Georgia Tech vs Wofford Game Thread

What a surprise another QB who can't pass...

^^^^
This. There is a reason why the 3-O offense recruits guys that are predominantly running backs playing the QB position.

I hate to admit it, but the 3-O is a dying offense at the major college level. The days of a Tommy Frazier Nebraska offense, the wishbone, or the veer are long gone. Without offensive balance in today's game, you don't stand a very good chance of being very much above average. Another contributing factor is the proverbial football factories. They get the pick of the litter so to speak. It's just the way the college game has evolved.

^^^^
This. There is a reason why the 3-O offense recruits guys that are predominantly running backs playing the QB position.

Did you watch the second half? JT was throwing great once he settled down. I don't believe he missed a single target after halftime.

Did you watch the second half? JT was throwing great once he settled down. I don't believe he missed a single target after halftime.

Nope. Listened to the radio broadcast half azzed. I don't take much stock in games played against D1AA opponents.

Nope. Listened to the radio broadcast half azzed. I don't take much stock in games played against D1AA opponents.

I hear you, but he did look pretty crisp in the passing game after the first few attempts. I was always a Tevin supporter, but I remember him getting away with some floaters in FCS games. I did not feel that way about JT's passes.

Some of the passes in the 2nd half were good to really good. Not threading a needle, but right on time, right in stride. If the back shoulder throw to Smelter was on purpose, which I believe it was based on the corner's position, it was one of the best throws I've seen in a while. Single coverage, gave our biggest play maker a chance, great play.

He was overthrowing everything in the first half, BFD.

11 of 15 for 282 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT is not a bad day against anyone.

Some of the passes in the 2nd half were good to really good. Not threading a needle, but right on time, right in stride. If the back shoulder throw to Smelter was on purpose, which I believe it was based on the corner's position, it was one of the best throws I've seen in a while. Single coverage, gave our biggest play maker a chance, great play.

3 of those incompletions were on one drive in the 1st half too. Once he settled down, he was pretty darn accurate

Yeah, the back shoulder throw was my biggest surprise in the game. I'll be interested if we see that again or if that was just an underthow, but it worked very well, obviously.

^^^^

I hate to admit it, but the 3-O is a dying offense at the major college level. The days of a Tommy Frazier Nebraska offense, the wishbone, or the veer are long gone. Without offensive balance in today's game, you don't stand a very good chance of being very much above average. Another contributing factor is the proverbial football factories. They get the pick of the litter so to speak. It's just the way the college game has evolved.

The 3-O is a great offense if you have the right QB. Frankly PJ hasn't had a guy who could really run the offense. JT might ultimately become the best QB PJ has had at GT. He certainly has more speed than any of the others, and if he can get the reads and improve his passing, he will be special.

You take stock when our offense plays poorly and don't take stock when the offense plays well?

Not at all. I just don't take as much from a game like this as I would against a team that is our team's equal. Let's see how JT performs against Tulane and then in conference play. If this same type performance continues, then I will come back and say as much.

BTW...the ability of some to "read between the lines" sucks, but if it makes you feel better, then full steam ahead. Also, my statement about QB's and the 3-0 was general in nature, and not a dig about GT, so those that want to serve as defenders of that offense can bash away. You know the old saying, "Opinions are like azzholes, everybody has one."

Considering 3 of his 4 incompletions were gawd awful passes in a row in the 2nd quarter, the rest of the passing game was nearly perfect for JT.

Re watch

Nealy has to take better angles or get faster

Days tried to get outside on the 2nd drive to set up the missed field goal. Lesley gets the yards and moves the chains there.

Green played well, beat his man often.

I'm still as high on JT as yall were about VL his redshirt year.

Not sure what Golden saw in the long TD run before the half, but he took himself out of the play at the snap. Good response on the return and by the offense to get 3 before the half.

R-CG had a good game, but if he'd have wrapped up he'd have had a TFL on the 4th down conversion early in the 4th quarter.

Austin has to make that pick

JT might ultimately become the best QB PJ has had at GT.

JOSHNESBITT150_0519.JPG

I loved J f'n N, but he had a lot of issues with throwing (partly due to receivers not named Bebe) and he didn't have the same speed as JT. That's where the "might" comes in, in that JT could in theory be better than Nesbitt.

But I wouldn't read too much into just this performance. JT had a lot of time and receivers with a ton of cushion.

Back