Georgia Tech vs Wofford Game Thread

I'm not too concerned about JT. He and Smelter really seem to be the only playmakers on our offense. He needs to work on his reads and realize when he needs to keep and when to pitch, but he's definitely more of an option QB than Vad ever was. What's disconcerting though is that Wofford looked better at running the option than we did. That comes down to coaching.

Defense was bad at best. Giving up a 92-yard touchdown against an FCS school is inexcusable. We were out of position, and our lines looked comparable to Woffords', which is hugely disconcerting. Edit: and our tackling was terrible.

I'm not sure which "tactic" you believe I'm using. Unless the truth is a tactic.? Either way you're thinking way too much about conversation during a game thread. I judge Roof by his history as a HC and DC. If you cannot judge a person on their results....:rotfl:

He was DC for a national championship team and also for PSU when they were picking up the pieces after Paterno. There are very few people who can revive the train wreck of Duke in football. Cutcliffe seems to be one.

You apparently judge by ancient history and not more recent results. We were much better last year and the defense carried the inept offense.

He was DC for a national championship team and also for PSU when they were picking up the pieces after Paterno. There are very few people who can revive the train wreck of Duke in football. Cutcliffe seems to be one.

You apparently judge by ancient history and not more recent results. We were much better last year and the defense carried the inept offense.

Lol, and Barrack Obama is/was president of the greatest country in history. PSU is "the" only impressive work he has done.

I was very impressed with JT.

And very disappointed in our DL (minus Gotsis...dude is a beast). I still maintain this is our worst DL we've had in over a decade. Chung-ong/whatever his name is played OK.

Ehhh... DL was mediocre/ok but no where near as bad as our back 7 in run support.

Anybody else notice CPJ grab an assistant coach by the shirt? I think it was after a defensive stop in the 4th. He looked pissed.

I did. I think the coach in question was Rychalski, but I'm not positive on that. I suspect there was a snafu getting the punt return team organized on the field.

Ehhh... DL was mediocre/ok but no where near as bad as our back 7 in run support.

This. I think some of it can be corrected with coaching, so there may be hope.

DL was mediocre but it's no different then what we expected really for what we lost/return.

Lol, and Barrack Obama is/was president of the greatest country in history. PSU is "the" only impressive work he has done.

The defense for Auburn's MNC team was good if you look at efficiency rankings versus total yards or points. Other teams would get a lot of yards and points because Newton's offense would score do quickly.

I can't say how he did exactly at UCF or Minnesota as DC.

The defense for Auburn's MNC team was good if you look at efficiency rankings versus total yards or points. Other teams would get a lot of yards and points because Newton's offense would score do quickly.

I can't say how he did exactly at UCF or Minnesota as DC.

As a Minnesota alum, he did fine. He understands the game and is making inroads into Georgia recruiting. The offense is regressing, not the defense. The 92 yard run was just one busted tackle because they were selling out to pin them deep. It was a risk/reward situation. I'm more surprised that our DB's couldn't run him down.

Well, thank goodness we played better in the 2nd half and avoided embarrassment. In the first half I thought Wofford knew how to shutdown the option and forced us to pass. When we tried Justin looked pretty bad throwing downfield. Thankfully, he settled down and looked great in the 2H throwing the ball.

We were lucky on a couple of plays that could have been disastrous. The muffed punt that rolled out of bounds. The big play on the pitch to Snoddy may have been a forward pass. Andre Smelter is a Godsend and the best player on our team. What a weapon.

The defense on the other hand is a face palm. Nealy just doesn't look very mobile and gets blocked pretty easily. On the 92 yarder, one safety went with the motion man and the Johnson just dived in the line taking himself out of the play. The linebackers just got blocked.

Many of the reserves looked better than the starters.

As a Minnesota alum, he did fine. He understands the game and is making inroads into Georgia recruiting. The offense is regressing, not the defense. The 92 yard run was just one busted tackle because they were selling out to pin them deep. It was a risk/reward situation. I'm more surprised that our DB's couldn't run him down.

No, the 92yd TD was terrible execution. Credit Wofford for great combo block who climbed up to Nealy, but our safeties did us a disservice on that play. 1) IJ was in the box on the backside. His job on play away is slide over the top and make the tackle. He velcroed himself to the tackle. 2) Golden, instead slow playing, he ran to the alley immediately and left the middle of the field wide open

No, the 92yd TD was terrible execution. Credit Wofford for great combo block who climbed up to Nealy, but our safeties did us a disservice on that play. 1) IJ was in the box on the backside. His job on play away is slide over the top and make the tackle. He velcroed himself to the tackle. 2) Golden, instead slow playing, he ran to the alley immediately and left the middle of the field wide open

Aren't you making my point? It wasn't coaching, but execution.

First post after years of reading this site...stuck out of town and missed the game. I had to watch the updates online. The question is, did Wofford play up, or did we just play awful in that first half?

First post after years of reading this site...stuck out of town and missed the game. I had to watch the updates online. The question is, did Wofford play up, or did we just play awful in that first half?

I would say that Wofford executed pretty well on offense, and benefitted by one super brain fart by our defensive coaching staff on a 3rd and long at the 6 yard line or so late in the first half that resulted in having no one in the secondary to tackle the RB on a draw play that went to the house.

We executed poorly on offense, and we either had called runs to Laskey that were blown up or JT does not know how to read in running the option.

Also, Smelter was a man among boys. Couple of times he threw a DB to the ground like they were 12 years old.

IJ and Golden also haven't played for a year. Generally, the secondary would get at least enough contact that other defenders could support.

Back