Geoff Collins is a Joke

RussianOffense

НЕТ ВОЙНЕ
As GT fans we need to give CGC as much support as we can. Focus on his positives: he is doing a great job recruiting.
Is he really though? Last year's class was definitely good, with 3 great freshman-starter players in Gibbs, Sims, and Williams. But this year's class seems pretty lackluster right now. Where is the DL and LB talent we desperately need?

Right now we're ranked 39th in the country and 10th in the ACC by 24/7. That might be higher than Paul Johnson's typical recruiting ranking but it's not an apples to apples comparison, since the type of players recruited for his offensive system may just rank lower. Paul Johnson defensive recruits vs. Geoff Collins defensive recruits would be apples to apples, and I think Collins might be worse there so far.

Old-Fashioned UGA Hater

Varsity Lurker
??? when did we lose to Georgia Southern? We've had 4 losses in 1.5 seasons that sent television commentators into the records books to find out how many decades you have to go back to find an equivalent., in 3 (maybe all 4) of those it was worse than anything in the record books. It is fascinating that people simply shrug it off to rebuild. Rebuild is a reasonable excuse for a losing season, I don't believe rebuild alone can explain record setting losses. People act like a rebuild on offense has never happened in the history of football before now. Go ask UAB what a real complete rebuild looks like (see UAB 2017 season).

I hope CGC can get the program on the right track, and he is obviously trying to do it via both traditional recruiting and the portal (the portal should help speed up a rebuild shouldn't it?); but I have my doubts if he continues to enter the record books for the wrong reason, particularly in his second season. You can only use the rebuild excuse so many times before recruits and recruits parents get wise to it.
We didn't lose to Southern but it makes my point. The Gardener Webb game was mentioned as we won in excruciating fashion. We needed a last second 4th down play to beat Georgia Southern. These games along with others like the MTSU game were played by a program in it's heyday but a first year coach with none of his players lose to the Citadel and it's the worse loss in the history of time? And yes, after a power 5 team switches from the the triple option, it is the toughest rebuild I can possibly think of. We had experts pick us to win one game last year. We had experts forecast at least three full seasons before we would become competitive with any middle tier ACC team again. But we have so many expert fans that are convinced otherwise. It's real easy to look up at the score board after a game and start to point fingers and deservedly so but there's a lot going on with this rebuild and there's a ton of reasons why we are at, where we are at. Coach deserves some criticism but deciding that he's a joke already is really premature. If the pitchfork crowd would have had there way with Bobby Ross, we would be down one national championship.

Old-Fashioned UGA Hater

Varsity Lurker
Is he really though? Last year's class was definitely good, with 3 great freshman-starter players in Gibbs, Sims, and Williams. But this year's class seems pretty lackluster right now. Where is the DL and LB talent we desperately need?

Right now we're ranked 39th in the country and 10th in the ACC by 24/7. That might be higher than Paul Johnson's typical recruiting ranking but it's not an apples to apples comparison, since the type of players recruited for his offensive system may just rank lower. Paul Johnson defensive recruits vs. Geoff Collins defensive recruits would be apples to apples, and I think Collins might be worse there so far.
Well rivals has us 27th right now and this is in a covid year where our hands are tied and some of our recruiting advantages are nullified. And please put down the crack pipe when comparing classes so far. So Collins defensive recruits so far are worse than CPJ's? Seriously?

GTLiebs

Dodd-Like
Well rivals has us 27th right now and this is in a covid year where our hands are tied and some of our recruiting advantages are nullified. And please put down the crack pipe when comparing classes so far. So Collins defensive recruits so far are worse than CPJ's? Seriously?
covid is probably going to make most rankings be extra pointless and subjective than usual. Is high school football even going on?

RussianOffense

НЕТ ВОЙНЕ
I looked at the 24/7 recruiting ratings for defensive recruits in 2017, 2018, 2020, 2021. (2019 excluded because it was a coaching transition class.)

2017:
..Min. 1st Qu. Median Mean 3rd Qu. Max.
0.8182 0.8327 0.8503 0.8526 0.8666 0.9182

2018:
0.8000 0.8310 0.8460 0.8457 0.8681 0.8973

2020:
0.8336 0.8602 0.8651 0.8695 0.8807 0.9086

2021:
0.8074 0.8584 0.8662 0.8570 0.8690 0.8702

Comparing means, the 2020 class was clearly better than both CPJ's classes. 2021, so far, is only a little better.

* I assigned Curtis Ryans a 0.8 because he was unranked. I'm not sure what unranked corresponds to but for comparison purposes 0 would not make sense. His 0.8 is the lowest value.

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
Do you realize coach had zero to do with the roster he was running out there last year? That's cool though. It will befun reminding you of your hatred for coach Collins when we turn this one around. You'll be easy to remember because you're the only dork in the history of stingtalk to use a signature.
I understand the situation we’re in quite well, thanks. I wish nothing but success for CGC - I shook his hand and wished him well in the Tech bar before the Minnesota game, and I’m hopeful that he can bring his vision to fruition.

It’s funny that you can’t see anything between a Pollyanna attitude and “hatred,” and that you can’t acknowledge some of the objectively and statistically worst losses in the history of the program. We just had our worst defensive performance since 1903 when we didn’t have a coach and John ööööing Heisman was coaching Clemson 117 years ago, and that’s not even our most embarassing performance this year. Nobody’s saying to fire the guy, but it does give you pause as to the effectiveness of the coaching. And we’re on a football message board - what else are we gonna talk about?

Oh, and I’m glad my “signature” gives you so much ass pain. Been signing messages on the internet like that for like 30 years, no reason to stop now. Here it is again, don’t have a stroke. :-)

JRjr

jts1207

Memes posted are not fact checked for accuracy
I looked at the 24/7 recruiting ratings for defensive recruits in 2017, 2018, 2020, 2021. (2019 excluded because it was a coaching transition class.)

2017:
0.8182 0.8327 0.8503 0.8526 0.8666 0.9182

2018:
0.8000 0.8310 0.8460 0.8457 0.8681 0.8973

2020:
0.8336 0.8602 0.8651 0.8695 0.8807 0.9086

2021:
0.8074 0.8584 0.8662 0.8570 0.8690 0.8702

Comparing means, the 2020 class was clearly better than both CPJ's classes. 2021, so far, is only a little better.

* I assigned Curtis Ryans a 0.8 because he was unranked. I'm not sure what unranked corresponds to but for comparison purposes 0 would not make sense. His 0.8 is the lowest value.

Are you arguing against yourself now

goldmember

Damn Good Rat
Are you calling for CGC's firing? If not, why post stuff like this over and over and over?
This has nothing to do with Collins really but I think Johnson's first year was one of the more impressive coaching jobs that I've ever seen. There were some nice pieces for sure but converting Gailey's pro style offense to the spread option in 1 year and having the success that we had was amazing. Why GT fans would want to disparage it years later I have no idea. We had a converted full back playing one of the A back positions and beat one of the most talented teams in UGA history, which is saying something.

RussianOffense

НЕТ ВОЙНЕ
Are you arguing against yourself now
Yes and no. I guess it does look like Collins is recruiting better but it doesn't seem like a huge difference. The numbers support what I said about 2021 being a lackluster class. Our top defensive recruit is only a 0.87, lower than all 3 other years I looked at. But the class isn't through.

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
We didn't lose to Southern but it makes my point. The Gardener Webb game was mentioned as we won in excruciating fashion. We needed a last second 4th down play to beat Georgia Southern. These games along with others like the MTSU game were played by a program in it's heyday but a first year coach with none of his players lose to the Citadel and it's the worse loss in the history of time?
Losing to the Citadel is objectively worse than beating Georgia Southern and Gardner Webb. But it’s not the worst loss in the history of time, and if it was an outlier, it would hardly be worth bringing up, in the same way I don’t think MTSU or Gardner Webb are worth bringing up. Sometimes weird stuff happens.

But it’s not an outlier. Going from memory, please pardon me if I get some specifics wrong.
  • First FCS loss in 40 years?
  • First home shutout in 60 years?
  • Worst margin of defeat against U[sic]GA in the history of the series?
  • Largest conference loss in ACC history?
  • Most points surrendered in 117 years?
  • Scoring 2 (two) points against Temple?
  • Getting boat raced by a dismal Syracuse team that lost badly to Liberty?
  • Surrendering more rushing yards and points to BC than in any 4 of their previous 5 games combined?
We’re young, we’re getting better offensively, recruiting is on the upswing, we have a coach and a staff that’s passionate about GT and has a vision for what we can be here. That’s great, and I hope it comes to pass. But right now we’re building a resume of bad losses that should be a little concerning to anybody who’s paying attention.

JRjr

cbee

Flats Noob
This has nothing to do with Collins really but I think Johnson's first year was one of the more impressive coaching jobs that I've ever seen. There were some nice pieces for sure but converting Gailey's pro style offense to the spread option in 1 year and having the success that we had was amazing. Why GT fans would want to disparage it years later I have no idea. We had a converted full back playing one of the A back positions and beat one of the most talented teams in UGA history, which is saying something.
What makes it more impressive is the performance in the spring game that year. Not sure how many remember but I left there thinking we'd be lucky to win 3 games in that first year.

jts1207

Memes posted are not fact checked for accuracy
Losing to the Citadel is objectively worse than beating Georgia Southern and Gardner Webb. But it’s not the worst loss in the history of time, and if it was an outlier, it would hardly be worth bringing up, in the same way I don’t think MTSU or Gardner Webb are worth bringing up. Sometimes weird stuff happens.

But it’s not an outlier. Going from memory, please pardon me if I get some specifics wrong.
  • Surrendering more rushing yards and points to BC than in any 4 of their previous 5 games combined?
We’re young, we’re getting better offensively, recruiting is on the upswing, we have a coach and a staff that’s passionate about GT and has a vision for what we can be here. That’s great, and I hope it comes to pass. But right now we’re building a resume of bad losses that should be a little concerning to anybody who’s paying attention.

JRjr
For the last time..... Liberty is not a bad football team

OptionsJacket

BpBuSp
Yes and no. I guess it does look like Collins is recruiting better but it doesn't seem like a huge difference. The numbers support what I said about 2021 being a lackluster class. Our top defensive recruit is only a 0.87, lower than all 3 other years I looked at. But the class isn't through.
It could be a huge difference, we still have no idea how his first class will turn out. Maybe we see guys like Meiguez, Green, Johnson, or anyone else become star players but they needed a year of developmental work first.

BuzzLaw

StinGTalk destroyer
What makes it more impressive is the performance in the spring game that year. Not sure how many remember but I left there thinking we'd be lucky to win 3 games in that first year.
The spring game was hilarious. We had absolutely no clue. I walked away thinking the same thing, and thinking we’d set a record for consecutive plays with a fumble.

Old-Fashioned UGA Hater

Varsity Lurker

JRjr
Yeah I get all of your points. Where we disagree greatly is I don't blame CGC 100% for it. Is he to blame for some of it? Damn right he his. But I put just as much of the blame on the terrible situation he has had to work through. We've never in the history of Tech football been projected to have such an awful year as the last and it pretty much happened and people act surprised.

ThisIsAtlanta

Break In Case Of Emergency
Staff member
Do you realize coach had zero to do with the roster he was running out there last year? That's cool though. It will befun reminding you of your hatred for coach Collins when we turn this one around. You'll be easy to remember because you're the only dork in the history of stingtalk to use a signature.
Sig worthy

ThisIsAtlanta

Break In Case Of Emergency
Staff member
Hugh Freeze is in what year at Liberty again? What are their 5 year recruiting rankings again?

He sure seems to be a good coach.