Georgia Tech among top in recruiting expenses

Stanford has been good the last two years because they had an amazing QB and a good coach. I'll be shocked if they win more than 7 next year.

This is generally my opinion as well. I don't think they will fall that hard next year cause the players Harbough recruited a couple of years ago are still there but you just have to look at what Harbough did in one year at SF to see what Stanford has just begun to lose.

Edit: As for my comment earlier about student fees, I'll admit I lumped all money students pay together in my consideration and did not separate mandatory fees from student season tickets. I will point out that at most SEC schools the season tickets are probably unofficially mandatory due to demand (something we probably won't have happen at Tech). While the morality of mandatory athletic fees is a worthy argument, we are not the north korea of AA's because of it. Other schools do it too (I won't look it up now cause I'm in a class) and it's merely a business move.

I seriously get the impression that gtphd doesn't actually like sports based on all of his posts here. I think he just created his ST account to bitch at the AA for taking money away from his grad research or something. As a recent grad, I think Drad is going a great job at both dealing with current students and with alumni.

phd - if it upsets you so badly that GT's 'pristine' academic reputation was apparently ruined by having a top ranked business school and caring about athletics, why didn't you go somewhere like MIT? I feel you would have been happier there.

I seriously get the impression that gtphd doesn't actually like sports based on all of his posts here.

Having an opinion that the GTAA is anything but perfect doesn't mean you hate GT athletics. Having an opinion that anything the GTAA does is perfect simply because it's the GTAA just makes you a sheep.

If nothing else, I'm absolutely shocked that fans don't hold DRad more responsible for the loss of the ACC Championship. His arrogance and lack of understanding of the rules was the direct cause.

As a recent grad, I think Drad is going a great job at both dealing with current students and with alumni.
Of course, with the same breath people will complain that the alumni don't give enough and not enough students come to the game as if the AD has no influence on these things.

phd - if it upsets you so badly that GT's 'pristine' academic reputation was apparently ruined by having a top ranked business school and caring about athletics
Well now you're just inventing things. I see that you're a business major mad that in another thread I stated that people who go through engineering school have a different collegiate experience than those on the M-train. I'm sorry, but that's fact.

I see that you're a business major mad that in another thread I stated that people who go through engineering school have a different collegiate experience than those on the M-train. I'm sorry, but that's fact. People who go through the architecture school and Ivan Allen also have different experiences.

I wholeheartedly agree that I had a different experience than engineers. A business major at any school is going to have a different experience than an engineer, that's the nature of the degree. But for you to sit here and repeatedly bash a degree with this holier-than-thou attitude that is actually well-respected is insulting and shows a lot about your character. That's not something I want GT fans to be like.

But regardless - for you to sit here and bash DRad about the mandatory fees, when GT students get basically free season tickets (as opposed to almost every SEC/big-time ACC school) is stupid. Not once have I heard a student complain about having to pay too much in athletic fees - likely because they know their friend at other schools are paying much more. Maybe your grad school friends complain about them, but that is not (and should not be) who the AA focuses their time on.

Really?
Georgia Tech = $246
Auburn = $192
South Carolina = $173
Georgia = $106
Florida = $57
Kentucky = $38
Alabama = $0
Arkansas = $0
Tennessee = $0
Texas A&M = $0

And that's all of the SEC schools listed here: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2010-09-21-athletic-fees-chart_N.htm

That just goes to show you the "well, it can't be that bad" argument that comes from DRad supporters without looking at the actual data.

Oh, but it was based on objective data. Did you not read this thread? Have you not seen the stands? Have you not noticed that we no longer have an ACC Championship? At any respectable school that wasn't so self-loathing, he would have been gone long ago, if for no other reason than costing the team the ACC Championship.

Why don't we rename the $250 fee to "Fee for going to the library instead of football games"

Stanford has been good the last two years because they had an amazing QB and a good coach. I'll be shocked if they win more than 7 next year.

Stanford is also Stanford. No offense to you GT grads out there, but the schools aren't comparable. Stanford has just as good as an engineering school (we can quibble over which is better, but they are at least on the same order of magnitude) and offers better programs just about everywhere else. Plus, again no offense to GT which I think has a terrific campus, but Stanford's campus is amazing.

It doesn't have the proud football history we have, but if there is a smart blue-chip recruit out there who doesn't want to be an engineer or take the M-train, Stanford offers MUCH better education options.

Dude, give it a rest. This isn't that hard to figure out.

You have a school with a bunch of egghead nerds who think that it is still possible to compete for national championships AND require all the football players to take 3 calculus classes. To make that happen, you have to turn over a lot of rocks to find your potential suitors. THEN, you have to visit multiple times to get them to agree to visit on campus. Finally, you take them out to pretty expensive restaurants so that hopefully they won't notice that you have very few games that sell out, very few hot girls on campus, and a small stadium.

A few additional thoughts. I bet recruits across all sports are more likely to fly to GT than other schools. We are only 20 minutes away from the busiest airport in the world. It would be easier for most recruits, unless they are in-state, to fly rather than drive.

Cost of living is probably also a lot higher here. I recall that we take recruits out to the Capital Grille, which I believe is more expensive than any restaurant I've been to in Athens.

But for you to sit here and repeatedly bash a degree with this holier-than-thou attitude that is actually well-respected is insulting and shows a lot about your character.

It actually says more about your character that you think that I'm "bashing" a degree when I'm not.

I'm just not buying the whole "quantitative business" argument in the other thread that's trying to argue that business at GT is much more difficult than at other schools.

But regardless - for you to sit here and bash DRad about the mandatory fees, when GT students get basically free season tickets (as opposed to almost every SEC/big-time ACC school) is stupid.

Mandatory fees and voluntary tickets are completely different things. How upset would you be if Georgia passed a law requiring every citizen to buy season tickets to the Braves in order to increase their attendance and finances? After all, a good Braves team is good for the State of Georgia.

I'm also pissed because DRad justified the argument for increased fees by stating that GT had the lowest fees in the country (not true) and that increasing them to average (which he didn't do) was necessary.

Then he basically flipped off the crowd and stormed out when asked why the money was needed and why he claimed that a fee greater than 80% of FBS schools was "average".

Not once have I heard a student complain about having to pay too much in athletic fees - likely because they know their friend at other schools are paying much more.

Other schools pay less. Why don't GT students complain? Because they're not paying the fees. Sallie Mae and their parents are. The fees are just another thing they need to do to get a Tech degree.

That doesn't make it morally just.

Curious then - what is your take on all of the other "mandatory fees" that have been added lately, increasing tuition hundreds of dollars a semester? Things filed under "Technology fees" and "Transportation fees" that we didn't have to pay when I was a freshman. Should those not be allowed too? After all, not everyone on campus uses GT computers or the Stingers/Tech Trolleys.

Curious then - what is your take on all of the other "mandatory fees" that have been added lately, increasing tuition hundreds of dollars a semester? Things filed under "Technology fees" and "Transportation fees" that we didn't have to pay when I was a freshman. Should those not be allowed too? After all, not everyone on campus uses GT computers or the Stingers/Tech Trolleys.

First of all, the USG "Institutional Fee" is complete crap. It should be a tuition increase. Why it is a Fee instead of Tuition? Graduate students on fellowship (the majority of graduate students at GT) pay fees but not tuition. Adding that fee literally doubles what a graduate student pays per semester.

As for the Athletic fee, it's so bogus that GT doesn't call it a mandatory fee. They call it a "voluntary fee" that you have to elect to pay. However, once you enroll for more than 4 hours, it's automatically billed for "convenience" and there's no way to decline it. Get your head around that. There's a "committee" to approve the fee, but only 3 of 13 members are students, and those three are ANAK members promised a reference from the president if they "play ball".

First of all, the USG "Institutional Fee" is complete crap. It should be a tuition increase. Why it is a Fee instead of Tuition? Graduate students on fellowship (the majority of graduate students at GT) pay fees but not tuition. Adding that fee literally doubles what a graduate student pays per semester.

Actually, I'm pretty sure it's a fee because the school is not allowed to raise tuition every semester (locks for four years - at least it used to, they might have stopped that recently). Not because they have a campaign to screw over grad students.

Actually, I'm pretty sure it's a fee because the school is not allowed to raise tuition every semester (locks for four years - at least it used to, they might have stopped that recently). Not because they have a campaign to screw over grad students.

No, the lock is gone and tuition changes every year. This fee was designed to specifically charge grad students.

A $544 tuition increase would affect about 13,000 students at GT. A $544 fee affects 20,000 students. And this isn't a GT only situation. You have to consider the 16,000 students at GSU and UGA that pay the fee but wouldn't pay tuition.

Seriously. Student fees have nothing to do with our recruiting budget or anything. It's a stupid topic. And apparently one that gtphd feels way too strongly about. It's $500 freaking dollars. If that's such a big deal for you then go find a school that lets you get a degree for free. And doesn't support an athletic program.

No, the lock is gone and tuition changes every year. This fee was designed to specifically charge grad students.

A $544 tuition increase would affect about 13,000 students at GT. A $544 fee affects 20,000 students. And this isn't a GT only situation. You have to consider the 16,000 students at GSU and UGA that pay the fee but wouldn't pay tuition.

Potato - freaking PO-TAH-TO. Are you really here on a FOOTBALL message board bitching, once again I might add, about whether the money they take from you is called a fee or tuition? That's like me arguing with the IRS that the money they forcibly take from me (by threatening jail time if I don't pay) should be labelled a fee instead of a tax? Who the hell cares? If the money is taken, it is taken. $544 = $544 whether it's called a fee, a tuition, a tax, or rape.

If you hate the place that much, go join a UGA message board or something.

Oh, and by the way, you better lump me into that crowd of "it says something about me" because I felt like your statement about engineering versus management was demeaning and condescending as hell, too.

If the money is taken, it is taken. $544 = $544 whether it's called a fee, a tuition, a tax, or rape.

Because a fee is paid by graduate students. Tuition is not.

If you hate the place that much, go join a UGA message board or something.

UGA also pays it. It's morally wrong there, as well.

Most of you guys will complain up and down about oversigning, and that's acceptable. How is it different to complain about mandatory student fees in the NCAA? Oh wait, because it benefits the GTAA and we're all hypocrites in that we only oppose things that hurt the GTAA and support things that benefit the GTAA.

I think DRad has done a reasonable job. I have to give him kudos for thinking outside the box when he asked CPJ to take on the HC job. We have averaged more wins per year than we did with CG and won the ACC Championship. So, that was a good hire. We have been to more NCAA tournaments with DRad than almost anyone else. I think Gregory was also a good hire for BB and he will do well in the future.

Bashing DRad is a little unfair. But if he gets the credit for our good things, he has to take responsibility for some creases that need to be ironed out. The hallmark of championship football/basketball programs is stability - same AD, same HC and minimal staff attrition. We should see good results in a few years. This is a long-term project and great things don't happen overnight.

Back