George Pickens

True story. Yesterday I was getting gas at QT near Fayetteville, and wearing a GT hat. Guy comes walking out of the store wearing a high visibility construction vest walking to a construction company truck a couple of pumps away. Guy stares at me for a sec, then raises his fist and yells “Go Dawgs!”

I just shook my head in bemusement. It’s such a weird impulse at a random gas station in March.

JRjr
I hope you were pumping gas into an expensive Tesla Model S

I was behind Christian Laettner at the QT on Spring Road near Cumberland Mall once. I didn't say anything

I was behind Christian Laettner at the QT on Spring Road near Cumberland Mall once. I didn't say anything
I met the Braves' Mike Stanton at Cumberland Mall when I was 6. He was sitting in a convertible outside one of the entrances and once I told my mom who he was, she sent me back over with a piece of paper and a pen to ask for his autograph. He sighed and rolled his eyes at me before signing it and handing it back without saying anything. I had to try very hard not to cry until I got back in our car.

I met the Braves' Mike Stanton at Cumberland Mall when I was 6. He was sitting in a convertible outside one of the entrances and once I told my mom who he was, she sent me back over with a piece of paper and a pen to ask for his autograph. He sighed and rolled his eyes at me before signing it and handing it back without saying anything. I had to try very hard not to cry until I got back in our car.
Almost the same exact thing happened to me when I saw Tree Rollins at Cumberland near the stairs on one end of the mall. I got a piece of paper and pen and went over and politely asked him for his autograph. He didn't really even acknowledge me and didn't look at me. Signed it quickly and handed it back. As I was walking back towards my dad, I threw the autograph in the trash bin. Dad asked me why I threw the autograph away and I said "he didn't want to sign that autograph. He just wanted me to go away".

Almost the same exact thing happened to me when I saw Tree Rollins at Cumberland near the stairs on one end of the mall. I got a piece of paper and pen and went over and politely asked him for his autograph. He didn't really even acknowledge me and didn't look at me. Signed it quickly and handed it back. As I was walking back towards my dad, I threw the autograph in the trash bin. Dad asked me why I threw the autograph away and I said "he didn't want to sign that autograph. He just wanted me to go away".
I probably should have trashed mine, but the Braves were gods to me so I kept it. I felt sad every time I looked at it. I still have it somewhere in boxes of my childhood stuff.

I probably should have trashed mine, but the Braves were gods to me so I kept it. I felt sad every time I looked at it. I still have it somewhere in boxes of my childhood stuff.
Pretty much why I threw it away. I wish it had been Eddie Johnson and he would have taken me on a high speed ride in the stolen Porsche. For those that don't remember, Eddie Johnson, Hawks guard, test drove a new Porsche, and just decided not to take it back.

Pretty much why I threw it away. I wish it had been Eddie Johnson and he would have taken me on a high speed ride in the stolen Porsche. For those that don't remember, Eddie Johnson, Hawks guard, test drove a new Porsche, and just decided not to take it back.
I wish mine had been Lonnie Smith in that parking lot. He'd have either gotten me high or shot me, either would have better than Mike Stanton, of all players, being a jerk to a little kid.

True story. Yesterday I was getting gas at QT near Fayetteville, and wearing a GT hat. Guy comes walking out of the store wearing a high visibility construction vest walking to a construction company truck a couple of pumps away. Guy stares at me for a sec, then raises his fist and yells “Go Dawgs!”

I just shook my head in bemusement. It’s such a weird impulse at a random gas station in March.

JRjr
ehh, I might have said "to hell with ga" to random strangers too, not always on my best behavior

IMO, stuff like this makes a rivalry great, as long as there is no violence and neither side is troubled by the exchange. Any "go dawgs" gives me an opportunity to say THWG!

I was in line at the Moes on Peachtree in between the Peachtree Battle and Piedmont hospital when I saw TV’s David Chandley in line behind me. I said out loud so everyone could hear me, “Hey look it’s TV’s David Chandley.” Then I ordered a burrito.

Edit: It was a Willy’s

I seldom know what to say when I meet “famous people” (musicians, athletes, and folks like that that are famous to me if not to the general public), so I mostly avoid the interactions.

I got a GT jersey signed by Joe Ham after an arena football game, and he was cool.

JRjr

I was in line at the Moes on Peachtree in between the Peachtree Battle and Piedmont hospital when I saw TV’s David Chandley in line behind me. I said out loud so everyone could hear me, “Hey look it’s TV’s David Chandley.” Then I ordered a burrito.

Edit: It was a Willy’s
I would have offered to let him pay for my meal with weather anchor $$$. He at Fox 5 now?

I seldom know what to say when I meet “famous people” (musicians, athletes, and folks like that that are famous to me if not to the general public), so I mostly avoid the interactions.

I got a GT jersey signed by Joe Ham after an arena football game, and he was cool.

JRjr
I wanted this signed "laces out, Dan" and forgot.

IMG_20210325_105100.jpg

JRjr
I ran into him at the WaHo in Union City right after Steprules got beck from his 2nd tour in Iraq. It was a really rough deployment for him and he was having some problems handing it all. When Joe found out Steprules was in Iraq he made a huge deal of it, saying how much more important he was than a football player.

I'll never forget that. My son held his head a bit higher after that, and Joe made two fans even bigger fans.

One night when I was 19, I was alone in the center of a semi-circle of men built like linebackers, eye-level and ams-reach of the crotch of Fall Out Boy's bassist. It was really dark and no words were spoken, but there was lots of screaming.

I had a young black man with dreadlocks compliment me on my GT hat at a convenience store in Smyrna a few weeks ago. We got to talking and I found out he played football at GT. Now in sales for a liquor distributor. Extremely impressive young feller named BJ Bostic.
I wonder why anyone would Poo this post?

Back