Gnonkonde gone

I meant why have any minimum admissions standards for athletes at all? Just let the football team take anyone, if they fail out who cares? It only hurts the football team.

Just as it looks good for the Institute overall when the football team does well, it looks bad for the Institute if the football team appears careless with academics. You can't separate D1A football and the school itself in the modern world.

http://acc.blogs.starnewsonline.com/15152/academic-scandal-has-permanently-soiled-uncs-image/

I call BS on this. You absolutely CAN do it....just about every SEC, Big 10, and most PAC xx schools do it (except Stanford).

And, I don't know about what your first day of classes was like, but my very first class at GT was with Dr. Weiser. She spent the first 10 minutes telling us that noone would make an A because she had only given 2 in 30'ish years of teaching. She then went on to brag that the attrition rate for freshmen at GT was somewhere around 50% and that she was proud to be a contributor to those people failing out.

So, if you're losing 50% of the nerds, who the hell gives a crap if you lose 2 or 3 of the football players? The whole point of the NCAA's graduation rate rule thingey was to be a sort of self-policing rule. If you admit too many non-performers, your graduation rate will suffer and you will lose scholarships.

Some schools apparently don't believe that his test score matters. I'm personally glad that Georgia Tech has a minimum standard for test scores.

With the benefit of more information now, I think what happened is the coaching staff didn't realize there was going to be a problem. They should have known, but didn't. So when the Hill told them Gnonkonde's test scores were too low, they had no recourse but to rescind the offer.

John White, Gnonkonde's coach, is right to be mad in my opinion. Our coaching staff should've realized "Hey, 600 SAT (or similar)--that might be a problem for admissions. We better tell this kid he needs to bring his test scores up, or he might not get admitted." They gave Gnonkonde's coach false confidence that Gnonkonde's academics were OK. I am really disappointed in our coaching staff--they did this kid wrong--but at the same time it was an honest mistake. The Hill doesn't seem to deserve much blame here.

Oh, and one other thing that I think most of you are not aware of here. This kid just moved from Africa 4 years ago. He speaks French, Nigerian, and English but the subtleties of the English language would surely be tough on him in the ACT or SAT. He has a 3.3 GPA in school and is said to be a diligent worker in the classroom. So he isn't your typical "he sucked on the SAT so he will never make it at Tech" kid. Hell, he could understand my Calculus I TA better than I did. Mr Njinimbam was from Nigeria and I struggled to understand every 3rd word he said.

Some schools apparently don't believe that his test score matters. I'm personally glad that Georgia Tech has a minimum standard for test scores.

With the benefit of more information now, I think what happened is the coaching staff didn't realize there was going to be a problem. They should have known, but didn't. So when the Hill told them Gnonkonde's test scores were too low, they had no recourse but to rescind the offer.

John White, Gnonkonde's coach, is right to be mad in my opinion. The coaching staff should've realized "Hey, 600 SAT--that might be a problem for admissions. We better tell this kid he needs to bring his test scores up, or he might not get admitted." They gave Gnonkonde's coach false confidence that Gnonkonde's academics were OK. I am really disappointed in our coaching staff, but at the same time it was an honest mistake. The Hill doesn't seem to deserve much blame here.

While it is true the coaching staff should have known, it is also true the Hill should of told Johnson sooner if Quinlan is to be believed.

It has been said here that it sounds like the legal guardian was counting on an exception and given the test score I think he'd be crazy to think that would work out on its own. As such, I wouldn't be surprised if Johnson was expecting a similar thing, again given what Quinlan said about when PJ found out. THAT is something we probably cannot know until the recruiting process is over or maybe never, depending on how the NCAA rules on the matter actually work. Without knowing what Johnson believed was going on it's hard to tell whether the fault lies with him or the Hill.

Oh, and one other thing that I think most of you are not aware of here. This kid just moved from Africa 4 years ago. He speaks French, Nigerian, and English but the subtleties of the English language would surely be tough on him in the ACT or SAT. He has a 3.3 GPA in school and is said to be a diligent worker in the classroom. So he isn't your typical "he sucked on the SAT so he will never make it at Tech" kid. Hell, he could understand my Calculus I TA better than I did. Mr Njinimbam was from Nigeria and I struggled to understand every 3rd word he said.

Yeah it's not like it hasn't been brought up 13 times in the thread already. I doubt most of us are aware

This is true but that is generally the way college admissions work. There are always exceptions but that doesn't mean there will be one for every case (even if you think there should be).

While it is true the coaching staff should have known, it is also true the Hill should of told Johnson sooner if Quinlan is to be believed.

It has been said here that it sounds like the legal guardian was counting on an exception and given the test score I think he'd be crazy to think that would work out on its own. As such, I wouldn't be surprised if Johnson was expecting a similar thing, again given what Quinlan said about when PJ found out. THAT is something we probably cannot know until the recruiting process is over or maybe never, depending on how the NCAA rules on the matter actually work. Without knowing what Johnson believed was going on it's hard to tell whether the fault lies with him or the Hill.

Good points, I agree. Is it really the responsibility of admissions though to provide timely admissions decisions for prospective football players? I guess if you want to be a top-tier football school your admissions people need to consider football in their processes.

Now his coach/guardian has him going to the Air Force Academy. What is next a full ride to Harvard with a Rhodes Scholarship to follow?

I think this coach/guardian guy is as full of crap as a Christmas Turkey.

Go Jackets!

I think the Hill is not only full of crap, but full of their own ideas of self importance. "by God, we have got to get more control over athletics, ---- the kid."

I will help GTAA all I can, but I can't wait for the wipes on the Hill to ask for even a tank of gas.

I think the Hill is not only full of crap, but full of their own ideas of self importance. "by God, we have got to get more control over athletics, ---- the kid."

I will help GTAA all I can, but I can't wait for the wipes on the Hill to ask for even a tank of gas.
the kid got a really, really bad test score. there's only so much the hill can do man. ultimately it's up to the athletes to make the grade

I'm a 22 year old with a B.S. in EE as well. Tech was hard no doubt, but I also know tons of kids who haven't opened a book in 4 years and graduate with a management degree. After getting out of the Tech bubble I realized Tech wasn't the center of the world. Our Engineering degrees are fantastic but our fans really romanticize Georgia Tech as a whole. If you really think it's harder to get into Tech than UGA then you probably went to Tech 10 years ago when that statement was true.

Middle-50th range for entrance exams:

UGA: 1130 - 1330
Tech: 1230 - 1430

UGA SAT Score Percentages:

Score Range Reading Math Writing
700-800 11% 14% 12%
600-699 47% 48% 45%
500-599 36% 34% 37%
400-499 6% 4% 5%
300-399 0% 0% 0%
200-299 0% 0% 0%

GT SAT Score Percentages:

700-800 19% 47% 17%
600-699 55% 48% 52%
500-599 23% 5% 28%
400-499 3% 0% 3%
300-399 0% 0% 0%
200-299 0% 0% 0%

So, tell me genius - how do these numbers show that it's harder to get into Georgia? Forgive this old alumni that was there more than 10 years ago, but even with my failing eyes as an aged 37 year old I can plainly see that our mid-50th SAT range is 100 points higher than UGA, and our % of incoming students that score in the highest 100 point range is higher in Reading, Math, and Writing.

74% of our incoming students scored above 600 on the Reading section, compared to UGA's 58%. I can see how a future Columbia grad may not have the critical reasoning skills to see the difference.

Middle-50th range for entrance exams:

UGA: 1130 - 1330
Tech: 1230 - 1430

UGA SAT Score Percentages:

700-800 11% 14% 12%
600-699 47% 48% 45%
500-599 36% 34% 37%
400-499 6% 4% 5%
300-399 0% 0% 0%
200-299 0% 0% 0%

GT SAT Score Percentages:

700-800 19% 47% 17%
600-699 55% 48% 52%
500-599 23% 5% 28%
400-499 3% 0% 3%
300-399 0% 0% 0%
200-299 0% 0% 0%

So, tell me genius - how do these numbers show that it's harder to get into Georgia? Forgive this old alumni that was there more than 10 years ago, but even with my failing eyes as an aged 37 year old I can plainly see that our mid-50th SAT range is 100 points higher than UGA, and our % of incoming students that score in the highest 100 point range is higher in Reading, Math, and Writing.

74% of our incoming students scored above 600 on the Reading section, compared to UGA's 58%. I can see how a future Columbia grad may not have the critical reasoning skills to see the difference.

dude... dude...

He's going to Columbia. Therefore, he's better than this argument and he's better than you.

Idk. Maybe they have more exceptions? Anyways, when we let in like 51% of those who apply we're hardly selective anyways. Hopefully we can all agree on that.

Well, it's 61%. And UGA accepts 56%. I can see where you think this difference is massive and obviously proves your point.

As for this "selectivity measure", let's say you have 2,000 open spots in a freshman class, and you get 5,000 applicants. Now, next year you get 6,000 applicants. Are you an obviously better school in year 2 because you accepted 33% rather than 40% of applicants?

The kid seems to have trouble with standardized tests. Or his high school gave him good grades for nothing. Maybe "the hill" should have advised the coaches to tell the kid he needed to take some SAT prep classes.

UGA just lost Chester Brown for the same reason. Grades.

Only Brown was smart enough to see the writing on the wall and decommit himself. Richt was just gonna let it drag on. At least PJ gave the best opportunity to succeed unlike Juniors dumbass HS coach.

UGA just lost Chester Brown for the same reason. Grades.

Only Brown was smart enough to see the writing on the wall and decommit himself. Richt was just gonna let it drag on. At least PJ gave the best opportunity to succeed unlike Juniors dumbass HS coach.

I don't think we have enough evidence to call the HS coach a dumbass.

Back