Georgia Tech among top in recruiting expenses

Something about that doesn't quite make sense to me. How is Marquette #11 when they don't even have a major football team? Do they really spend that much on basketball, where you have 1/5 the recruits?

I think Tech has the problem of having both a top-tier football and basketball program. Notice who is at #15.

probably because we have to fly in more recruits since we can't recruit as well in our own state. i speculate...

i refuse to accept that we spend so much yet we're not much better than 30-40th in recruiting. that is just retarded.

unless i'm misreading this then i'd have to call myself retarded.

Show me how they did their accounting please. There are so many ways to hide expenses (meaning to or not).

How do we know that this isn't DRad taking expensive trips then marking it as a "recruiting expense"? Something along the lines of: 1. Fly to Australia for a week's vacation, 2. Stop by a rugby game for an hour or two and talk to a coach and a couple of players, 3. Bill school. After all, we are seeing kids from Australian and the UK this year.

It's good to know that the athletic fees are being put to good use.

p.s. I have no evidence of this.

probably because we have to fly in more recruits since we can't recruit as well in our own state. i speculate...

The $200K difference between GT and NCSU (the #2 ACC school) for men's recruiting is about 1000 flights. Unless the recruits are flown first class. Then it's about 250 flights.

We were also ranked as the 57th most profitable FBS football team. Also, Indiana was ranked #54. Seriously? We are less profitable than Indiana? I bet Dinich is happy though

So, if I understand the situation correctly:

GT is 32nd in attendance, has one of the highest athletic fees in the country, has a major TV contract, and still ranks 54th in profitability.

GT is 7th in recruiting costs but routinely finishes 30-40 in recruiting class rankings (and has fewer sports to recruit than most schools).

It sounds like we need an efficiency expert at the AA.

wtf?

I know we're good at a bunch of sports, but how are we spending so much more than all the other ACC schools? D-Rad is certainly blowing money fast in every aspect of the AA.

What do you expect when he has virtually unlimited power to finance the AA via federally subsidized student loan debt?

We need business people running the AA, not football people. Let football people manage the program, but let business people manage the sales, marketing, operations, and finances. There's a reason that most boards hire C-level executives from external industries.

when you factor in things such as stadium size, ticket cost, coach salary, recruit bribes, etc I think our program looks a bit better.

How do we know that this isn't DRad taking expensive trips then marking it as a "recruiting expense"? Something along the lines of: 1. Fly to Australia for a week's vacation, 2. Stop by a rugby game for an hour or two and talk to a coach and a couple of players, 3. Bill school. After all, we are seeing kids from Australian and the UK this year.

It's good to know that the athletic fees are being put to good use.

p.s. I have no evidence of this.

I heard Paul Johnson has a favorite "lady" in Praque that he visits once a month or so, too.

Also, rumor has it Mark Richt secretly funds the Cambodian olympic wrestling team and writes it off as recruiting expenses.

Back