Gnonkonde gone

I don't think we have enough evidence to call the HS coach a dumbass.

Oh no? Did you read Carvells updated blog on this situation? The HS coach said himself in the updated article that he has learned more about what it takes to sign a D1 scholly in the last few days than in 11 months while Junior was committed to GT.

Yet he claimed he thought everything was OK up until PJ made the call. That's pretty dumb for a HS coach to not know the basic admittance requirements for a D1 scholly.

Good points, I agree. Is it really the responsibility of admissions though to provide timely admissions decisions for prospective football players? I guess if you want to be a top-tier football school your admissions people need to consider football in their processes.

she has a nice gnonkondonk

You see, I was giving you some respect in my head cause here we are having an intelligent discussion. Then you follow it with this :hsugh:

Anyway, there is probably some truth to that about the admissions people. I think that article from the NY Times that was in a thread here is actually an interesting connection to that. In that they talked to a bunch of academics who don't really like the effect of sports on academics and talked a lot about balance but I think a case like this shows how the academic side could use some change towards sports as well.

I personally think the admissions people should take SOME consideration of athletics when they are deciding who to admit. For this particular case, if Johnson really did only find out recently, that means that Admissions either sat on their decision for a while before give Johnson an straight answer or they took this long just to decide (which would kill the recruits chance of enrolling early if he wanted to).

Using an acceptance rate is a very poor indication of how hard it is to get accepted, as some have posted already. For example, it is commonly quoted that it is harder to get into vet school than med school. But when you look at the details, many of the vet school applicants apply without even having taken the required college courses. Similarly, I think UGA gets a lot more applicants who have a "slim to none" chance of acceptance, while the pool of applicants for Tech is more serious.

If he's got a 3.3 GPA and is trilingual then he should have been given an exception. Period. Unless academics is a cover for us deciding we didn't want him, which would be just as bad IMO.

If he's got a 3.3 GPA and is trilingual then he should have been given an exception. Period. Unless academics is a cover for us deciding we didn't want him, which would be just as bad IMO.

Unless his GPA is inflated from easy classes and he just isn't smart.

I don't know this kid. Maybe the language barrier left him with a raw deal. But he has like a 550 SAT. I bet many of our athletes got a 550 on math alone. Its not just his verbal score that's bad, his math score has to suck as well, and the language barrier shouldn't be as big a deal there.

PJ did what he needed to do. Its the admissions people that took freaking forever to say "no" that is the problem.

3.3 isn't exceptionally high. I would think they would've given him a pass if the issue had only been the reading / writing portions.

I guess something to discuss is how much leniency should be granted to SAs? Where should they fall between regular admission standards and ncaa minimums?

Unless his GPA is inflated from easy classes and he just isn't smart.

I don't know this kid. Maybe the language barrier left him with a raw deal. But he has like a 550 SAT. I bet many of our athletes got a 550 on math alone. Its not just his verbal score that's bad, his math score has to suck as well, and the language barrier shouldn't be as big a deal there.

PJ did what he needed to do. Its the admissions people that took freaking forever to say "no" that is the problem.
If he has a 550, how in hell does that get him in UNC? Btw, what is the NCAA minimum SAT score, anyway?

If he has a 550, how in hell does that get him in UNC? Btw, what is the NCAA minimum SAT score, anyway?
Nevermind, I just looked it up.

With a 3.3 GPA, all you need is a 500 combined score on the SAT to meet NCAA minimums (don't know UNC's). Iow, you can be a rock that breaths and be eligible.

ps. You can actually be eligible with a 400 if you carry a 3.5 or higher.

pps. Only "core courses" are used in gpa calculation.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect...ERES&CACHEID=af238a804e0b869285bcf51ad6fc8b25

whoa... are you saying not 500 each but 500 for your math and verbal combined?

I have to be reading that incorrectly.

Nope. Supposedly he just meets the NCAA minimums and that is about what his score would be.

And as has been said previously, UNC takes anyone that meets NCAA minimums. Might as well be an SEC school in that respect, and it does in fact hurt their academic reputation.

FWIW I think every athlete that comes in the door of a D1 school should have to get an 800 SAT. GPA is pretty meaningless except as a way to rule out kids that won't be getting a diploma. Then exceptions can be handled by the NCAA.

This would rock Bama and LSU and the other factories' world and the best recruits might actually care about education more.

Then the kids dumb as rocks can play in the UFL or USFL or a minor league system to get into the NFL.

FWIW I think every athlete that comes in the door of a D1 school should have to get an 800 SAT. GPA is pretty meaningless except as a way to rule out kids that won't be getting a diploma. Then exceptions can be handled by the NCAA.

This would rock Bama and LSU and the other factories' world and the best recruits might actually care about education more.

Then the kids dumb as rocks can play in the UFL or USFL or a minor league system to get into the NFL.

Very much agree.

I concur. My guidance counselors advised me in a direction that kept me from applying to Georgia Tech as a Freshman.

The Hill isn't the problem. The state of Georgia and the ööööty schools in the rural parts of the state are the problem. It's hard to be a tough school and simultaneously field a competitive football team when you're located in one of the dumbest states in the nation.

Don't they score the SAT as number correct minus 1/4 wrong? I seem to recall that putting your name on it and leaving the answer sheet blank would give you a combined 400. If you answered every question wrong, you lose those 400 points and end up with 0. A combined score of 500 would only be a little better than turning in a blank answer sheet. Some high school classes probably are graded on attendance to a large extent, so the GPA might be very misleading. If all this is true, there is no way he could maintain academic eligibility at Tech. Am I wrong about this?

Just thought you all would like to know that Stanford just told one of their commits he could not get in. He had been commmitted since June of 2011. He now has one weekend of visiting to come up with something.

What say you "GT sucks, we are the devil" folks now?

Don't they score the SAT as number correct minus 1/4 wrong? I seem to recall that putting your name on it and leaving the answer sheet blank would give you a combined 400. If you answered every question wrong, you lose those 400 points and end up with 0. A combined score of 500 would only be a little better than turning in a blank answer sheet. Some high school classes probably are graded on attendance to a large extent, so the GPA might be very misleading. If all this is true, there is no way he could maintain academic eligibility at Tech. Am I wrong about this?
As I said earlier, GPA for the purpose of NCAA eligibility is calculated using only core courses. I doubt you get grades in those for attendance.

I heard that, as did everyone else, but I dont think the auto 400 is true. (the -1/4 for incorrect answers is, of course)

Are we projected to fill all of our scholarship slots? It still sounds like this kid really wants / wanted to be at GT, and would have gone the route of retaking the tests even if it meant he didn't sign on signing day. If we aren't going to be full, I think we should have allowed him to make that decision for himself, while making him fully aware that if he didnt meet whatever score we needed, he would not be coming here.

If we are going to be full though, I totally understand where the coaches are coming from in not wanting to hold a spot just in case he could somehow pass.

Back