is a available and at a discount, we get maybe 3 yrs out of him at discounted Rates, only a matter of Time before an SEC Team hires him or Miami.

If I'm Miami's AD I hire him, you don't have a reputation to protect , you might as well win big
What about Tom Herman?

So a week ago most Fans and Alum (who have not put down the Coach Collinskool aid yet) had the belief that if GT beat Pitt we'd be in the driver's seat for the coastal, however its hard to say Coach Collins could never win an ACC championship. However beating a top 10 opponent? No way, I don't think so, unless its an early season win over a grossly overranked team. (kinda like the recent North Carolina game) A 10 win season? Not without some major staffing changes. Given enough time, he could maybe, possibly accomplish all three. But that might take 10-15 seasons at the rate we are going, and I don't think he will be here that long. and most fans hope he is shown the door sooner than later. All you have to do is listen to the 30,000 empty seats at last weeks game.
Dude , why are you so stubborn?

Attendance was listed as 36K & change so make that 19K empty seats

Everything you listed above is fixed by better players, specifically better linemen on both sides of the ball.

All Coaches attend the same seminars, learn the same drills & techniques, with the exception of a few Clock Mgmt strategies, Special Teams Decisions, maybe 4th Down calls all coaching is substantially equal to other Coaching, what determines winners and losers is Players, linemen first, then QBs , then DBs, then all the other skill positions.

It is all about the Players, if it was about Coaching, our genius previous HC had 1 month to get ready for Iowa and LSU in those first 2 Bowl Games, but coaching meant nothing while we got smoked by 2 Teams with a lot more Athletes than we had at that time.

Better players solves everything, CFB is nothing like it was 70 yrs when Dodd was the HC.

I wish our Fans (not you OP) would forget bygone Eras and try to understand CFB in 2021.

W

What about Tom Herman?
He spit the bit at Texas, do not want.

Hard pass!

He was Recruiting from Texas HSs and the best he could muster was Sam Ehlinger(sp?) at QB.

Nope, send him back to the G5 where he belongs.

- Stupid penalties are waaayyy down.
- I think we've made 6 FGs in a row now, as well as no blocked/missed XPs.
- Kickoffs routinely through the end zone.
- Seems like more TOs generated this year than last.
- Better QB play in UNC than any game in 2020/2019

Lots to go but to pretend nothing has improved is just anti-CGC bias.

It is all about the Players, if it was about Coaching, our genius previous HC had 1 month to get ready for Iowa and LSU in those first 2 Bowl Games, but coaching meant nothing while we got smoked by 2 Teams with a lot more Athletes than we had at that time.

With a full month to prepare for those huge games, we trotted out the same thing we'd run all year and changed nothing at halftime of either game, even as it was clear we were being ass-hammered. For all the press PJ got for being a gameday master, his in-game changes were almost non-existent during his time here. (notable exception: 2014 vs mutts) It's why we Death Marched against Duke in 2018. Down 21 pts. In the 4th qtr. Glad that öööö is gone.

- Stupid penalties are waaayyy down.
- I think we've made 6 FGs in a row now, as well as no blocked/missed XPs.
- Kickoffs routinely through the end zone.
- Seems like more TOs generated this year than last.
- Better QB play in UNC than any game in 2020/2019

Lots to go but to pretend nothing has improved is just anti-CGC bias.

Didn’t Pitt block a field goal attempt last week?

JRjr

Back