Georgia Tech among top in recruiting expenses

wtf?

I know we're good at a bunch of sports, but how are we spending so much more than all the other ACC schools? D-Rad is certainly blowing money fast in every aspect of the AA.

Do you think recruiting at GT is like recruiting at Clemson and FSU? That seems to be an assumption you make with your statement. It's not the same. We have disadvantages. One being we've got a limited curriculum. We're going far and wide to recruit people in a lot of sports. Takes a lot of money.

Sometimes to be competitive, you have to spend money.

It's easy to bring out that more money was spent as compared to the rankings. Do you think the GTAA doesn't know that? Do you think they know why? Of course they do.

Our Athletic program is in pretty good shape if you look at it from top to bottom.

They give the coaches the keys to be successful. I can promise you this. One of the first things that comes out of a coaches mouth when interviewing is, "What kind of recruiting budget are you going to give our staff?"

We were also ranked as the 57th most profitable FBS football team. Also, Indiana was ranked #54. Seriously? We are less profitable than Indiana? I bet Dinich is happy though

Think
  1. How much base money Indiana gets from the Big 10 TV contract. Likewise, think how much Vandy gets from the SEC TV contract.
  2. Think how much cheaper your expenses are in Indiana.
If we were in either conference, our balance sheet would look better. I like a lot about the ACC, but it puts us behind in $$$.
Plus, Duke, Wake, and a bunch of other schools don't bring a lot of travelling fans. Our attendance would be better in that situation, too.

Do you guys honestly think that UGA or LSU is going to report money spent sending recruits to strip clubs any where?

This type of stuff is very easy to hide.

Ranking of teams that beat us in 2011
Virginia 33
Virginia Tech 39
Miami 47
Georgia 5
Utah 61

For all I care, DRad can spend more if it helps us beat VT, Miami and UGA regularly. If we rank near the top 10 in terms of recruitment expenses, coach salaries, athletics expenditure, it is reasonable to expect us to rank in the top 20 in end-of-season standings.

Last edited:
For all I care, D-Rad can spend more if it helps us beat VT, Miami and UGA regularly. If we rank near the top 10 in terms of recruitment expenses, coach salaries, athletics expenditure, it is reasonable to expect us to rank in the top 20 in end-of-season standings.

Way too many people on here gloss over DRad's failure as an athletic director because they find him personable. If the AA operated like a business with a board of directors and shareholders, he would have been gone years ago.

Way too many people on here gloss over DRad's failure as an athletic director because they find him personable. If the AA operated like a business with a board of directors and shareholders, he would have been gone years ago.

DRad's the one who got us back in the black and has done great things for our AA. I don't know what you're talking about.

DRad's the one who got us back in the black and has done great things for our AA. I don't know what you're talking about.

DRad followed D**** B*****. I monkey with one eye could have recovered from that tailspin. And how did Drad increase funds? He forced them away from students.

DRad has created division, alienated a substantial portion of the fan base, and has mismanaged the finances. The system is incredibly inefficient and the fan base simply blames it on "The Hill" while Stanford plays in the Fiesta Bowl.

DRad is fine as a sports guy, but he's totally over his head as a businessman.

DRad followed D**** B*****. I monkey with one eye could have recovered from that tailspin. And how did Drad increase funds? He forced them away from students.

DRad has created division, alienated a substantial portion of the fan base, and has mismanaged the finances. The system is incredibly inefficient and the fan base simply blames it on "The Hill" while Stanford plays in the Fiesta Bowl.

If the AA took as much money from students as any SEC school except Kentucky and Vandy (and maybe the Miss. schools, don't know), you'd be even more pissed off. Just cause he was a dick to grad students doesn't me he sucks at his job. Honestly, as a grad student I'd be annoyed if he actually cared about grad students. They are a very small group compared to undergrads and alumni. What ones of them that care about football at all (a lot of internationals in that group) are probably already attached to the school they did undergrad at.

I'm not saying you shouldn't despise him, but stop throwing your general opinion of him around like it was developed off of objective thought.

If the AA took as much money from students as any SEC school except Kentucky and Vandy (and maybe the Miss. schools, don't know),
Really?
Georgia Tech = $246
Auburn = $192
South Carolina = $173
Georgia = $106
Florida = $57
Kentucky = $38
Alabama = $0
Arkansas = $0
Tennessee = $0
Texas A&M = $0

And that's all of the SEC schools listed here: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2010-09-21-athletic-fees-chart_N.htm

That just goes to show you the "well, it can't be that bad" argument that comes from DRad supporters without looking at the actual data.

I'm not saying you shouldn't despise him, but stop throwing your general opinion of him around like it was developed off of objective thought.
Oh, but it was based on objective data. Did you not read this thread? Have you not seen the stands? Have you not noticed that we no longer have an ACC Championship? At any respectable school that wasn't so self-loathing, he would have been gone long ago, if for no other reason than costing the team the ACC Championship.

And yet we have tons of idiots thinking we should have hired Darwin Curry. If we had there certainly would have been no expenses like those referenced - the GTAA would have been out of business years ago from Curry. But we would have had a ton of North American Thrift Notes.

So, if I understand the situation correctly:

GT is 32nd in attendance, has one of the highest athletic fees in the country, has a major TV contract, and still ranks 54th in profitability.

GT is 7th in recruiting costs but routinely finishes 30-40 in recruiting class rankings (and has fewer sports to recruit than most schools).

It sounds like we need an efficiency expert at the AA.

Dude, give it a rest. This isn't that hard to figure out.

You have a school with a bunch of egghead nerds who think that it is still possible to compete for national championships AND require all the football players to take 3 calculus classes. To make that happen, you have to turn over a lot of rocks to find your potential suitors. THEN, you have to visit multiple times to get them to agree to visit on campus. Finally, you take them out to pretty expensive restaurants so that hopefully they won't notice that you have very few games that sell out, very few hot girls on campus, and a small stadium.

Really?
Georgia Tech = $246
Auburn = $192
South Carolina = $173
Georgia = $106
Florida = $57
Kentucky = $38
Alabama = $0
Arkansas = $0
Tennessee = $0
Texas A&M = $0

And that's all of the SEC schools listed here: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2010-09-21-athletic-fees-chart_N.htm

That just goes to show you the "well, it can't be that bad" argument that comes from DRad supporters without looking at the actual data.

Oh, but it was based on objective data. Did you not read this thread? Have you not seen the stands? Have you not noticed that we no longer have an ACC Championship? At any respectable school that wasn't so self-loathing, he would have been gone long ago, if for no other reason than costing the team the ACC Championship.

OK, I agree that it's one of many fees that are a joke. However, comparatively, GT has a smaller base than many schools and believe it or not, many schools simply hide the athletic fee under something else. It's also a comdenmation of our alumni's contributions. While it may be that we tend to give more to academics than athletics.

What is your proposal? Stop the fee and either money be diverted from academics or cut sports so that the AA can balance their budget? I agree that business people could help fix it. A couple of years ago I was pissed that the U of Minnesota tennis coach was going to Germany to recruit and the golf coach was headed to Australia. What does that do for the state that subsidizes education for every student?

At least it is transparent, unlike what our current president promised but hasn't delivered on.

OK, I agree that it's one of many fees that are a joke. However, comparatively, GT has a smaller base than many schools and believe it or not, many schools simply hide the athletic fee under something else. It's also a comdenmation of our alumni's contributions. While it may be that we tend to give more to academics than athletics.

I believe it's actually a condemnation of our current students. The SEC schools (beyond making up for it by hiding it in other places as you say) are able to sell student season tickets and make a lot of money that way, so their total contributions from students probably outpaces ours.

Yes, morally there is a difference between voluntary and involuntary (as GTPhD has taught us), but when it comes down to the bottom line money is still money. I sincerely doubt Radakovich has more total student revenue than most SEC schools. Looking just at the fees does not paint the whole picture.

You have a school with a bunch of egghead nerds who think that it is still possible to compete for national championships AND require all the football players to take 3 calculus classes.

Management majors no longer have to take calculus. Or CS with the engineers / CS majors. Or Physics. Or Chemistry. And there's a new lab science which is "Chemistry for non Chemistry-related majors".

GT academics have softened up a TON in the last 10 years for athletes riding the M-train.

...many schools simply hide the athletic fee under something else.

GT does hide fees elsewhere. In addition to those fees, GT gave $1.6 million to the GTAA from tuition. That's another $100 per student.

What is your proposal? Stop the fee and either money be diverted from academics or cut sports so that the AA can balance their budget?

Mandatory athletic fees are a moral injustice and should be banned by the NCAA across all schools (not just GT). Programs then meet it however they want. My opinion on how to do that is another topic.

Do you guys honestly think that UGA or LSU is going to report money spent sending recruits to strip clubs any where?

This type of stuff is very easy to hide.

Yeah and I don't think there is a paper trail for payments to hookers and Coke dealers...

Stanford has been good the last two years because they had an amazing QB and a good coach. I'll be shocked if they win more than 7 next year.

Back