Geoff Collins is a Joke

So you are saying only people who played P5 football have an opinion that matters? We are at a talent deficit.... everyone knows that. Speaking of ball bouncing..... the late holding on the Gibbs TD that turned into a 14 point swing didn't matter I guess
Where did I put a P5 qualifier on it? Apparently your comprehension knowledge is right there with your football knowledge.

Will you stop with the wins and losses crap like you know what you're talking about?. If you had ever played the game you would see what a lot of people are saying. It's not specifically the wins and losses at this point, it is the EFFORT, it is the FUNDAMENTALS, it is ASSIGNMENTS. THAT is football. I can take losing IF the team is giving it their all and playing sound football. Sometimes you win with Jimmys and Joes and sometimes you win simply because the ball bounces your way. But to be in that position, you have to play sound fundamental football. And right now we are NOT! That falls on one person, Collins.
You’re wasting your breath. You’re 100% correct, but he’s ignored this point repeatedly in this thread and others, choosing to attack straw men instead.

You’re wasting your breath. You’re 100% correct, but he’s ignored this point repeatedly in this thread and others, choosing to attack straw men instead.

Some of you guys crack me up. Year 1.5 of football and CGC must go....5 years of öööö CJP basketball and he still needs time lol

I dunno if anyone really plays defense in the AAC, but they did get some guys drafted, unlike us. They weren't really there long enough to draw solid conclusions. Our upperclassmen are on their third defensive scheme and it shows. Honestly, I think we are going to need some coaching continuity before we know what we have, which means more short term pain.

Yep, but also, it's defense. It's not all that hard to understand the scheme. Thacker is getting outclassed in both gameplan and tendencies. It doesn't help that our DTs are hurt. But the position he coaches, they suck the most. Close tie with the DBs though...

Except clearly we weren't punting it, so we were basically running a pass play with our punter instead of our QB.

In fairness, I hear that worked great for Clemson.
And he still threw a pretty decent pass. Plus, I guarantee they did change some personnel out for the play.

Some of you guys crack me up. Year 1.5 of football and CGC must go....5 years of öööö CJP basketball and he still needs time lol
Maybe I missed something, but I didn’t see him suggest anything at all about CGC going. I certainly haven’t. But you’re acting like he should be immune from criticism because it’s only his 2nd year.

And you still haven’t responded to people saying it isn’t about wins and losses. I expected 4-5 wins this season, and have actually been pleasantly surprised with our young talent that has won us a couple of games. But at the same time, our losses aren’t just losses. We’re self-sabotaging and look like a bunch of idiots out there at times. Play calling is mediocre at best, and we’re losing to teams with even less talent than us. We thought last year was a fluke, but here we are again, still setting records in futility. We give teams multiple TDS per game for free, and the players are quitting on the team left and right. From the perspective of a coach, I can tell you firsthand that all the rah rah stuff is great it gets old fast if you can’t back it up.

Right now CGC looks like Butch Jones lite. He’s Dabo the Clown, as everyone here loved to call him, only without the talent or the high-level assistant coaching. Dabo fired coordinators on both sides of the ball or he probably would have lost his job. He also brought in not just good, but elite talent. If Collins is gonna make it at Tech, that’s what’s gonna have to happen. We’ll continue having this conversation for 2 more years, but by 2022 the excuses will have run out. I hope he makes us forget all about Johnson and O’Leary, but it’s not looking good so far.

Maybe I missed something, but I didn’t see him suggest anything at all about CGC going. I certainly haven’t. But you’re acting like he should be immune from criticism because it’s only his 2nd year.

And you still haven’t responded to people saying it isn’t about wins and losses. I expected 4-5 wins this season, and have actually been pleasantly surprised with our young talent that has won us a couple of games. But at the same time, our losses aren’t just losses. We’re self-sabotaging and look like a bunch of idiots out there at times. Play calling is mediocre at best, and we’re losing to teams with even less talent than us. We thought last year was a fluke, but here we are again, still setting records in futility. We give teams multiple TDS per game for free, and the players are quitting on the team left and right. From the perspective of a coach, I can tell you firsthand that all the rah rah stuff is great it gets old fast if you can’t back it up.

Right now CGC looks like Butch Jones lite. He’s Dabo the Clown, as everyone here loved to call him, only without the talent or the high-level assistant coaching. Dabo fired coordinators on both sides of the ball or he probably would have lost his job. He also brought in not just good, but elite talent. If Collins is gonna make it at Tech, that’s what’s gonna have to happen. We’ll continue having this conversation for 2 more years, but by 2022 the excuses will have run out. I hope he makes us forget all about Johnson and O’Leary, but it’s not looking good so far.

I love the whole it's not about wins and losses crap. Butch Jones or PJ Fleck? There were always going to be growing pains and that includes bad losses. 2-4 was best case scenario after 6 bad losses and all.

I love the whole it's not about wins and losses crap. Butch Jones or PJ Fleck? There were always going to be growing pains and that includes bad losses. 2-4 was best case scenario after 6 bad losses and all.
Tennessee hasn't looked good since Fat Phil left. Has nothing to do with the coaches installed. It is the culture of believing you are Alabama and will not accept your program needs built from the ground up.

Tennessee hasn't looked good since Fat Phil left. Has nothing to do with the coaches installed. It is the culture of believing you are Alabama and will not accept your program needs built from the ground up.

Yep. New coach with loads of recruits not doing anything either

Some of you guys crack me up. Year 1.5 of football and CGC must go.
So our defense the last few years wasn't the Triple Option Defense. It was a defense designed to stop teams who didn't run the TO. So wtf happened? Our defense is arguably the worst defense in the nation right now and it doesn't have a damn thing to do with Paul ööööing Johnson. It has everything to do with Geoff Collins and some dude named Thacker neither of whom can mount even a semblance of a defense. Boston College had our D figured out before the game even started.

Quit using the transition as an excuse. Our offense has managed the transition magnificently. Our defense, supposedly our HC's strong suit, has been the most unsuccessful transition in the history of college football.

So our defense the last few years wasn't the Triple Option Defense. It was a defense designed to stop teams who didn't run the TO. So wtf happened? Our defense is arguably the worst defense in the nation right now and it doesn't have a damn thing to do with Paul ööööing Johnson. It has everything to do with Geoff Collins and some dude named Thacker neither of whom can mount even a semblance of a defense. Boston College had our D figured out before the game even started.

Quit using the transition as an excuse. Our offense has managed the transition magnificently. Our defense, supposedly our HC's strong suit, has been the most unsuccessful transition in the history of college football.

I mean, it has a bit to do with Johnson. It's not like the defenses before were all that much better than now.

Is our defensive worsening so far since Johnson attributable to further loss of DL? Johnson at least had 1 great DL every once in a while: Gotsis, Attaochu, etc. We could do for some LB talent too. Having another PJ Davis or Julian Burnett would be nice.

Yes, they had it figured out. Run right up the gut. Outmanned DT's and MLB

Looking at our recruiting, and all this hubbub over Collins and his roster management, we have three sophomores or younger at tight end right now.
Through six games, our tight ends collectively have six receptions. They had 25 combined for the entire 2019 season. So it's not like they are a big part of the game plan, aside from blocking or being decoys.
And we have three tight end commits in the class of 2021. That would give us six tight ends to start the 2021 season, all junior or younger. We don't run a lot, or really any, two tight end sets.
So why do we need all these tight end commits? Can those scholarships be directed toward positions of greater need?

Like 3 of the games we had no real TEs available so should throw those out from whatever analysis you’re trying to do.

I think we will know for sure whether or not CGC is a clown by the end of the'22 season. If we finish with 8+ wins and go bowling, that should satisfy us that we are headed in the right direction. However, a historically bad loss against Clempson followed by a beat down against a very average BC team really raises some serious questions. Yes, we are young, but we are certainly more talented than BC. I live a 5 min walk from BC and, trust me, nobody gives a sh!t about college football up here and BC has ho-hum talent.

Back