Genuine Question

Yes it is!

Every time a "Genius Playcaller" from College goes to the NFL where there is a Salary Cap and the League is designed to create parity, those geniuses from College get a rude wake up call and many wish they could go back to college unless they just hate the Recruiting aspect or worrying about making Players go to Class.

Look no further than Urban Meyer, he is already packing it in trying to find a way to weasel his way out and go after the USC Job.

Amazing that Urban's Genius Talents and play calling have seemingly evaporated into thin air?

Where have his genius "Coaching 'em up" skills gone to?
Can’t recruit in the NFL. Teams with the best GMs tend to win more. Plenty of “NFL” coaches have failed in college. Some NFL coaches succeed with one franchise only to fail at another. Did they suddenly get stupid?

Both pro and college, wins and losses, are due to a multitude of factors.

Fair or not wins and losses are the ultimate decider. If someone isn’t winning at the set winning percentage, deemed acceptable by decision makers, they will eventually be replaced.

Outsmarting your opponent is the cure to everything, especially when you will never be able to out-athlete some of the teams on your schedule. I don’t give a öööö what system we use to do it, all I know is we aren’t doing it anymore.

we haven't outsmarted any tougher opponents in years.

Yes it is!

Every time a "Genius Playcaller" from College goes to the NFL where there is a Salary Cap and the League is designed to create parity, those geniuses from College get a rude wake up call and many wish they could go back to college unless they just hate the Recruiting aspect or worrying about making Players go to Class.

Look no further than Urban Meyer, he is already packing it in trying to find a way to weasel his way out and go after the USC Job.

Amazing that Urban's Genius Talents and play calling have seemingly evaporated into thin air?

Where have his genius "Coaching 'em up" skills gone to?

They're partying with Spurrier and Saban's skills, waiting for Urban's to join 'em.

Every upset was just luck then? Guess we just focus on recruiting and let the players call the plays and make their own substitutions.

PJ rarely outsmarted VPI, Miami, Clemson and uga, especially the last 5 years or so - it was widely discussed here - and at the end, wasn't even outsmarting Duke.

What upset are you referring to? Last week vs UNC? We just beat them - no outsmarting.

PJ rarely outsmarted VPI, Miami, Clemson and uga, especially the last 5 years or so - it was widely discussed here - and at the end, wasn't even outsmarting Duke.

What upset are you referring to? Last week vs UNC? We just beat them - no outsmarting.
I disagree. I think most upsets do involve a decent degree of “outsmarting” the opponent. Probably including UNC this year, pending further review as to how good they really are as the season progresses.

I disagree. I think most upsets do involve a decent degree of “outsmarting” the opponent. Probably including UNC this year, pending further review as to how good they really are as the season progresses.

what upsets are you thinking of where we outsmarted someone?

what upsets are you thinking of where we outsmarted someone?
Lol. Going back how far? You want me to list every one? Like I said, I think most upset (for every team not just Tech) involve a certain degree of “outsmarting” the opponent. And generally, the bigger the upset the better the example of this. (Think App State vs Mich) Doesn’t just involve upsets of course. I think it also often occurs when a team plays closer than they should be expected to. (Think ARMY vs Oklahoma, GSU vs Bama, GSU vs Tech, GSU vs uga). A lot of it comes down to grit and want to by the players. But it also usually involves a good deal of game prep, play calling, and execution which is generally due to a good coaching performance.

A couple photos from the Pitt game
Here is my pic at kickoff (the last time I felt like taking one, lol). Not trying to prove a point either way, just a data point:

IMG_20211002_120259361_HDR.jpg

We beat VPI 3 times in a row from 2016-2018 and beat Miami the last time we played them as well, so you’re wrong. Considering that they both clearly had better players than us, I’m not sure how else you explain that. We also beat Clemson/UGA 8 times, each of which they had better players.

We stopped winning because our main rivals got much better players and we didn’t.

Last edited:
Coastal Carolina gets a lot of transfers from the P5 vs a schedule from the the G5 that makes them look better than they really are.

Coastal Carolina ain't out smarting people.
This is a very strange argument. Are you suggesting that coaches don’t make a difference other than recruiting good players?

Lol. Going back how far? You want me to list every one? Like I said, I think most upset (for every team not just Tech) involve a certain degree of “outsmarting” the opponent. And generally, the bigger the upset the better the example of this. (Think App State vs Mich) Doesn’t just involve upsets of course. I think it also often occurs when a team plays closer than they should be expected to. (Think ARMY vs Oklahoma, GSU vs Bama, GSU vs Tech, GSU vs uga). A lot of it comes down to grit and want to by the players. But it also usually involves a good deal of game prep, play calling, and execution which is generally due to a good coaching performance.

or sometimes it involves the better team taking the other team lightly until it was too late. Think...well, every example you gave, including the strange inclusion of games that were losses rather than upsets.

Fact is, we haven't outsmarted anyone in awhile. I think we're discussing 2 different things.

We beat VPI 3 times in a row from 2016-2018 and beat Miami the last time we played them as well, so you’re wrong. Considering that they both clearly had better players than us, I’m not sure how else you explain that.

We stopped winning because we didn’t have the players.

I think we flat-out out-played a few of the wins you cited, rather than outsmarted. PJ outsmarted in 2008 but by 2018, what we ran was a secret to no one. If we won, it's because we lined up and beat them.

I agree with your last sentence. But we had better players than Clemson in 2009 when we swept them. We were better than uga in 09 too...and Richt out-coached PJ. We were better than uga in 2014. Since 2014, both Clemson and uga have been better and, except 2016 vs mutts, we got our asses beat by them.

Last edited:
We beat VPI 3 times in a row from 2016-2018 and beat Miami the last time we played them as well, so you’re wrong. Considering that they both clearly had better players than us, I’m not sure how else you explain that. We also beat Clemson/UGA 8 times, each of which they had better players.

We stopped winning because our main rivals got much better players and we didn’t.
Why didn't we simply out smart those better Players and have our Genius in Residence HC at that time just draw up genius playcalls?

So much for out- smarting and out-coaching making a huge difference like you claim it does?

or sometimes it involves the better team taking the other team lightly until it was too late. Think...well, every example you gave, including the strange inclusion of games that were losses rather than upsets.

Fact is, we haven't outsmarted anyone in awhile. I think we're discussing 2 different things.
I think you are confusing facts and opinions also.

I think we flat-out out-played a few of the wins you cited, rather than outsmarted. PJ outsmarted in 2008 but by 2018, what we ran was a secret to no one. If we won, it's because we lined up and beat them.

I agree with your last sentence. But we had better players than Clemson in 2009 when we swept them. We were better than uga in 09 too...and Richt out-coached PJ. We were better than uga in 2014. Since 2014, both Clemson and uga have been better and, except 2016 vs mutts, we got our asses beat by them.
I only agree with you about the 2009 team. That was the only year since 90 I think we had a more talented team than uga. We should have beat them that year. Didn’t make the adjustments on D we needed to in order to win. We just couldn’t stop their rushing attack. That one was painful and a win over uga would have made that one of the best years in the history of the program. A damn shame. I think the talent gap over Clemson was even slimmer if not equal. Getting drubbed by Iowa didn’t help in the bowl and ended things on a damper. That was a good team and they had a lot of heart.

You're absolutely right. Georgia Tech Head Coach Geoff Collins needs time and he will bring this program to the glory days of Bobby Dodd. This talk of the guy before Coach Collins should cease. A rational and realistic fanbase- fans, not professional coaches- should recognize the poor performance, piss poor coaching and pitiful preparation prevented proper progress.

I believe in Coach Collins.
Doesn’t seem very polite to tell PressMan who he can and can’t talk about. Especially when you discuss that person yourself.

All joking aside. Other than gathering more stars than usual for Tech (to his credit) what gives you so much faith in CGC’s ability?

- Stupid penalties are waaayyy down.
- I think we've made 6 FGs in a row now, as well as no blocked/missed XPs.
- Kickoffs routinely through the end zone.
- Seems like more TOs generated this year than last.
- Better QB play in UNC than any game in 2020/2019

Lots to go but to pretend nothing has improved is just anti-CGC bias.
Also nice that the receivers are catching most of what is thrown at them (that is catchable).

Back