Gibbs to Bama

Status
Not open for further replies.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
Immediately eligible refers to not having to sit out a year. He can't play in this football season, that would be absurd.
They need a rule change so that players can immediately play as long as they are enrolled in the school. What is absurd is that you can be attending a school and not be able to play for it. If a school allows you to register mid semester that is up to them; but in this case Gibbs is registered and has classes for the semester that just started, it is absurd he can't play for the team due to some arcane rule.

GoGATech

Big Dummy
They need a rule change so that players can immediately play as long as they are enrolled in the school. What is absurd is that you can be attending a school and not be able to play for it. If a school allows you to register mid semester that is up to them; but in this case Gibbs is registered and has classes for the semester that just started, it is absurd he can't play for the team due to some arcane rule.
No they don't. This would only affect teams in the CFP final because nobody else is playing a game after Spring semester starts anyway. Hell classes done even begin until Jan 12. Athletes dont need any more special priveleges like being able to transfer mid-semester when regular students cant.

GoGATech

Big Dummy
Are you quoting actual rules or just what you believe the new rules to be?
That is the actual rule. A player had to have been in the portal prior to July 1st 2021 to play in the 2021-22 season. It's written this way so that a player can't play for 2 different teams in the same season. If they want to fix this and not have people wondering why a certain transfer is practicing but can't play, then they just shouldn't allow spring transfers to practice with the team until the actual spring workouts begin, not bowl prep.

Liberty

Kayar hunu bhanda marnu ramro
Hell classes done even begin until Jan 12.
Damn this semester deal is a real racket. I think we had 12 week quarters and you got a week off in between quarters. The kids been of a month at this point. Insane. No wonder they’re unprepared now when they start. They spend about half the time in class and take a third less classes.

TechRush

Dodd-Like
Speak for yourself. I look forward to every game Tech is going to play in next year.
The eternal optimist.

Too bad it will be a bunch of people complaining about the coach versus people complaining about the people complaining about the coach, all the while some douche will be rubbing it in our faces how well Gibbs is doing at Bama with the weekly Gibbs @ Bama thread.

Liberty

Kayar hunu bhanda marnu ramro
The eternal optimist.

Too bad it will be a bunch of people complaining about the coach versus people complaining about the people complaining about the coach, all the while some douche will be rubbing it in our faces how well Gibbs is doing at Bama with the weekly Gibbs @ Bama thread.
I’m with ya man. I’m interested to see how much authority Long has, see if G*C*’s role gets reduced (ie practices relegated to Coordinators & someone else gets put in charge of game management). We now have Tillman so maybe he’ll tell the DBs to not let WRs to run behind them uncovered. Perhaps we get some discipline now we’re gonna focus on football rather than dancing & internet videos. We got some nice new additions with players as well. I don’t like G*C* and would smile from ear to ear if he was gone tomorrow, but I don’t call the shots. GT is still my school, my Team, etc and it’s better if we do better than having to deal with the aftermath of another extension to the 3-3-3.

gambler

Went all in with 80k
To each their own but I think the portal could only get worse than it is if transfers start happening mid season. Pretty soon you have schools doing octomesters to game the system and get the players in when they need to be.

At that point it might as well be NFL Jr.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
Schools have gotten kickers from the general student population several times during a season. Don't know how this would be any different

aeromech

Dodd-Like
To each their own but I think the portal could only get worse than it is if transfers start happening mid season. Pretty soon you have schools doing octomesters to game the system and get the players in when they need to be.

At that point it might as well be NFL Jr.
That's not necessarily a bad thing though (being NFL Jr.). Alabama lost a WR in the SEC Championship game, they ought to be able to go to the portal and pick up another one. I didn't follow the season real closely; but didn't the Braves pick up some players at the All-Star break to get to the World Series? I don't remember people complaining about the Braves.

swampsting

Now with incredulous facial expression
Former Chattanooga paper sports editor, who now does a not so sports column, had this in his daily blog today:

If you think Brian Robinson was a dude running the football, wait till you get a load of former Georgia Tech star and Alabama transfer Jahmyr Gibbs, who may be the fastest skill position dude in the SEC next year.)

Chattanooga Jacket

Damn Good Rat
I hope this trend of reeling in top players to GT, only to have them leave, doesn’t become a trend. It’s hard enough to get guys like Gibbs to come to Tech.

1982Jacket

Dropper of the F Bomb
So I found this at nflmockdraftdatabase.com. If I'm reading this öööö correctly they had Gibbs ranked around 240th for the 2023 NFL Draft when he was at Tech. Now that he's at Bama they have him ranked 12th.

WTF???

1644350034545.png

The Champ

Dodd-Like
So I found this at nflmockdraftdatabase.com. If I'm reading this öööö correctly they had Gibbs ranked around 240th for the 2023 NFL Draft when he was at Tech. Now that he's at Bama they have him ranked 12th.

WTF???

1644350034545.png
Buoyed by the fact that he is a Heisman candidate now. That said, I don’t think nfl mock draft database.com will be guiding any GM decisions so take it got what it is

JoeCakeEater

Dodd-Like
The website is retarded first of all. It appears to be taking mock draft composite rankings of some sort. Several new 2023 mock drafts dropped in the December/January time frame since the season was over. That's all this is.

Status
Not open for further replies.