Geoff Collins Highlights Thread

Crybabies going to cry.

We had 570 yards. Defense needs an overhaul

I thought stats were for losers.
That's what we said here for 11 years, right?

Virginia's defense is 96th in the country in total defense. (that my include tonight's stats, which will drive them down a little). They gave up 59 to UNC. They gave up 503 yards to Louisville.
We do have weapons on offense — Gibbs, Mason, Smith, Carter, Sanders, McGowan, Sims. But it's not like we just rolled through Alabama.

Virginia's defense is 96th in the country in total defense. (that my include tonight's stats, which will drive them down a little). They gave up 59 to UNC. They gave up 503 yards to Louisville.
We do have weapons on offense — Gibbs, Mason, Smith, Carter, Sanders, McGowan, Sims. But it's not like we just rolled through Alabama.
When did I say stats are for losers. The offense did what it took to win. There were some critical BS hold calls called on us I the second half while UVA got away with a big hold on a TD drive.

Even if it's cause UVAs defense isn't good, we then at least kind of met expectations in getting yards and points on a not good defense.

The offense looks pretty decent. We got critical BS hold calls on two consecutive possessions while UVA got away with a WR holding our DB out of bounds.
Blaming officiating every week gets tiresome. Giving up over 600 yards makes it apparent to me that we are not better on defense than we have been in the last 20 years and this is with a head coach who supposedly is a defensive coach.

Doesn't look like Keion White showed up. He is either still hurt or just isn't that good.
Therein is another concern. The players that we have brought in through the portal have, for the most part, been non-productive, even liabilities at times. Three OL's that are poor, at best, a cornerback that can't cover or tackle, and more than one DL that can't even find the field and a WR that couldn't crack the ATL and has already left the program. Can our coaching staff just not evaluate talent effectively or just can't coach them?

Well at least after the UVA loss Coach Collins can talk about being Onside Kick U?
He was different in the post Game presser.

He was pissed at the Defense.

I think Thacker is on notice, CGC was very different from his other post game press conferences, very little coach speak.

Therein is another concern. The players that we have brought in through the portal have, for the most part, been non-productive, even liabilities at times. Three OL's that are poor, at best, a cornerback that can't cover or tackle, and more than one DL that can't even find the field and a WR that couldn't crack the ATL and has already left the program. Can our coaching staff just not evaluate talent effectively or just can't coach them?
I think that’s typical for how the portal works across college football. I don’t get excited about transfers anymore.

I was not expecting much out of McGowen, but he’s been really good.

I think that’s typical for how the portal works across college football. I don’t get excited about transfers anymore.

I was not expecting much out of McGowen, but he’s been really good.
McGowan wanted to move on because he graduated, maybe he knew NW would be weak this year and wanted guaranteed time close to home, but Programs don't let starting caliber OLs leave their Program, not sure Ace Eley would have started for Md this yr. at LB

Maybe we should target places like Ohio State, ND , Bama, maybe when they Recruit a 5* stud OL maybe a decent player gets pushed out, and maybe an OL like that can help more than the guys we got from Tenn & Vandy

McGowan wanted to move on because he graduated, maybe he knew NW would be weak this year and wanted guaranteed time close to home, but Programs don't let starting caliber OLs leave their Program, not sure Ace Eley would have started for Md this yr. at LB

Maybe we should target places like Ohio State, ND , Bama, maybe when they Recruit a 5* stud OL maybe a decent player gets pushed out, and maybe an OL like that can help more than the guys we got from Tenn & Vandy
Indicative of the state of our program.....hanging our hat on a transfer from Old Dominion.........

Indicative of the state of our program.....hanging our hat on a transfer from Old Dominion.........

Not sure how you squeezed that out of what he said.
The reason there was so much hype for that transfer is that our pass rush has been so bad for so many years we've been desperate for anyone to come in who could help turn that around. It hasn't all been the fault of rushing 3 people in the overall, I think there were times last year we could rush 5 or 6 and not get there and when we did, if it wasn't a CB blitz, the QB would sidestep and the guy blitzing would sail right past him.

Blaming officiating every week gets tiresome. Giving up over 600 yards makes it apparent to me that we are not better on defense than we have been in the last 20 years and this is with a head coach who supposedly is a defensive coach.
Do you not agree that one of those holds which was called after a fairly big play was NOT a hold and put us in a 1st and 20 hole deep in our own territory? Did that not have an effect on the play calling and game? We were still in it at that point and got a critical call against us that even the announcers said was a bad call.
I know, in your world, 1st and 20 is not a big deal deep in our territory. It happened to us twice, both questionable calls, 1 definitely a bad call, the other our OL had his hands inside like every other OL on every other team in CFB does on every play and it still got called.

Nobody said that. We see a player warming up who is on the depth chart who has pretty good career stats and are wondering why he isn't playing.

Not sure how you squeezed that out of what he said.
The reason there was so much hype for that transfer is that our pass rush has been so bad for so many years we've been desperate for anyone to come in who could help turn that around. It hasn't all been the fault of rushing 3 people in the overall, I think there were times last year we could rush 5 or 6 and not get there and when we did, if it wasn't a CB blitz, the QB would sidestep and the guy blitzing would sail right past him.
Desperate is the correct word.

We all bought the BS over the summer about these transfers on the defensive side. And not one has done anything. Collins got us.

And UVA is a mediocre football team. They’ve played a bunch of nobodies and got drubbed by Wake and UNC. Their QB is alright but y’all act like he’s some sort of star. Just because he completes passes, plays hard, and isn’t a pick machine doesn’t mean he is a star. We’ve seen such poor QB play from our team the last 5-6 years that when y’all see a guy who is decent you think he’s way better than he is. Hint- we make all QB’s look like an NFL prospect. Remember the Syracuse and UCF QB’s from last year?

We all bought the BS over the summer about these transfers on the defensive side. And not one has done anything. Collins got us.

And UVA is a mediocre football team. They’ve played a bunch of nobodies and got drubbed by Wake and UNC. Their QB is alright but y’all act like he’s some sort of star. Just because he completes passes, plays hard, and isn’t a pick machine doesn’t mean he is a star. We’ve seen such poor QB play from our team the last 5-6 years that when y’all see a guy who is decent you think he’s way better than he is. Hint- we make all QB’s look like an NFL prospect. Remember the Syracuse and UCF QB’s from last year?
They are a mediocre 6-2 Team in our ACC that plays in our Division, not bad to be Bowel Eligible before Halloween.

Given their Facilities, location and surrounding HS Talent Level, UVA is playing better than expectations.

I will admit that my personal feeling is that GT should beat most ACC Teams like 17 times out of 20 years we play them, we should always own ACC Teams like UVA, Duke, Wake, Pitt, Syracuse, BC, NC State, Louisville.

The only ACC Teams where we have to fight to beat them, should be, VT, Clemson, Miami, FSU, UNC.

Due to our self inflicted issues and bad decisions administratively, GT FB historically performs beneath what CFB experts think we should be.

Just because he completes passes, plays hard, and isn’t a pick machine doesn’t mean he is a star. Brother he would be on our team!

The first OL wasn't great but he filled a hole where we needed bodies. The one we got last year has been mostly reliable. Had a couple bad games and has played through injury but is playing pretty good right now. 3rd OL is grading out as one of the top 3 pass blocking OL per PFF this season. Which DL are you referring? Harris is playing a different position than he was at Bama, Scott is basically still a true freshman, missed a good bit of last season at USCe in covid protocals and contact tracing. Keion White is not back yet. When he is you will see him play. He was dressed the last 2 games for emergency use. He has legitimate NFL potential and our coaches aren't going to risk that by sending him out there not ready. If he isn't able to get on the field enough this year to get some film out, he has another year of eligibility.

I’d be kind of curious to see a “superlatives” list for every game of the CGC era. A couple of surprising wins as underdogs, to be fair, but also a lot of “blown out as a favorite, lost at home as a favorite, gave up 6th most yards in opponent history, allowed opponent to match their season average in the first half” kinds of things. We’re building up quite a resume of frustration and futility, even without the all-time historic beatings.

JRjr

Back