Gnonkonde gone

I think if there is some minimum like "if you get X on the SAT you can get in" then we should let him re-take it and we can have a spot for him if he makes the cut.

We could probably hold a spot by telling one of the walk-ons that earned a one year scholarship "We can't renew the scholarship unless this guy can't make the score he needs". That would be fair all around IMO because we guaranteed Junior with a spot with his offer but the walk-ons knew it might only be for one year.

Just thought you all would like to know that Stanford just told one of their commits he could not get in. He had been commmitted since June of 2011. He now has one weekend of visiting to come up with something.

What say you "GT sucks, we are the devil" folks now?

I say......get the kid that couldn't get into Stanford!

I think if there is some minimum like "if you get X on the SAT you can get in" then we should let him re-take it and we can have a spot for him if he makes the cut.
I'm pretty sure that's what happened, and he didn't make the cut. The question is whether we should have the right to waive 'the cut' entirely for guys who are foreign and speak 3 languages and carry an AB average in HS.

As I said earlier, GPA for the purpose of NCAA eligibility is calculated using only core courses. I doubt you get grades in those for attendance.

At least not officially. I just can't believe that a kid could make a B average in high school, and score a 3rd grade equivalent on the SAT. Assuming the numbers stated are accurate, he would have to be given a B for showing up and turning in some simple classwork. Anyone who actually took tests and did reading assignments and math homework to get a B would have to do better on the SAT.

At least not officially. I just can't believe that a kid could make a B average in high school, and score a 3rd grade equivalent on the SAT. Assuming the numbers stated are accurate, he would have to be given a B for showing up and turning in some simple classwork. Anyone who actually took tests and did reading assignments and math homework to get a B would have to do better on the SAT.

You can't believe that there might be teachers who give a kid a grade he doesn't deserve because they know his guardian works for the same school and they don't want to mess up the kid's scholarship opportunities?

What's hard to believe is we didn't attempt to confirm his academic abilities by interviewing his teachers, especially in light of the score a year ago.

From what I have seen of CPJ's previous recruiting and his overall personality, I am sure he tried a 100% to get our first commit into Tech. I have a suspicion that he was overruled by the hill/AA. This just goes to show that a football coach at GT is just another employee.

I can't see Spurrier, Miles, Saban tolerating this sort of interference by outsiders. On campus, these men are untouchable and their decisions brook no argument.

I am not sure if that is a good or a bad thing though.

I'm a 22 year old with a B.S. in EE as well. Tech was hard no doubt, but I also know tons of kids who haven't opened a book in 4 years and graduate with a management degree. After getting out of the Tech bubble I realized Tech wasn't the center of the world. Our Engineering degrees are fantastic

Mgt is easier relative to C.S. or engineering at Tech for sure, we all had train buddies and envied their video game playing free time ... however ... keep in mind a Tech Mgt curriculum is far, far, far harder than a UNC General Studies major, or an FSU Physical Education major.

So much harder, I'd say the difficulty gap is wider than the gap between Tech Mgt and Tech Comp. E lets say.

You can't believe that there might be teachers who give a kid a grade he doesn't deserve because they know his guardian works for the same school and they don't want to mess up the kid's scholarship opportunities?

Well, that's basically what my point is. If the grades and the SAT are that inconsistent, then something is not legit. So, presumably his GPA does not reflect a hard-working student with low aptitude. More likely, it reflects a long history of teachers giving him grades that weren't deserved. That does not do the kid a favor, and instead rewards academic negligence and failure. In that sense, a bunch of high school teachers might be to blame.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/35782/tough-call-for-paul-johnson

here's some decent explanation of what happened behind the scenes. apologies for it being HD (and if it's already been posted)

for the TLDR crowd, it paints a much, much nicer picture of what happened than the AJC ever afforded. the contrast between the two is a little upsetting.

You might not of read the AJC's 2nd article on the subject, which actually went and got info from Tech connected people so that there was another side of the story being mentioned.

No, I did. But the 2nd ajc seemed to merely blame it on the hill having bad timing and being in poor communication with the AA.

This one mentions that they had him retake the SAT at least once, and that he was actually denied admission way back at the beginning of the process. The reason that CPJ let him go is that they were going through the appeal of an exception, but it didn't look like he would actually be granted the exception, so he went ahead and cut him.

No, I did. But the 2nd ajc seemed to merely blame it on the hill having bad timing and being in poor communication with the AA.

This one mentions that they had him retake the SAT at least once, and that he was actually denied admission way back at the beginning of the process. The reason that CPJ let him go is that they were going through the appeal of an exception, but it didn't look like he would actually be granted the exception, so he went ahead and cut him.

This version would make Coach White a bold faced liar (not entirely out of the question). This also would put us in an entirely different light, except there's still imo an issue of last minuteitis. We may learn more after the 1st, or we may end up with a he said she said deal and never really know.

I for one would be thrilled with CPJ if he really did file for an exception, and of course disgusted with the Hill for turning it down, especially if it was done so at the last minute.

Back