Geoff Collins is a Joke

CGC HC and CPJ OC would still have been the most optimal situation for the school IMO. I think we'd be up at 7+ wins this year and an optimal trajectory for the future.

PJ would have bit on a respectable contract as assistant if you let him do what he loved on offense.

CGC HC and CPJ OC would still have been the most optimal situation for the school IMO. I think we'd be up at 7+ wins this year and an optimal trajectory for the future.

I think PJ would have bit on a respectable contract as assistant if you let him do what he loved on offense.

lol what? 7win with what talent and what OL? An OL of Quinney, Harrison Jump, Zack Mckeehan, injury proned Kenny Cooper, & Minihan? I don’t know what research lab some of y’all Techies been around but wherever it is, it has some drugs in there

We’re struggling as expected, maybe in ways we didn’t expect, but not shocking overall. We’ll have a good idea where we stand in 2022. Until then expect a mixed bag. I make cynical comments joking around, but overall just taking it in.
However, this still bugs me: HC with limited big time HC experience who swears his dream job is GT and gets 7 years, guaranteed $22M, vs typical 5 or 6 max? Yeah it’s a big project. Include an automatic extension for x wins. We want decent progress year 4, no? Why not set expectations with the contract? If we still suck years 4&5 we should be able to move on without repeating something like our recent basketball coach history.
Anyway, water under the bridge, back to patiently waiting and watching.

lol what? 7win with what talent and what OL? An OL of Quinney, Harrison Jump, Zack Mckeehan, injury proned Kenny Cooper, & Minihan? I don’t know what research lab some of y’all Techies been around but wherever it is, it has some drugs in there
they wouldn't be asked to be in two point stances at tackle. they would be asked to do much different things, like getting to the second level of the defense. besides, that line also might include J Lee and Connor Hansen still. I also know of at least one lineman who would have been steered to Tech by his HS coach had PJ not retired and even his HS coach said he was perfect for the offense - 6-3, 280, smart in the classroom and nasty on the field.

PJ would have bit on a respectable contract as assistant if you let him do what he loved on offense.

This is insane. CPJ would never do that and CGC wouldn't recruit under the albatross of the option. Changing the offense is a massive part of the job description for anyone TStan was going to hire.

This is insane. CPJ would never do that and CGC wouldn't recruit under the albatross of the option. Changing the offense is a massive part of the job description for anyone TStan was going to hire.
Just FYI - I went to every Hawai'i home game in the 1992 season when CPJ was OC for the Rainbows. They didn't run the Triple option but their offense was literally unstoppable. Hawai'i waxed BYU and Illinois that year - 10 win season. I don't think it matters whether CPJ runs the TO or not - he would make a spectacular OC.

Just FYI - I went to every Hawai'i home game in the 1992 season when CPJ was OC for the Rainbows. They didn't run the Triple option but their offense was literally unstoppable. Hawai'i waxed BYU and Illinois that year - 10 win season. I don't think it matters whether CPJ runs the TO or not - he would make a spectacular OC.

Sure but that was a ways back. Kinda like all these folks thinking Friedgen could just come in here and pick up where he left off after a couple of decades. I respect that there is other stuff CPJ can do, but the fact remains that he ain’t working under anybody at this point, least of all Geoff Collins. Lol

they wouldn't be asked to be in two point stances at tackle. they would be asked to do much different things, like getting to the second level of the defense. besides, that line also might include J Lee and Connor Hansen still. I also know of at least one lineman who would have been steered to Tech by his HS coach had PJ not retired and even his HS coach said he was perfect for the offense - 6-3, 280, smart in the classroom and nasty on the field.

where did this 6-3 280 nasty OL end up?

You say it's insane until you sit down and look at the logistics. CPJ was obviously tired of running the entire show but that man eats and sleeps offense. You make these claims but forget that all these guys have their price and if you give them the money plus the environment to work it out, you might be surprised to see what could happen. But you are right, TStan only had one route to go and that's because he like many of the boosters aren't that visionary.

Think NBA superteam on a coaching level. It requires some sacrifice and compromise but If it didn't work they wouldn't be doing it. Collaboration is the name of the game these days.

I loved Coach Johnson but he had 11 years to add wrinkles and the promise his offense had with the A-Back positions. He never did. In fact he actually scaled back his offense to the point it was a QB keep offense under Taquon. I still believe at some point a coach will take the principals of the 2 A-Back set and use the dual threat part to great heights. We at GT never saw the full capability of the A-Backs in the passing game. Johnson by the end had the A-Backs used as runners only with no threat in the passing game.

Some of the best ideas are a result of micro-dosing. I'm not sure what you're watching but it seems the issue with the OL is still pass blocking. Everyone knows the run has to be established and with talent like gibbs it doesn't take much run block to get him down field which in turn opens up the easy throws that Sims can make.

Nobody is debating that we didn't need a talent upgrade and CGC can do that. It's my thoughts that if CPJ was running the O we would be in a good position now and a great position for the future. If you're banking on Paternude I dunno what to say except that Johnson is better.

Unfortunately it's all a pipedream regardless.

Some of the best ideas are a result of micro-dosing. I'm not sure what you're watching but it seems the issue with the OL is still pass blocking. Everyone knows the run has to be established and with talent like gibbs it doesn't take much run block to get him down field which in turn opens up the easy throws that Sims can make.

Nobody is debating that we didn't need a talent upgrade and CGC can do that. It's my thoughts that if CPJ was running the O we would be in a good position now and a great position for the future. If you're banking on Paternude I dunno what to say except that Johnson is better.

Unfortunately it's all a pipedream regardless.

Neither Gibbs nor Sims would not be here if CPJ were the OC. The scheme *was* the impediment to recruiting. You gotta be trolling.

Neither Gibbs nor Sims would not be here if CPJ were the OC. The scheme *was* the impediment to recruiting.

Without a time traveling DeLorean, you can't prove that. If you do have one then quit replying to this thread and PM me the close of the Dow Jones tomorrow and we'll discuss something we can change.

Without a time traveling DeLorean, you can't prove that. If you do have one then quit replying to this thread and PM me the close of the Dow Jones tomorrow and we'll discuss something we can change.
You have to be trolling. Absolutely NO WAY would Sims or Gibbs be here if CPJ were HC.

You are going to lose all credibility with such a statement. There is zero chance either Sims or Gibbs would be here under the PJ regime.

Where would they be? You can't tell me where any better than you can tell me they wouldn't be here. If CGC had been recruiting them still, there is just as much chance they would be here. It is about relationships. You can't sell NFL to every player who goes to college. If all our kids are buying that then they're not smart enough to be at Tech.

Back