Geoff: Through Game 1

ScionOfSouthland

Dodd-Like
Give it 3 or 4 top-25 classes and then we can start talking about competing with Clemson regularly. Ever since Dabo figured out how to run a system program several years ago we haven’t touched him. Remember how everyone used to call CPJ’s scheme a talent equalizer? Well, now we need to get the talent that can play at an elite level instead of relying on a one dimensional scheme to do the heavy lifting. That is going to take time. Some of you guys are going to have to accept that the money that got donated to get CGC and his staff got donated with a long runway. He has to build a modern program from scratch - little infrastructure in place, no brand that sells itself, no history of continued success in the modern era. 4 years is the window for competitiveness. Competing with the likes of Clemson may take even longer. He’s going to have to prove he can win so he can get more money and build a larger system infrastructure. This stuff doesn’t happen overnight.

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
I’m not worried in the slightest on offense. We are going to improve. Some of it is just executing plays, like the sack loss of 11 early in the game. Both backs went to block leaving TO holding the ball out in space. TO was able to avoid going down, but didn’t have the experience to chuck the ball out of bounds.

Those plays aren’t going to keep happening.

And I expect the play calling to improve or a oc change will happen. Money is flowing into the program again. CGC seems to be pretty good at recruiting donors as well as players.

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
Give it 3 or 4 top-25 classes and then we can start talking about competing with Clemson regularly. Ever since Dabo figured out how to run a system program several years ago we haven’t touched him. Remember how everyone used to call CPJ’s scheme a talent equalizer? Well, now we need to get the talent that can play at an elite level instead of relying on a one dimensional scheme to do the heavy lifting. That is going to take time. Some of you guys are going to have to accept that the money that got donated to get CGC and his staff got donated with a long runway. He has to build a modern program from scratch - little infrastructure in place, no brand that sells itself, no history of continued success in the modern era. 4 years is the window for competitiveness. Competing with the likes of Clemson may take even longer. He’s going to have to prove he can win so he can get more money and build a larger system infrastructure. This stuff doesn’t happen overnight.
He didn’t take over a dead program. He took over a program the had 1 losing conference record in 20 years. We will have growing pains, but we are a bowl team talent wise. If we miss it this year, it shouldn’t be by much.

If CGC is the real deal we should be able to give Clemson a scare within 3 years. Our program is in much better shape that Syracuse was 3 years ago.

ScionOfSouthland

Dodd-Like
He didn’t take over a dead program. He took over a program the had 1 losing conference record in 20 years. We will have growing pains, but we are a bowl team talent wise. If we miss it this year, it shouldn’t be by much.

If CGC is the real deal we should be able to give Clemson a scare within 3 years. Our program is in much better shape that Syracuse was 3 years ago.
Scheme vs talent is the argument being made about the difference between middling and elite competition. Talent takes scheme + system

NotTomNotPhilButGCollins

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd

The College game is morphing ever so close to the NFL Game

Talent wise wrt to future NFL players, CGC did take over a dead program

Final standings in the ACC Coastal isn't the only barometer to use

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like

I do think we can win 6 or 7 this year. We looked better at times vs Clemson by the eyeball test than the score indicated and nobody is too scary in the Coastal. But, when you are completely changing the formula of how you try to win games, there is going to be some pain in the near term and comparisons to the recent past don't carry a lot of weight. We'll learn a good bit from the USF and Temple games about how much progress we made in one offseason.

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
The College game is morphing ever so close to the NFL Game

Talent wise wrt to future NFL players, CGC did take over a dead program

Final standings in the ACC Coastal isn't the only barometer to use
Coastal standings is a good barometer because they are all P5 teams and everyone plays on a somewhat even footing. Except we faced a playoff team every year, while the rest of the division didn’t.

Talent wise, we aren’t worse than Cuse 3 years ago.

I’ll bet CGC gets more of CPJ’s players drafted over the next 3 years than CPJ got drafted the 4 years before that. We are going to have guys playing in a more complementary system on O, a better scheme on D that will lend itself to highlights, and a S&C coach who knows how to make football players.

Shoot look at the article on our punter. CGC is better at preparing guys for the nfl.

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
I do think we can win 6 or 7 this year. We looked better at times vs Clemson by the eyeball test than the score indicated and nobody is too scary in the Coastal. But, when you are completely changing the formula of how you try to win games, there is going to be some pain in the near term and comparisons to the recent past don't carry a lot of weight. We'll learn a good bit from the USF and Temple games about how much progress we made in one offseason.
I think we are a 5-7 win team this year. 7 coming only if we get very lucky. Picking off 2 for out off conference, 3 from the coastal is a pretty low bar. 3 ooc and 4 from the remaining acc is achievable based on how we looked against Clemson.

yellowbritchies

Flats Noob
You should pump the brakes on your idea of "reality."

He inherited Baybay Thomas, Andrew Gardner, Josh Nesbitt, Roddy Jones, Jonathan Dwyer, Derrick Morgan, Michael Johnson, Darryl Richard, Vance Walker, Morgan Burnett, and Mario Butler. That's only a few of the names.

That team did as well as it did despite scheme, not because of it. Many of the above players did become pros, but others failed to develop into pros because of your beloved scheme, not because of limited native ability.

It's okay to like the former coach. It is not okay to let it blind you.
You are correct, and remember most of those players had more time left on their eligibility but all left for the NFL cause they knew the TO was not going to be theit ticket to the big show.

GEETEELEE

We suck this much.
Another point; CU would have done the same thing to half of the D1 teams out there and several of the top 25 in the first game of the season. I’m disappointed it was as ugly as it was, but I don’t see anything to criticize CGC over. To a man we were outmatched.

Now if I see muffed punts and pathetic passes after he’s have the whole season to correct such issues I’m going to be unhappy and concerned. Not that I think we’ll beat UGag but I expect to see much better play.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
I’m still trying to figure why everyone using the Clemson game as the litmus test of what this season/team will be.
Probably the same reason so many posters have to talk about how every player on the current roster is a horrible no talent hack that will have to be replaced before we can ever compete on the field.

JoeCakeEater

Dodd-Like
Everyone got excited whenever we beat these I-AA teams by 50 in week 1 under CPJ. Then we faced actual competition and realized we were a 6-6 squad. Well...from a talent perspective we are that I-AA team relative to Clemson. We really won’t know what we have until we make it to the Coastal schedule, which is a much better barometer than Clemson or Citadel.

KrazieJacket

Dodd-Like
Everyone got excited whenever we beat these I-AA teams by 50 in week 1 under CPJ. Then we faced actual competition and realized we were a 6-6 squad. Well...from a talent perspective we are that I-AA team relative to Clemson. We really won’t know what we have until we make it to the Coastal schedule, which is a much better barometer than Clemson or Citadel.
The key here is now every one of these players are GT players and Coach Collins players. Lots of time in a turnover there are players that don’t buy in. I feel from what I saw Thursday is a team that bought in to Coach Collins. I will not as a GT fan push my blame to him during this transition as these players were recruited by another coach. Make no mistake though, I do feel these players now see themselves as Coach Collins players. In that he has already done something special. We need to love them and pull for them. BTW Coach Collins supposedly waited for the players to leave the field and hugged them walking off the field. I don’t know if he will ever be a great football coach for us but he has my respect and I will both believe in and respect him.

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
I’m still trying to figure why everyone using the Clemson game as the litmus test of what this season/team will be.
Every game tells you something.

Clemson:
ST:
We still don’t have a kicker.

D:
We are going to be aggressive.
DL still does not have a pass rusher and we will need to use our safeties or corners to get quick pressure.
Swilling needs more sons.

O:
Dumb mistakes in the transition. -expected
WRs routes were not sharp. Also poor body positioning.
WRs not as fast as Clemson. -expected
OL did a decent job on the edges, but needs work pass blocking up the middle.

Mason looked good running out of the gun. He knows how to read gaps and wait on blocking. Other backs, not so much.

QBs
TO overthrew some open guys.
TO can run and read the optioned defender.

Johnson- not enough data

Graham - good touch on the deep balls. Good runner.

daBuzz

Dodd-Like
That is a common theme on this board; but reality is that Paul Johnson inherited a team that got blasted by LSU in year 1 and blasted again in year 2 by Iowa because the scheme wasn't enough to get past the talent deficit. Sure, CPJ inherited DThomas who was great; but reality is that JfN and Dwyer were not NFL caliber talent and benefited greatly by the scheme and how CPJ used them. While CGC's team got smashed last night in the debut, there is more talent on this team than this board is ready to admit; but I think it will be revealed as the season moves along hopefully starting next week.
Wait, what?
CPJ inherited Baybay, Derrick Morgan, Morgan Burnett, Michael Johnson, Jonathan Dwyer, Josh Nesbit, Roddy Jones, Daryl Richard, Vance Walker, Cord Howard, Mario Edwards and Cooper Taylor. That’s a whole hell of a lot more talent than this current roster and those are just the ones I could think of.

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
The key here is now every one of these players are GT players and Coach Collins players. Lots of time in a turnover there are players that don’t buy in. I feel from what I saw Thursday is a team that bought in to Coach Collins. I will not as a GT fan push my blame to him during this transition as these players were recruited by another coach. Make no mistake though, I do feel these players now see themselves as Coach Collins players. In that he has already done something special. We need to love them and pull for them. BTW Coach Collins supposedly waited for the players to leave the field and hugged them walking off the field. I don’t know if he will ever be a great football coach for us but he has my respect and I will both believe in and respect him.
Probably a repost...