Georgia State

Discussion in 'Football' started by Wreck Em, Mar 5, 2019.

1. gtphd

gtphd Georgia Polytechnic and State University

Loc:
    THWG
    Team:
    THWG
    :lol2: It's funny how people hear something counterintuitive and convince themselves that it's true. Did you know that you swallow 9 spiders in your sleep each year?

2. Vespid

Vespid Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Atl
    Team:
    GT
    Well, " they" spout off a lot, and most of it is "BS".

• Like Like x 1
  3. Skydog

Skydog Eat a Peach

Loc:
    Canton, Georgia
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Did you get to see Eddie Matthews play for the Crackers? My mom did ..and still talks about it.

4. gtg970g

gtg970g Flats Noob

Loc:
    Decatur, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Calc 2 didn't transfer since it is half linear algebra at GT. I opted to retake Calc2 instead of just taking linear algebra since the LA professor had a bad reputation.

5. 77GTFan

77GTFan Dodd-Like

Loc:
    North Carolina
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I am not old enough to have seen Eddie Mathews a Cracker, but I well remember seeing them as a boy as the Cardinals triple A team. My first baseball favorites to see in person were Tim McCarver and Mike Shannon. The old Ponce deLeon Park was cool. In addition to Crackers games I saw the circus and some city of Atlanta high school football games there.

• Like Like x 1
  6. beerbuzz

beerbuzz Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Augusta, GA
    Team:
    GA TECH
    Last year my son was accepted early by UGA and was offered the guaranteed transfer option by Tech -- he told Tech to öööö off. He was a little ticked by students at his school that Tech accepted. He knew they had worse grades and personalities similar to a rock. Got to learn to check "other"...

• Big Cry Big Cry x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. gtphd

Loc:
    THWG
    Team:
    THWG
    The thing about the "guaranteed transfer option" is that it's been Tech's policy for more than a decade. If you take certain classes, maintain a 3.0 GPA (higher for some majors), and earn 30 credit hours from an accredited university (doesn't matter if it's Georgia Perimeter College or MIT, all are treated the same), then you're guaranteed admission. Doesn't matter if you had a 600 or 1600 SAT score or if you graduated HS with a 2.0 or a 4.0 GPA.

Why? Because after 30 credit hours your high school stats are no longer included in the USNWR data.

8. GT flunkout

GT flunkout your mom

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    GEORGIA TECH
    I'm always amused at stories of in state kids and parents who tell Tech to öööö off at the transfer option, if Tech is their first choice school

To throw away the degree that brings the most value all because their fee-fees are hurt and they have an overinflated value of the four year college experience.

• Like Like x 7
  9. cbee

cbee Banned (Temporary) Ban Hammer'd

Loc:
    Carrollton, Georgia
    Did not see him. Remember seeing McCarver, Bill White and Mike Shannon. Would go to the Sunday afternoon double headers. Nine inning first game and seven innings in the second game. Always got a Nehi grape in the bottle for a nickel.

• Like Like x 1
  10. beerbuzz

beerbuzz Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Augusta, GA
    Team:
    GA TECH
    I knew this was coming, posted anyway. I would argue my success is more about me and less about Tech. In fact, I would probably be more successful had I gone elsewhere. Had a friend graduate from Harvard, but couldn't get into med school in Augusta. Med school values grades to the exclusion of the rigor of the undergraduate degree. I love Tech and hate UGag, but I'm not a fool. There are many paths to success and most are tied to the individual. Plenty of GT tags on some ööööty ass cars around town.

11. gtphd

Loc:
    THWG
    Team:
    THWG
    It's victim mentality. It doesn't matter what colleges admitted you as a freshman, all that matters is where you graduate from. If he can get a Tech emblem on his diploma, he should. No one will ask whether he transferred in or started at Tech.

• Like Like x 1
  12. gtg970g

gtg970g Flats Noob

Loc:
    Decatur, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    So the value of your car is an indicator of success? I believe studies have shown otherwise.

• Like Like x 2
  13. DressCheeseSideSeaboard

DressCheeseSideSeaboard Cyborg Ban Hammer'd

Loc:
    Tennessee
    Team:
    Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
  14. beerbuzz

beerbuzz Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Augusta, GA
    Team:
    GA TECH
    Thanks for stating the obvious.

15. beerbuzz

beerbuzz Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Augusta, GA
    Team:
    GA TECH
  16. BuckNasty

BuckNasty Damn Good Rat

Loc:
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Team:
    Georgia ööööing Tech
    You must have seen my uncle! Guy has a Gen I Prius ('04, I think) and a box Jeep Cherokee.

Oh yeah, he's a multi-millionare Tech alum (IE).

17. DressCheeseSideSeaboard

DressCheeseSideSeaboard Cyborg Ban Hammer'd

Loc:
    Tennessee
    Team:
    Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
    Just curious, have you seen a GT tag on a Lexus SC430? I may know to whom it belongs.

18. gtGreg768b

gtGreg768b Elemenopee

Loc:
    Atlanta, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    First off, I respect your son's decision. I have wondered about choosing Tech myself for similar reasons you mentioned, but it worked out for me the opposite of the above anecdote... My grades were not great by med school admissions standards, but the dean of admissions at my med school specifically cited the rigor of Tech as a reason why they placed less weight on them in my application. I do think that I would have gone to medical school if I had gone elsewhere, and I might have actually gotten in more easily, but I believe that medical school was way easier and less of an adjustment for me as a result of having my attitude adjusted by Tech.

• Like Like x 5
  19. beerbuzz

beerbuzz Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Augusta, GA
    Team:
    GA TECH
    Don’t disagree and sounds like you don’t either. You made your success. You were not going to be denied.

20. savbandjacket

savbandjacket Dodd-Like

Loc:
    A Bunker
    Team:
    GT
    I had a very similar law school experience. Dean of Admissions basically told me they know Tech is hard as balls and GPA did not matter as much as having graduated and getting a good lsat score.

• Like Like x 1