Geoff Collins is a Joke

What makes it more impressive is the performance in the spring game that year. Not sure how many remember but I left there thinking we'd be lucky to win 3 games in that first year.

yep, FUMBLES everywhere --10?

if we have a FR LB that CAN play,we need him NOW!!! Not only do we need him but he doesn't lose any eligibility.Of concern to me.--maybe they aren't so wonderful as advertized.

if we have a FR LB that CAN play,we need him NOW!!! Not only do we need him but he doesn't lose any eligibility.Of concern to me.--maybe they aren't so wonderful as advertized.

Unrealistic expectations. They may be able to play and play well, but need development first. You see it all the time in college football

couple of notes on that 2014 Ga Southern game...
JT's TD pass to Deon Hill was on third down. Tech did not face a fourth down on that drive. Now, was that a fumble on the play that gave Tech the ball back for that drive? Not if you ask Southern fans.
Southern went 9-3 that year - their first in FBS - and undefeated in the Sun Belt.
Their other losses? by 1 to NC State in Raleigh and a beatdown in Annapolis.

and now, back to our regularly scheduled bitching...

Cornelius Evans just entered the transfer portal.

Sorry I started this thread. I was drunk and tired and a little angry and my wife’s boyfriend was making fun of me.

Anyway, let’s go jackets!
1604149217888.gif

Yeah I get all of your points. Where we disagree greatly is I don't blame CGC 100% for it. Is he to blame for some of it? Damn right he his. But I put just as much of the blame on the terrible situation he has had to work through. We've never in the history of Tech football been projected to have such an awful year as the last and it pretty much happened and people act surprised.
We were projected to go 3-9 and finish dead last in the ACC in Year 1 of CPJ. People said winning 10 games combined over the first 2 years was going to be impossible. We won 9 games in Year 1 and 20 games over 2 years.

I’m not saying the situations are identical, but at the time we thought they were. Point is, GT football has been about exceeding expectations for basically my entire life, with only a few negative blips on the radar. It’s weird to see that we’re every bit as bad, if not worse, than the media thought we’d be.

We were projected to go 3-9 and finish dead last in the ACC in Year 1 of CPJ. People said winning 10 games combined over the first 2 years was going to be impossible. We won 9 games in Year 1 and 20 games over 2 years.

I’m not saying the situations are identical, but at the time we thought they were. Point is, GT football has been about exceeding expectations for basically my entire life, with only a few negative blips on the radar. It’s weird to see that we’re every bit as bad, if not worse, than the media thought we’d be.
Yeah I would agree that CPJ"s best year was his first and that team had zero of "his" players. It was his best defense and he had the most players that would eventually be drafted. Plus switching to the 3O is nothing in comparison to switching to a pro style. You have undersized players and positions to fill by bringing in transfers. Not to say i wasn't impressed by the coach. I was actually blown away as most tech fans were but comparing the two situations is night and day.

Yeah I would agree that CPJ"s best year was his first and that team had zero of "his" players. It was his best defense and he had the most players that would eventually be drafted. Plus switching to the 3O is nothing in comparison to switching to a pro style. You have undersized players and positions to fill by bringing in transfers. Not to say i wasn't impressed by the coach. I was actually blown away as most tech fans were but comparing the two situations is night and day.

We benefited a lot from other teams not really being all that prepared for the 3O. Whether they just didn't expect it to be difficult or bought into the predictions saying we suck idk, but teams adapted A LOT after that first season or two. Also don't think it's unfair to say that CPJ with Monken and Bohannon was a better X's & O's, teaching the system staff than CPC's staff. That wasn't really the goal with the CPC hiring. Maybe the transition wouldn't be as bad if we could find (and hire) the Paul Johnson of the spread offense or pro offense or w/e.

Back